The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samsung's mirrorless APS sensored camera

Terry

A samples gallery has now been posted. I'm not on a great monitor and didn't download the images but they looked very nice to me at screen size.

Martin S

Just reviewed the Samsung NX-10 images on dpreview.

Look pretty good to me. Nice detail in the chimney shot of the wood grain, and knot. Some of the grass on the landscape shot could be a little more defined. Noise of piano keyboard noticeable with both luminescent, and chromatic type both present (iso 1600).

Overall, not a bad first image collection considering both the body, and lens were early pre-production models.

This larger APS-C competitor may shake the troops at Panasonic, and Olympus. Although the improved dynamic range, and noise profile of this larger sensor have yet to be proven.

Need some serious, and objective testing.

I wonder what Leica is thinking about the pricey and fixed lens X-1???

We need pricing, and availability info ASAP.

Martin

P.S. Agree with Brian about the need for some RAW files for more accurate evaluation.

W

wblynch

... Now we are seeing the next evolution towards that goal with the X1 and the NX10 (funny how similar their monikers are).
Must be that "subliminal advertising" at work.

Perhaps the mind turns 'NX10' into 'N0 X1' ~~ :)

kwalsh

Random comments to other's posts and a few of my own thoughts (as if anyone cares :) ):

- Usability in the DPR preview: They do at least mention it has a snappy CDAF that compares favorably with the GF1 even in this early firmware version.

- High ISO/DR: It is 14.3MP vs. 12MP with about a 1.25 crop factor so the pixel area is actually very similar between the NX and G1/GH1/GF1/EP-1/EP-2. No real native advantage to ISO/DR in this case, slight advantage in resolution. I think various other sensor design trade-offs will always trump the tiny theoretical advantage between APS-C and m43 sensor sizes.

- EVF appears to be a disappointment. I mean the G1/GH1 pulled off an EVF with a size that bests every APS-C DSLR and nearly matches many FF DSLRs. That's one of the benefits of EVFs, you can make 'em BIG!

- New display technology is definitely interesting, but after using the G1 on a couple trips now I've become a complete convert to articulating LCDs (with an EVF as well). For me it has gone from "silly gimmick" (before I'd used one) to "must have".

- The limits of a new proprietary lens system from scratch is going to put off a chunk of the market place. On the flip side, I suspect a surprising number of entry level Nikon/Canon users never get past th 18-55/55-200 combo. But if you complain about the m43 lens selection don't even start with the NX!

- Hurray for competition! Really, even if the NX proves to be of no value at all what I really read in the DPR preview was that there are many more EVILs from other manufactures on the way. Very good news for all us consumers. For me, until a FF EVIL comes out I'm probably going to stick with m43 - it hits the size/weight/IQ trade-off just about perfectly for me and for my landscape shooting the lens lineup is already fine as it is.

- As someone else said, no "shoot w/o lens" menu option is nothing to worry about. None of my Canons have such silliness and they work fine with any old lens (or no lens) without having to set a menu option.

- Someone on another forum (I think a DPR thread I was in) pointed out if it does handle old MF lenses well that it will be a bit easier to find legacy lenses with a wide FOV on a APS-C vs. m43. Also, from the DPR preview it sounds like they need to change the firmware to make MF actually workable (not enough zoom it sounds like).

- This is a completely personal thing to me, but I actually like shooting 4x5 aspect ratio the most and so going with the 3:2 sensor size doesn't do much for me. I understand many long time 35mm and DSLR users have come to think 3:2 is the "magic" aspect ratio but I guess they've never shot a portrait orientation before :) . Complete personal preference obviously, but again speaks well of the GH1s true multi-aspect approach.

Ken

nugat

- EVF appears to be a disappointment. I mean the G1/GH1 pulled off an EVF with a size that bests every APS-C DSLR and nearly matches many FF DSLRs. That's one of the benefits of EVFs, you can make 'em BIG!

Ken
G1 EVF is second biggest among FF cameras after Canon D1. The third is Sony A900. Actually they could have made it even bigger, but then one needs to literally "look around" in his field of view. Seriously.

