The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The main flaws of all micro 4/3rds cameras

RichA

No, we do not yet have the micro 4/3rds to end all micro 4/3rds cameras. Here, I stay away from things like, "Where's the pro micro 4/3rds with the weatherproof body?" and such and concentrate on what we know are the shortcomings of current bodies.

G1: Not compact enough, not as attractive (sometimes it means something) as the E-P's and GF1.
GH1: Too expensive with the obligatory 14-140mm lens.
GF1: Poor resolution EVF option.
E-P1: Slow and hunty AF and no EVF.
E-P2: AF no better than E-P1.

Now we need:
The AF of the G1/GH1, the compactness of the GF1, the EVF of the G1/GH1/EP-2 (built into the body).
Will the GF2 combine it all?

ustein

Contributing Editor
For video there are more missing features with the GH1:

- Support for external monitor
- Better Codec
- 30fps frame rate
- Better AF during vide- better control for sound
- built-in ND filter
- smother manual focus

Godfrey

G1: Not compact enough, not as attractive (sometimes it means something) as the E-P's and GF1.
That's a matter of opinion. I prefer the G1 just as it is, or a little larger. It's certainly not a "flaw" to be "unattractive". I look through a camera, not at it.

ustein

Contributing Editor
That's a matter of opinion. I prefer the G1 just as it is, or a little larger. It's certainly not a "flaw" to be "unattractive". I look through a camera, not at it.
I have no issues in terms of form factor with G1/GH1 either. Of course I want a good EVF. The G1/GH1 EVF is ok.

slau

I still have to see either a 'perfect' still camera or camcorder yet :). You can find some 'imperfection' about ANY camera or camcorder. The AF of G1/GH1 has tons of rooms for improvement.

Ron Evers

Times two here.

I would prefer the grip on the G1 to be a bit larger & house 4 "AA" batteries rather than the short life Panasonic cube.

hodad66

My only gripe would be the reports of the strap lugs
pulling out. Otherwise..... I'm very happy with my
G1 after many generations of canon DSLR's.

slau

My only gripe would be the reports of the strap lugs
pulling out. Otherwise..... I'm very happy with my
G1 after many generations of canon DSLR's.
I have read a few reports of broken lugs too but how many actually are 'defects' are still not sure. Tough to say the strap lugs are problem based on that. I have been using my GH1/G1 for months now and so far so good.

Godfrey

Times two here.

I would prefer the grip on the G1 to be a bit larger & house 4 "AA" batteries rather than the short life Panasonic cube.
To house 4 AAs, the grip would have to be about double the size and the camera would weigh 20% more with AA NiMH 2600mah batteries in it. And I get 500-700 exposures per charge with the Li-Ion battery ...

I sincerely doubt that AAs will be all that longer lived per charge. My Pentax *ist DS used AAs and typically got 500-600 exposures per charge on NiMH cells. I was very glad when Pentax went to a Li-Ion battery in the K10D as it proved far more consistent, smaller, and easier to manage.

Godfrey

I have read a few reports of broken lugs too but how many actually are 'defects' are still not sure. Tough to say the strap lugs are problem based on that. I have been using my GH1/G1 for months now and so far so good.
After a year+ of constant use, my G1 looks virtually as new and the lugs are not loose. I don't baby it, but I do treat it with proper respect as a precision optical-electronic instrument.

hodad66

I just read about this today. Normally I never use the strap.
I either use a holster bag or a shoulder strap connected to
the tripod mount. I just ordered 2 hand straps because my
GF said that she would like the wrist strap for safety.......
funny that I would see this discussion today.... :)

photoSmart42

The only two flaws I see with this format are:

1. Sensors don't lend themselves for high ISO performance
2. Sensor size makes wide angle shots more difficult

Other than that, I love everything about my G1/GH1. Frankly I don't need a more compact version, and I'm doing fine without the GF1/EP-1 format, so the fact that 'we need' something that compact is certainly debatable.

