The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 with (older) German lenses

arri

Schneider Cinegon 16mm F1.4

Astro Macro Gauss Tachar 40mm F2

Hugo Meyer Kino Plasmat 25mm F1.5

arri

Very nice photographs Arri !
Quiet a set of exotic lenses you are showing lately. :)
Would like to see more of the Astro Macro Gauss Tachar 40mm F2.

Best, Michiel
Hi Michiel,
the astro lens is not mine anymore, I feel it were too heavy and too large for the G1, I made only a handful of pictures with it and I don´t find them really good, the lens has a lot of internal reflexions, it is only single coated, and so it makes big problems with the M4/3 sensor, maybe it is a better choice for the APSc sensor size of the Sony NEX or Samsung NX10.

Michiel Schierbeek

I was just curious because of the outrageous prices on E-bay for these Astro Tachar lenses and I thought the contrast in sharpness and the OOF area was interesting.
They all look rather heavy indeed.

Michiel

Eastwestphoto

Michiel,

I love the brave soul biking on the pond:thumbup: Are the top two photos wide-open?

Do you have any experience with Steinheil Munchen lenses? I've recently acquired an Auto-D-Tele-Quinar 135/2.8 and an Auto-Quinon 55/1.9 (both Exakta mounts). Just waiting for an adapter:)

Cheers!
Jim
Hi, Don here from eastwestphoto.net,
I used a Steinheil Tele-Quinar 135mm F:2.8 m42 mount in 1965~66 as yearbook Photo editor for my high school. I took thousands of photos processed in Microdol, rodinal and diafine all in B&W. What I rememeber the most was the amazing sharpness of the negatives and the fine printing I did on a Leitz focomat enlarger with those negatives. I could crop 25x with no problems. Somewhere in 1982 I sold the lens for peanuts when I switched back to Nikon gear. m42 thread gear was dead in the water in those days and my old Pentax H1a was not working.
Today I recieved in the mail from a eBay seller that exact same lens back again, in mint condition. Better than the one I sold back in 1982. I tightened some tiny loose collar screws and the helicoil was as smooth as silk! The optics were prestine, stunning, the A & M switch working and the bladed aperature oil free and working well. Well, where's my adapter and away I go! I mounted it on my test camera Lumix G-1 m4/3 rd's. The lens shade installed, the photos were unbelieveable! Just like I remembered as a kid, sharp as hell, great contrast. Look I have tested close too 250 lenses from the quality days of 1936~1978 on my G-1 and this lens is the equal of the best of the best!
I couldnt be happier, my G-1 loved the lens in weight and size and the chip performed well such that at 16x the image was still sharp! I still contend that the smallest best lens I tested was the Kodak Cine Ektar 40mm F:1.6 S type on a Cmt. adapter to m4/3 rd's and the Leica summicron-C 40mm F:2 was a stunning small lens also. Overall I rate the 16mm movie cameras lenses, best in the photo world, especially angenieux 25mm F:0.95, but the word is out on those lenses and they command small fortunes these days on ebay. Kino & plasmats are wonderful also.
As a shooter @ 270mm F:2.8 this lens will join my stable of fine concert lenses, when I am stuck in the cheap seats! The G-1 is a solid performer with stage lighting and even a cheap 500mm mirror lens @ 1000mm F:8 performs miracles from the very back of a giant arena! I love the G-1, love the adapting craze, I helped create on ebay and love experimenting. Now my loved Steinheil is home too stay for the rest of my life anyway. Regards, Don

ps. check out exakta jacks steinheil page, he has photos of all the exakta steinheil lenses and data!

Pat Donnelly

Don,
Glad to see you reunited with an old friend!

Welcome to the Forum too!

The 500mm mirror on m4/3 is a winner combo, even at F8! I prefer the IBIS of an ep-1 tho'.

