The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Variations on a Sunset (EP2 + OM 100mm 2.8)

swandy

All taken with the EP2 and an Olympus OM 100mm 2.8. Handheld, within a few minutes of each other. Obviously three are using Art Filters. The first shot in RAW, converted in LR.
Very happy with these older manual focus lenses. Especially since the EVF on the EP2 makes manual focusing (at least for me) much easier than I was doing with the EP1.
Comments welcome, thanks for looking,
Steve.

Jonas

Hi Steve,

Maybe there is a little too much foreground for my taste. I like the first image best, the second is too blown-out, the third is like a sci-fi movie and the last one has odd colors in general.
I look at sunset images when posted, almost never take any myself. Looking at these variations is a good reminder about how different they can be.

regards,

/Jonas

swandy

Hi Jonas,
It was pretty cold near the water and I was actually sitting in my car, taking these through an open window. (Too chilly to walk out.) So I had to deal that way with the composition. I agree that the "natural" one is my favorite, though the last one - the Pop Art filter is growing on me also, though it does make the colors a wee bit unnatural.
BTW - the Sci-Fi look is courtesy the Cross Processing filter - certainly makes some interesting "adjustments" to colors.
Thanks for looking,
Steve

D

Devon Shaw

Steve,
I really like how that third one came out with its Sci-Fi feel. Makes me think of old movie posters. Think a large print of that could be pretty spectacular.
Thanks for sharing,
-Devon

swandy

Thanks Devon. When I first heard about the two additional filters (this one and Diorama, which I have not really figured out yet) I thought I remembered hearing the term "cross processing" years ago during a photography course but never knew exactly what the effect was. There are also some Lightroom Presets that I have found that are similar, but the results are not quite as striking as the Oly filter.
Thanks for looking,
Steve