I'd be very happy with an improved sensor that could handle higher ISO (at least up to 3200, but maybe 6400, with the same quality it handles 800 now) - that to me would be the perfect m4/3 camera. I don't think that's too far off into the future, and it seems the format has been adopted widely enough to interest manufacturers in continuing development on it.

kwalsh

Another vote for G1 in the form factor it is already in. I suppose you could nip a few corners but I still want a big EVF, articulating LCD and grip.

Another minus for AA - I like lithium because it is low leakage and high energy density. No NiMH silliness please - heavier, bulkier and can't sit on the shelf.

I think one of the easiest fixes to the "problems" you outline would be a GH1+14-45 kit to supplant the G1. And for varieties sake it'd be nice to see G1/GH1 type body from Olympus.

Ken

ustein

Contributing Editor
The only two flaws I see with this format are:

1. Sensors don't lend themselves for high ISO performance
2. Sensor size makes wide angle shots more difficult
1. Yes

2. what about the 7-14mm (14-28mm equivalent). Not wide enough?

Diane B

To house 4 AAs, the grip would have to be about double the size and the camera would weigh 20% more with AA NiMH 2600mah batteries in it. And I get 500-700 exposures per charge with the Li-Ion battery ...

I sincerely doubt that AAs will be all that longer lived per charge. My Pentax *ist DS used AAs and typically got 500-600 exposures per charge on NiMH cells. I was very glad when Pentax went to a Li-Ion battery in the K10D as it proved far more consistent, smaller, and easier to manage.
I guess its personal, but I hate AAs for camera use. I get excellent usage from my OEM batteries (I have 3 that I rotate between 2 bodies).

As to appearance-- I don't mind the G1's appearance at all. Seems to me that there was a hue and cry about the 'faux' prism hump and that it looks like a mini-DSLR, but it takes care of the EVF--and I wouldn't want to lose that. If they find another place for the EVF that works, that's fine with me. I prefer a camera that handles nicely and the G1 does for me in its present form--much better than the GF1 and EP-1--the grip fits me. I understand that it might be a bit small for some men. All in all, it generally suits. I do have a GF1 and like it also, but I shoot differently with it--and the lack of a little bit more grip makes it less nice to handle--for me. I also don't care about it being smaller. The GF1 is as small as I want it--and the G1 can evolve, but I don't want it substantially smaller.

There isn't a perfect camera. Things will change and improve--hopefully, but its a doggone good design for a first.

Godfrey

Godfrey, how does one pronounce that model? I've always been curious.
Honestly have no idea how Pentax intended it to be pronounced.
I've heard some Pentaxers call it 'star-ist dee ess'.
Dumb name, but eh? not to worry.

It was a fine little camera, made many thousands of excellent photos for me.

Ron Evers

I have never counted the number of shots I get but I sure get more on my S5 with 4 AAs than on the G1. I do take exception to your assertion that the size would increase dramatically to include 4 AAs in the G1. As you can see in the pic below there is only a size differential of 6mm between the S5 & the G1. The S5 is much nicer in the hand, particularly with a longer lens.

As for shelf life of AAs, eneloop batteries from Sanyo hold full charge for months.

pellicle

Hi

on the subject of batteries I got about 700 images in rome with my G1 before the battery was cactus. This was a mixture of kit zoom and some legacy lenses (90% kit zoom)

I know that I photocopied a 1600 or so page book on one battery using an FD 28mm legacy lens.

The BLB13E battery I have is "rated" at supplying 9Wh (7.2V @ 1250mAh) now assuming the 4 1.2V 2700mAh AA's were used in series (to give 4.8v) we're still up on power (having 12.96Wh available).

The only issue I see is "can the camera and its CPU operate at 4.8V"

so if the cameras technology can't operate on 4.8v then its question answered really as voltage "step up" methods will not be efficient.

on the issues of the perfect micro 4/3 ... the G1 in a weather sealed body is the perfect micro 4/4 camera.

T

tripper

I am surprised no one has mentioned the limited (sic) dynamic range of Panasonic's M4/3rds sensor, I find highlight headroom quite restrictive. :mad:

tripper