The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

tripod mountable adaptor for legacy lenses

pellicle

Hi

I like being able to mount my FD300 lens onto the tripod directly with the camera off the back. I sometimes feel was wondering if others also felt it would be a benefit to mount their slightly telephoto (zooms too) legacy lenses and have the tripod mount to the adaptor not the camera.

I was discussing this with Ciecio7 this week and he was himself thinking of this but wasn't sure if the 'balance' would be much better.

My thoughts are that the balance is only marginally improved but:
- to be able to take the weight off the camera tripod mount to the adaptor which is quite more solid
- move the balance point the bit further forward reducing cantilever vibration effects
- giving an easy way to move between portrait and landscape

would be all good.

I mentioned to him I'd see what others think, so wotcha think?

V

Vivek

Buy a pen F 250mm f/5 lens. Comes with its own superb tripod mount and it is smaller and lighter.

Jonas

Dedicated, or perfectly fitting, tripod rings are nice, but they are dedicated and can be hard to find.
In December Peter showed us his Zoomatar lens and we discussed the Manfrotto support, here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169112&postcount=15
At first sight it is a more clumsy solution but it works well and can be used for any big enough lens. I don't say it replaces the tripod ring but it may be worth to check out.

pellicle

Hi

Dedicated, or perfectly fitting, tripod rings are nice, but they are dedicated and can be hard to find.
exactly, which is why an adaptor based one would allo you to use that on your other lenses ... for example I have FD, so I could use it on my FD stuff such as:

-200mm f4
-50mm with some extension tubes
-80-200 zoom