The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 firmware 1.2 question

Tullio

I imagine that many people here have already upgraded their EP1 to the new F/W. My question to those who have is, how long is the enlarged image displayed for before it automatically goes back to normal? Olympus does not specify that on the description of the f/w. Thanks.

PeterB666

I don't use MF assist as I find it annoying with the AF lenses being too sensitive to activating the function.

I only use the MF magnification through the info display zoom screen.

JonasYip

I don't use the automatic MF assist either (just from the info screen). But I just turned it on to see, and it seems that the display switched back pretty soon after you stop moving the focussing ring... maybe 1 second or less. I have no idea what it did before the firmware upgrade though...

j

PeterB666

It previously stayed on for around 8s or until you did a half press of the shutter button (from vague recollection).

Tullio

It previously stayed on for around 8s or until you did a half press of the shutter button (from vague recollection).
Thanks, Peter. Actually, before the upgrade the MF assist stayed on indefinitely from what I can tell unless the OK button is pressed.

I'm amazed by the fact that most people did not use the MF assist option but still upgraded the firmware. Why???

PeterB666

I'm amazed by the fact that most people did not use the MF assist option but still upgraded the firmware. Why???
I had a suspicion that they may have done some AF tweaking and early reports indicated that was the case. The first thing I did was test the change and was very happy with the improvement in focus speed of the Panasonic 20mm lens.

While I haven't really gone into playback from the blacked out LCD, I can see merit in this and may want to use it.

I prefer to keep my gear updated with the latest release of firmware.

Tullio

What I don't understand is why Olympus would make improvements to the AF and not advertise it, specially considering how badly the EP1 is hurting from negative reviews complaining about its AF speed. You'd think they would state in bold letters that AF has improved. Personally I do not trust anything that is not advertised. I think that there is a good reason for them not to mention the possible AF improvement (I just don't know what it is). I've also read some people reporting "bugs" introduced by the new f/w so at the moment I'm very reluctant about upgrading my EP1 since I find AF to be very fast with the 14-45mm (any one who owns the great Sony R1 will find the EP1 AF very very speedy, particularly in low light!!!). I would have upgraded right away if Olympus had implemented the same behavior as Panasonic did on the GF1 in terms of MF assist. Unfortunately, they did not.

Terry

I haven't paid complete attention to all of the firmware comments but it seems the improvement is with the E-P1 and 20mm combination. Perhaps if focus with the Oly lenses isn't any better and it is just the 20mm, by noting it, you just encourage more folks to go out and buy a lens that Oly gets no revenue from.

Tullio

...or you may encourage more people to go out and buy the EP1. Oly should not bother improving AF for Pana lenses if they are concerned about competition. I think the more companies focus on their own system rather than having a broader view of the market, the more they tend to fail. I believe one of the primary reasons for the 4/3 and now the m4/3 success is the fact that it's an interchangeable system between Olympus, Panasonic and Leica. I bought the G1 last year and a couple of weeks ago I decided to get the EP1 for its movie capability and in-camera IS, which is very helpful when shooting with MF lenses (something I'm enjoying more and more). However, the fact that I already had the two Pana kit lenses was a big deciding factor since I could buy the EP1 body only and save me some $$$. So, Oly and Pana have to a certain extent work together and not against each other. We'll all benefit from it.