The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji, Sigma, Kodak, Canon join m4/3 (rumor)

Rawfa

Puff, I have just read the original article in spanish and it's just the guy speculating. He doesn't have any source at all.

photoSmart42

I'd be very surprised if at least one other major player doesn't step into this format. Pana and Oly seem to be holding their own, and their products have received significant enough recognition as solid players that it should be looked at as an opportunity for others as well. I agree that Canon or Nikon would be the last to join in because they have so much capital invested in their current line of products, but the smaller companies have nothing to lose really.

Last edited:
T

tokengirl

Just imagine a little Canon M4/3 camera with an array of cute little pancake "L" lenses...

apicius9

As someone who grew up next to the Leitz/Leica facilities it hurts to see that they - once again - missed the bus and with a mixture of arrogance and ignorance made the wrong decisions on the management level. Sad.

Stefan

m3photo

Re: Leica Policies

As someone who grew up next to the Leitz/Leica facilities it hurts to see that they - once again - missed the bus and with a mixture of arrogance and ignorance made the wrong decisions on the management level. Sad.
By missing the bus I'm sure you mean trying to charge two grand for a compact camera, yes, sad indeed.

sonomichele

Not that I have any actual information, but I really doubt we'll see Nikon or Canon joining 4/3s. With Samsung showing that a similar sized product can be released in APS size it makes sense for them to compete in that market with their existing lenses to add to any new system they have. But who knows.

Now Fuji is a different story. There were actually 5 companies that initially signed on to the 4/3 standards. Panasonic and Olympus of course, Sanyo (which is now Panasonic), Sigma (presumably for lenses but who knows) as well as Kodak and Fuji. So it isn't unreasonable to think Fuji might come out with something since they already belong and clearly had that intent some years ago. But other than feeding the fires of speculation and wishful thinking, I have no actual new information about whether that will actually happen. But dreams are nice.

V

Vivek

Not that I have any actual information, but I really doubt we'll see Nikon or Canon joining 4/3s.

I will not be shocked but will be pleasantly surprised to see a mirrorless (not m4/3rds) Nikon cam soon. In fact, i am expecting to see one.

What I do need next is the rumored Fuji cam, for its rumored sensor.

Rawfa

With all the new cameras and lenses coming out as well as the sale number ist's very fair to say that the micro 4/3 system is really here to stay. Like it or not either the other companies get on board or they have to come up with a similar alternative. It was smart move from Oly and Pana to introduce so much micro 3/4 cameras and lenses in a short period of time, as this gives the users confidence on the evolution and stability of the format. With Pana releasing a 14mm f2.8 all I need now is a fast zoom and I'm set for glass. Now what would REALLY make me happy would be a Sigma DP4/3 :)

ggibson

Totally agreeing with sonomichele, here. Here's my ranking from most-to-least likely:

Sigma - Seems pretty likely we'll see m4/3 lens(es) at some point. A m4/3 Sigma camera would be very interesting, but I think it's a dream at this point.

Fuji/Kodak - I doubt either of these two will come out with a m4/3 camera or lens. Both companies seem very entrenched in the compact market and look like they've gotten out of the interchangeable lens category completely.

Canon/Nikon - I know they are watching the market carefully, but both Canon and Nikon are fond having their own proprietary mounts. I think it's much more likely that each will create their own interchangeable lens compact lines at some point in the future.