The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samsung's mirrorless APS sensored camera

retow

Great to see more competitors entering the market. Let's hope the big ones are joining soon. If Leica only decided to launch a Digilux 2/1 to compete in this market segment.

Brian Mosley

I'm not sure what the X1 says about Leica's interest in EVIL cams... for my money, Sony is the one to watch.

Cheers

Brian

Diane B

Ahhh ... the anti-G1 sledgeing continues
how short are peoples memories?
I had to go back and find this quote--I hoped they wouldn't be that forgetful-- LOL. In truth, the quote is "and by the mere fact it was the first rangefinder style mirrorless interchangeable camera". Its the 'rangefinder' that is the defining word in there--thus leaving out the G1.

RichA

Douh!

I saw the image of the AF assist lamp here and thought it was a spirit level (hopeful thinking I guess)

still ... it would be nice :)
Spirit levels are like slide rules, completely antique. All that can be done in the firmware now.

Jonas

I had to go back and find this quote--I hoped they wouldn't be that forgetful-- LOL. In truth, the quote is "and by the mere fact it was the first rangefinder style mirrorless interchangeable camera". Its the 'rangefinder' that is the defining word in there--thus leaving out the G1.
But to be honest your quote is taken from a moment after SJ changed the text. "rangefinder style" wasn't there from the start.

Brian Mosley

But to be honest your quote is taken from a moment after SJ changed the text. "rangefinder style" wasn't there from the start.
Creative correction there! instead of acknowledging that G1 was the first - a sneaky insertion of 'rangefinder' gets the job done :rolleyes:

Cheers

Brian

Jonas

Creative correction there! instead of acknowledging that G1 was the first - a sneaky insertion of 'rangefinder' gets the job done :rolleyes:
But that was expected, wasn't it; they have a quite "creative" approach to a lot of things at the DPR office.

Diane B

Ah, well---I just read it this morning for the first. It was there when I read it LOL.

It was an interesting read, but there are a number of things missing for me--as for others it appears. We'll see how it does and what it spurs Oly and Panny to do--if anything.

Jonas

(...) We'll see how it does and what it spurs Oly and Panny to do--if anything.
That's the real question, isn't it?
I have hopes for a mirrorless rangefinder style camera with a good EVF, articulating LCD screen and a big sensor. Seeing how LIVE cameras have been a success (read µ4/3) they are now followed by a first attempt from the APS-C crowd. That can only be good.
Seeing how the LIVE cameras have been a bit on the expensive (read µ4/3) side some competition can be good only.
And so on... ;)

regards,

/Jonas

pellicle

Spirit levels are like slide rules, completely antique. All that can be done in the firmware now.
well, not without the right hardware inside ;-)

you can't make anything you like in firmware without the right hardware to back it up ... For example I understood that that the orientation sensor on the Panasonic is in the lens not the body.

Software is cunning stuff, but its not magic.

not to say I don't desire the coupling of orientation sensors and artifical horizons but a bubble level is quite cheap (if perhaps less useful).

pellicle

But that was expected, wasn't it; they have a quite "creative" approach to a lot of things at the DPR office.
... yes they do don't they. I'd want to complain, but that would be :deadhorse:

still, the cunning insert is meaningless as the Samsung isn't a rangefinder camera (any more than the EP is).

sigh ... still, that's marketing! None the less the site remains valuable as long as you can understand to remove the subtle tint they place on things.

Diane B

A bit OT, but I thought it interesting that they felt the 'buzz' of the EP1 because of the rangefinder styling created the interest in m4/3rds--and feel the NX10 and G1/GH1 are conservatively styled (DLSR like). The implication I get is that DLSR styled mirrorless cameras won't do as well in the marketplace as smaller/slimmer, flashier 'retro' bodiesl And yet---look at the poll here for favorite in m4/3rds camera. Of course the poll displays biases and we don't represent the total market in any way, but--in reading people's comments, it comes down to what I feel--if I could have only one m4/3rds, it would be the G1/GH1.

I've also understood that the G1/GH1 were right near the top for favorite cameras in Japan--that's what Panny hoped I know, but I wonder if its not that it offers more for the money in the end and still gives a small/light body. (I might have spent more time considering this--but these are my first impressions).

Diane

T

thearne3

hmmm......

Did they also insert the reference to the G1 in the very first paragraph?

"Around a year ago the Panasonic G1 ushered in a new era of 'mirrorless' interchangeable lens system cameras..."

There may be a bias at DPR (hey, we're all human!), and, like Diane, I only read the story a few minutes ago...

...but it seems to me the article gives credit where credit is due.

Count me in for:

1. Applauding the competition
2. Still preferring the more traditional size/feel of the E-P1/GF1 - a lot like my OM-2.

My 2 cents.

Best,
Tom

Brian Mosley

One thing about dpreview articles... they get hammered to death with feedback from the forums. Free proofreading by thousands!

Just leave any new article a couple of days to 'mature' and all will be better :D

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Brian, That comes with the territory. No sympathies whatsoever. What is their objective? Cash, isn't it? This isn't some free public service.

So, it is imperative that they get their mundane facts straight or get criticized for the mistakes.

It is sad that Samsung would choose to advertise their new camera via dp revs and such outlets.