Rawfa

I was not too impressed with the iso 1600 samples.
Quesabesde just posted the price that Samsung Spain has provided them. It's supposed to be around 650€ and it should be available in march.

W

wonderer

I am pretty sure that this is not a deliberate attempt at bias and that you guys are probably reading too much into it. I had read the preview right after it was posted and I know that it started by mentioning that "around a year ago the Panasonic G1 ushered in a new era .........". I had noticed the EP1 related error but didn't have any reason to believe that it is an attempt to mislead considering that they start the article by mentioning the G1.

Plus dpreview has always been full of praise for panasonic m43 cameras. When G1 was originally launched dpreview had given it an overwhelmingly positive review and declared it to be the future etc etc. In short I don't see any evidence to suggest any bias :)

... yes they do don't they. I'd want to complain, but that would be :deadhorse:

still, the cunning insert is meaningless as the Samsung isn't a rangefinder camera (any more than the EP is).

sigh ... still, that's marketing! None the less the site remains valuable as long as you can understand to remove the subtle tint they place on things.

W

wonderer

I know there was a thread probably on dpreview discussing whether the Leica M lenses could be mounted on the NX and someone suggested that it might not be possible based in its register distance.

What is the lens register distance on NX10?
anyone knows?

Brian Mosley

I don't think there's any institutional bias, just natural and individual reviewer bias... contrary to popular belief, they're all human :rolleyes:

The major value, is that there are a good number of highly experienced, and quite generous forum members who contribute corrections and discussion which gets harvested into the reviews. It would be nice to see credits being given to individuals who help with the proofreading - perhaps at the bottom of the reports, but don't hold your breath ;)

Cheers

Brian

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I see my usually problem with this style camera, the fauxpentaprism look to hide the pop-up flash.

It's not an SLR don't make it look like one. I'll keep waiting on my X1.

Jonas

According to an image showing the camera from the side it is 25.5mm, from the press material:

That's from DPR. I guess the numbers are rounded as the Pentax K-mount register distance usually is said to be 45.46mm.
(The Olympus Pen system is 28.95mm)

regards,

/Jonas

(EDIT: That was a reply to photomorgana, posted before I noticed the thread has this second page as well...)

V

Vivek

Longer flange length will make adapters for some legacy lenses a bit more difficult to design, and the larger sensor will probably make for worse edge performance with RF lenses. That is, if Samsung has a 'shoot without lens' option (not noted in the preview.)

All those concerns are answered by now.

Can use any manual lens and will allow for infinity focus of many old lenses.:) Also, it isn't clear how farther away the shutter is located in this cam. If it is closer to the sensor than the mount, in principle, even c-mount lenses can be used.

As someone mentioned, the lack of "shoot without lens" is a Nikon curse. Very unique to them.:thumbdown:

I am glad they have the pop up flash there. :thumbs:

Any market price around 400 Euros would be attractive to me.

vincechu

Hey everyone here's more info on the NX10:

A first look with test images and size comparison:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/samsung_nx10__first_look_news_293656.html

UK Pricing information as well as information on available kits:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...nx10_camera_price_update_2pm_news_293396.html

For sake of comparision:

The NX10 will cost £599.99 in a kit that includes an 18-55mm lens
G1 = £449, twin lens is £639
GF1= £570 with 14-45, £670 with 20mm
GH1 = £650 Body only, £1070 with 14-140
E-P1 = £529 with 14-42, £620 with 17mm, £700 twin lens with vf.

*note that these are prices in the UK in GBP, and also the Panasonic/Olympus prices i've quoted are not full recommended retail prices like the NX10 is, so realistically the NX10 might go for £500 in stores, so I guess its priced to compete*

NX10's looking very good, hope it makes Panasonic and Olympus up their level - competition from samsung in the mirrorless field should be a good thing regardless of whether u agree with Samsung that they're not in the same market as M4/3rds.

B

bruderadler

G1 EVF is second biggest among FF cameras after Canon D1. The third is Sony A900. Actually they could have made it even bigger, but then one needs to literally "look around" in his field of view. Seriously.
According to specs Canon is 0.76x, Sony is 0.74x and G1 is 0.7x, so G1 came third...

But the OM-1 I had had 1.0x....