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi, Don here from eastwestphoto.net,
I used a Steinheil Tele-Quinar 135mm F:2.8 m42 mount in 1965~66 as yearbook Photo editor for my high school. I took thousands of photos processed in Microdol, rodinal and diafine all in B&W. What I rememeber the most was the amazing sharpness of the negatives and the fine printing I did on a Leitz focomat enlarger with those negatives. I could crop 25x with no problems. Somewhere in 1982 I sold the lens for peanuts when I switched back to Nikon gear. m42 thread gear was dead in the water in those days and my old Pentax H1a was not working.
Today I recieved in the mail from a eBay seller that exact same lens back again, in mint condition. Better than the one I sold back in 1982. I tightened some tiny loose collar screws and the helicoil was as smooth as silk! The optics were prestine, stunning, the A & M switch working and the bladed aperature oil free and working well. Well, where's my adapter and away I go! I mounted it on my test camera Lumix G-1 m4/3 rd's. The lens shade installed, the photos were unbelieveable! Just like I remembered as a kid, sharp as hell, great contrast. Look I have tested close too 250 lenses from the quality days of 1936~1978 on my G-1 and this lens is the equal of the best of the best!
I couldnt be happier, my G-1 loved the lens in weight and size and the chip performed well such that at 16x the image was still sharp! I still contend that the smallest best lens I tested was the Kodak Cine Ektar 40mm F:1.6 S type on a Cmt. adapter to m4/3 rd's and the Leica summicron-C 40mm F:2 was a stunning small lens also. Overall I rate the 16mm movie cameras lenses, best in the photo world, especially angenieux 25mm F:0.95, but the word is out on those lenses and they command small fortunes these days on ebay. Kino & plasmats are wonderful also.
As a shooter @ 270mm F:2.8 this lens will join my stable of fine concert lenses, when I am stuck in the cheap seats! The G-1 is a solid performer with stage lighting and even a cheap 500mm mirror lens @ 1000mm F:8 performs miracles from the very back of a giant arena! I love the G-1, love the adapting craze, I helped create on ebay and love experimenting. Now my loved Steinheil is home too stay for the rest of my life anyway. Regards, Don

ps. check out exakta jacks steinheil page, he has photos of all the exakta steinheil lenses and data!
Hello Don,

This is a nice story with a lot of history to it.
Sorry it is a little late answer but I sort of forgot about this thread.
It sure is a lot of fun giving those old lenses a new life, although to many people know about it by now :cry:
Do you know if there is a any difference in quality between the silver Steinheil München Auto-Tele-QUINAR 2.8/135 in Exakta mount or the Zebra version in M42 mount?
Those are a bit more reasonable priced these days.
According to Captain Jack it exist as Steinheil Muenchen Auto-D-Tele-QUINAR 2.8/135 in Exakta mount and seems to be rare and of a later make.

I sure would like to see some photos with your lens!

Michiel

Winkel, those are some stunning results with the Zeiss Planar lenses. Bitingly sharp. Pity they're so pricey!

I'm very impressed with the Pentacon and Meyer Orestor 135mm also. I'm not familiar with the Meyer. Out of curiosity, what sort of vintage is it, and what type of lens mount does it have?

Winkel

Thanks Tribal-Warrior. I managed to pickup three Zeiss lenses with a Contax RTS III for an incredible deal... still pricey but I sold the 25mm to recover about 60% of the cost. The right place at the right time scenario.

The 85mm and 60mm are among my most used as they're quite sharp and exude quality when handling them. If you search a bit here you'll find that other members seem to be very happy with Nikkor equivalents and they're cheaper too :)

Cheers,
Jim

Michiel Schierbeek

I'm very impressed with the Pentacon and Meyer Orestor 135mm also. I'm not familiar with the Meyer. Out of curiosity, what sort of vintage is it, and what type of lens mount does it have?
Meyer lenses have mostly M42 or Exakta mounts. They were made for the Exacta and Exa cameras, later for Praktica, Zenit and other Eastblock Cams.
Most of them are fine and have smooth bokeh.
Later the brandname turned into Pentacon and in the beginning they also looked exactly the same. Later on they turned black and got other shapes.
The Pentacon 50/1.8 costs nothing and is actually a good performer.
The 90mm Orestor is also nice and small.

Michiel

Michiel Schierbeek

This tiny lens is an old German lens so it was time to excavate this thread.
These little quys were playing in front of the entrance of the exhibition space.

Michiel

kds315

I guess that qualifies as this HYPERGON was invented by Emile von Höegh around 1900 for GOERZ...