The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Snow

Taken with a Taylor Hobson Cooke Speed Panchro II 32mm/2.3 lens that just came back from England after cleaning and servicing by a Cooke trained technician

Last edited:

kds315

very nice Peter! The Cooke Speed Panchro had an excellent reputation for many years in the film industry and that clearly shows!!

Jonas

Peter, thank you for showing the result you got from this lens. I wonder if you have any idea about what aperture openings that came to use, particularly for the first one and then the B&W bench?
From what I see here bokeh looks good, medium contrast handle flare very well? Have you run into any CA problems?

Cheers,

/Jonas

Peter, thank you for showing the result you got from this lens. I wonder if you have any idea about what aperture openings that came to use, particularly for the first one and then the B&W bench?
Thanks for your comments, Jonas. The light was so bright I had to close the aperture not to overexpose at 1/4000 sec. I closed the diaphragm to get about 1/3200 sec ,which resulted in an aperture between 5.6 and 11, but I did not jot down the aperture of each shot.

From what I see here bokeh looks good, medium contrast handle flare very well? Have you run into any CA problems?
None

Cheers,
Peter

Jonas

(...)which resulted in an aperture between 5.6 and 11, but I did not jot down the aperture of each shot.
(On CA) None
Thank you Peter. Is it too much to ask for some wide open results, some day when you got something representative? I like what I saw but what lens does not perform well at f/5.6-11?

regards,

/Jonas

pellicle

This is a combination of new snow and a formation called Tykky (here in Finland)

its actually a growth of ice crystals which form behind a very very slight wind and end up looking like snow packed onto the tree trunks

Jonas

You can find some pictures wide open with a 18mm Speed panchro here:
(link)
I will show more wide open shots when I get the right subject and light.
Thank you Peter. Looks good, the extreme corners may look a little strange and the sycamores are sketchy but that isn't unexpected wide open and tough conditions. All in all very good I think and I'm looking forward to more images one of these days. How would you say it stack up against the G20/1.7?

regards,

/Jonas

Photomorgana

Thank you Peter. Is it too much to ask for some wide open results, some day when you got something representative? I like what I saw but what lens does not perform well at f/5.6-11?

regards,

/Jonas

Hi Jonas,
I know, I'm not Peter, but here are some shots wide open with cooke SP 32mm f2 (the last one could have been f2.5 maybe)

Photomorgana

Hi,
Ah, more Cooke images... the last one is of course the one that is most to my taste.
Thank you, Photomorgana (I wonder what the story is behind that nick).

/Jonas
Jonas,
those are just snaps to show you the basic lens characteristics. It handles the colors very well even in the bokeh. Sharpness is great, but not too strong. Smearing in corners is barely noticeable. Aberrations are well controlled.

My nick derived from word "Fata Morgana", which means - "An optical phenomenon which results from a temperature inversion", Basically its a mirage. :)

Jonas

Jonas,
those are just snaps to show (...)
My nick derived from word "Fata Morgana", which means - "An optical phenomenon which results from a temperature inversion", Basically its a mirage. :)
Of course. I like the bokeh in the last image the best, which is stopped down a little.
After having seen Herzog's film perhaps?

Cheers,

/Jonas

Jonas

No, after reading the Novel by Ukrainian author Mihajlo Kocyubins'kij.
But the film sounds interesting, plus Cohen sound track should be good. :)

Regards,
I like Cohen, and I like Herzog's photo. Now it is awfully long since I saw Herzoh's film but I recall remembering it very well when I saw Koyaanisqatsi, by Godfrey Reggio, and the beautiful images.

regards,

Jonas,

See the Speed Pancro Lenses on m4/3 cameras thread for some pictures at full opening

Cheers,
Peter
Thank you Peter. I'll go have a look.

regards,

/Jonas