The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH1 Strap Lug Problem

monza

For GH1 owners, a heads up: be careful. Might want to look into alternative means of support.

There are threads on dpreview and dvxuser about this.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=187566&page=1

I have had one customer experience the problem, I'll be contacting Panasonic today to see if they have anything 'official' to say about it and whether it will be covered under warranty.

I compared my G1 to my GH1...G1 lugs are solid. GH1 lugs were snug, but with a little rotational pressure, it appears they could come loose. I didn't want to try too hard to make it happen.

Terry

There was a G1 user here early on whose lug came out. Repaired under warranty by Panasonic. I haven't heard one yet that wasn't covered.

monza

That's good to know. A customer (and getdpi member) who just received a GH1 yesterday is reporting the lugs are rotating in the mounts.

If it has happened to G1s as well, perhaps everyone should take note and inspect their cameras, and use alternative solutions. Not good to have loose things rattling around inside a camera with a hole on the side. :(

monza

or worse, a lug popping off and the camera dropping to the ground.

Talked to Panasonic, they are "aware of this issue." Warranty repair for USA models at their Elk Grove Village, Illinois repair center.

Diane B

I have to admit I considered putting the G1 on the Y strap with the Leicagoodies hook but after I read the first 2 reports about the lugs, I decided not to. The G1 doesn't seem to be a camera that lends itself well to neckstraps (doesn't hang nicely for me) and I use an Optech wrist strap solely for safety as I carry it by the lens now (I put it on the left side ala Godfrey's suggestion--easier to hold/change lenses).

I prefer the strap holders on the GF1--but they are too narrow to get many straps through other than the supplied--which I won't use LOL. With Terry's suggestion, I have the Optech Classic and most of the time the short camera attachments clipped to each other for a short strap that I wrap around my hand, but carry the neck strap to use when I choose. It actually seems the better camera to use the Y strap if I find the right connector.

I just read that long long thread that Monza linked to. It surely seems like a lot of problems in comparison to any I've read about here or on dpreview. And--those several on dpreview had the problem taken care of by Panasonic. What a difference a forum can make LOL. These were all GH1, so perhaps that camera has more issues--but still have heard of only a few on other forums.

Diane

photoSmart42

I checked the lugs on both my G1 and my GH1, and they all seem to be solid for the moment. I'll have to watch them carefully, but this thread is giving me a chance to examine alternate strap choices - I never liked the neck strap anyway.

V

Vivek

Since I have opened up a G1, I know how these are held. I would not strap them at all.

My G1s are strapless, coverless and bagless (ie., no dedicated bags/cases).

Also note that Panasonic specifically warn against storing your cams with the lens(es) attached to them.

Use them well until they fall apart and chuck them away. If a valid warranty is there, send them off to the appropriate manufacturer to get them fixed.

wjlapier

I have to admit I considered putting the G1 on the Y strap with the Leicagoodies hook but after I read the first 2 reports about the lugs, I decided not to. The G1 doesn't seem to be a camera that lends itself well to neckstraps (doesn't hang nicely for me) and I use an Optech wrist strap solely for safety as I carry it by the lens now (I put it on the left side ala Godfrey's suggestion--easier to hold/change lenses).

I prefer the strap holders on the GF1--but they are too narrow to get many straps through other than the supplied--which I won't use LOL. With Terry's suggestion, I have the Optech Classic and most of the time the short camera attachments clipped to each other for a short strap that I wrap around my hand, but carry the neck strap to use when I choose. It actually seems the better camera to use the Y strap if I find the right connector.

I just read that long long thread that Monza linked to. It surely seems like a lot of problems in comparison to any I've read about here or on dpreview. And--those several on dpreview had the problem taken care of by Panasonic. What a difference a forum can make LOL. These were all GH1, so perhaps that camera has more issues--but still have heard of only a few on other forums.

Diane
Sucks about the lugs falling off. I'm considering a GH1 too.

Hello Diane, I have the GF1 and use one of Luigi's wriststraps with the "tiny end"--his quote. It works well. IMO, the aged brown looks great with the GF1. I've tried neckstraps and still can't get used to this camera hanging off my neck.

Bill

Diane B

Also note that Panasonic specifically warn against storing your cams with the lens(es) attached to them.

I've never seen this in my G1's English manual in either the 'before use' on 4 and 5 or in the 'cautions for use' on page 137. Curious where you found this.

RonSmith

I had an issue with a loose lug on the left side of my G1.

