The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 with MC/MC glass - What to expect?

jcmarney

G1 with MC/MD glass - What to expect?

I've got my G1 and first manual lenses (45mm f2, 28 f2.8, 50mm f3.5 Macro) and adapter on their way. I've used the G1 before, but only with the kit lenses.

What should I expect for functionality as far as metering with the alt glass?

Edit: Title should read MC/MD glass, my bad.

Last edited:

photoSmart42

With manual focus lenses I normally shoot in shutter priority mode since I adjust the aperture manually on the lens, as well as the focus. You can adjust the ISO settings from your camera. I suppose in terms of metering it's a matter of going back to photography basics, and adjusting your settings according to your environment. You can always pull up your histogram to check and see your exposure.

Aside from that, not much to tell. It's old-school time =). Experiment with different settings, and have fun with your new lenses.

photoSmart42

Thanks photoSmart.

Do you find that you *need* to zoom to manual focus accurately?
Not sure what you mean by zooming to manual focus. Those lenses you mentioned are fixed focal length, so you're zooming with your feet. Yes, you absolutely need to manually adjust your focus so you can compose your image the way you want, but that's assumed since they're manual focus lenses. You'd be doing the same even with your kit lenses in MF mode.

hodad66

I believe that he meant magnify focus....... with my
Canon FD lenses I almost never use "magnify"... :)

apicius9

I believe that he meant magnify focus....... with my
Canon FD lenses I almost never use "magnify"... :)
I did a whole series of photos once that were blurred because I hadn't realized that I had accidentally changed the dioptre setting :rolleyes: Other than that, I find it takes practice to take quicker shots without the magnifying option, and in general mine come out better when I use it, especially when using a lens that is sharp enough to show the differences, like the Summicron.

Stefan

jcmarney

My lenses came in yesterday. Love the feel. The 50mm Macro probably will weigh more than the G1. Hoping it makes it here today....

Ron Evers

I have four Minolta Rokkor MC mounts (35, 55, 100 & 200mm) & they all give a blue colour cast on my G1. I have a Vivitar 24mm MD mount that gives natural colour. Shooting with the camera white balance set to "shade" makes the colour of the Minolta shots more natural.

jcmarney

Minolta MD Rokkor-X 45mm f2
Minolta MD 28mm f2.8
Minolta MC Macro Rokkor -QF 50mm f3.5

Here is a quick one from the macro:

Ron Evers

Perhaps there is a difference in the coatings between the older MCs that I have & the MDs you have. Except for the first pic you show, the others look coloured by tungsten light (orange).

This last shot I like a lot.

jcmarney

Perhaps there is a difference in the coatings between the older MCs that I have & the MDs you have. Except for the first pic you show, the others look coloured by tungsten light (orange).

This last shot I like a lot.
I had WB set for cloudy on the first two. Auto on the third--the light is coming through some red/orange colored curtains, which gives it a bit of a cast.

jcmarney

great shots from your new / old manual lenses!!!!

of course quality models help a great deal... :)
Thank you! It'll take me a while to adjust to manual focusing, but the good ones are good.

My kiddos are always more than willing to model. ;)

Elliot

I have ordered a Pentax Kx kit, but today someone at work has offered to give me some SLR equipment, including 3 cameras (Nikon and Minolta) and a bunch of lenses. From seeing what skilled photographers can do with the Minolta lenses, I am thinking about cancelling the Kx and ordering a G1 instead. Am I understanding correctly that the Panasonic m4/3 mount would be able to use these lenses but the Pentax would not, and that you are using these Rokkor lenses with simple adapters, which are available for Minolta, Nikon, and others? Thanks for any guidance you might provide.

Ron Evers

Am I understanding correctly that the Panasonic m4/3 mount would be able to use these lenses but the Pentax would not, and that you are using these Rokkor lenses with simple adapters, which are available for Minolta, Nikon, and others? Thanks for any guidance you might provide.
There are several sources for Minolta MC/MD to M4/3 on e-bay. Less expensive than I paid only a few months ago. I now have adapters "in the mail" for Pentax K & M42.

Here is a shot with a Vivitar 24mm/2.8 Minolta MD mount taken in very low light.