I sent it to the Elk Grove repair center to repair that and also to address the peeling cover at the lower hinge of the LCD screen. I had to wait a month for the hinge to come in from Japan. The did tighten the lug, but frankly, it's not all that secure even now. Might try some epoxy.

Diane B

I had an issue with a loose lug on the left side of my G1.

I sent it to the Elk Grove repair center to repair that and also to address the peeling cover at the lower hinge of the LCD screen. I had to wait a month for the hinge to come in from Japan. The did tighten the lug, but frankly, it's not all that secure even now. Might try some epoxy.
It was your original post on dpreview (I think) that made me rethink using the Y strap with the G1. My lugs are secure--but then nothing is attached to them but a very light 'safety' wrist strap--I've never carried the camera by the strap. However--they should be secure enough to carry by a strap IF someone wants to do that.

I did see your follow up post about Panasonic repairing by warranty, but I bet the next iteration of the G1/GH1 will have different strap connections (maybe ala the GF1's--but they need to have a bit wider openings).

Diane

JCT

I almost always use a wrist strap (except with my old D2X :D ) as I don't like things hanging from my neck. And I always carry a camera bag, the strap is in case I get jostled while holding the camera.

I just ordered a tripod-mount wrist strap from Gordy and when I'm shooting on a tripod I will just go strapless.

Wait, that sounds wrong... :p

JT

httivals

Why isn't a solution to the lug strap problem for us to all use a bit of self-help -- use some epoxy glue to inelegantly mate the lug straps to the plastic body? What are the risks?

I own a G1, and have been planning on buying a GH1. Now I'm second guessing the GH1.

But why won't the self-help epoxy fix work?

. . . I like using neck straps so this is a big issue/concern.

pellicle

Hi

they do?

heck mine's almost always got the 14-45 on it ... what could be the problem with storing the camera with the lens on (and knowing the user base who would think to remove it ...)

is this mentioned in the manual (not that I've read it much)?

V

Vivek

Diane and Pellicle, I think it is more of a lens related caution than that of a camera.

Read the Pana 20/1.7 lens manual.

Very entertaining. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

(To whom it may concern: If I had posted a copy of the lens manual cautions, I could have done without the motion icons. I never thought the motion icons would be beat.:bugeyes:)

monza

The problem with the strap lugs appears to be the nut on the inside of the camera not having loctite. I suppose it's possible to epoxy the lug to the plastic body to keep it from rotating but that is definitely inelegant and I suppose the nut could still become loose on the inside eventually.

I've sent a GH1 to Panasonic service for other reasons and it came back fairly quickly. I would suggest this is the best option.

Diane B

Diane and Pellicle, I think it is more of a lens related caution than that of a camera.

Read the Pana 20/1.7 lens manual.

Very entertaining. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

(To whom it may concern: If I had posted a copy of the lens manual cautions, I could have done without the motion icons. I never thought the motion icons would be beat.:bugeyes:)
I didn't get a separate lens manual with my 20 as it came with the GF1--and the cautions, included in the camera manual, are normal. I checked out the manual for my new 45 f/2.8 and the cautions are just about the same as what I've always gotten with my EF mount lenses. But--nothing about not keeping the lens attached to the camera--at least in the US manual. It did say not to store with mount down, long term storage with dessicant--things like that that are probably in all my manuals. Nothing peculiar that I noted. All manuals for cameras and lenses in the US have a lot of safety cautions LOL--nothing new.

Diane

V

Vivek

I agree, Diane.

The 14-24 Nikon lens manual is also entertaining.

Pana 20/1.7 says: don't store the lens attached to the camera, do not modify the lens, do not use any cleaning agents (spit polish is off the menu :ROTFL:),....

(what was noticeably absent- do not use the lens for any moving objects under less than optimal conditions)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

The problem with the strap lugs appears to be the nut on the inside of the camera not having loctite. I suppose it's possible to epoxy the lug to the plastic body to keep it from rotating but that is definitely inelegant and I suppose the nut could still become loose on the inside eventually.

I've sent a GH1 to Panasonic service for other reasons and it came back fairly quickly. I would suggest this is the best option.

The one lug that is prone to dislodging is not attached to the aluminum chassis and is attached to a small strip of metal that is held in place while assembling the body. It is basically a striction mount.

Epoxying is a bad idea. First problem is finding the right epoxy for the materials involved (not an easy task!). Second is the fragile nature of the plastic bodice (or body as some may consider it).

Yeah, send it off to Pana for the fix.