The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone go traveling with just the 20mm lens????

DHart

I make a good living shooting portraits with a 5DII with 70-200 (mostly at 200). But when I'm just a daily joe/tourist, I find that I "see" most often with wide lenses.

My previous "vacation" camera was G9 with a wide angle lens adaptor which gave me a wide of 23mm (in 35mm equivalence). I rarely took the wide angle adaptor off of my G9 when on vacations.

My G9 was recently replaced by a GF1 and the two lenses I have for it are 14-45 and the 20. I use the 14-45 most of the time and while I would appreciate the speed of the 20, I hate giving up the wider wide and the versatility of the 14-45. If I had to take a trip with the GF1 and only ONE lens (shameful, isn't that?) I would take the 14-45. Nice thing is, the 20 is so compact that there's NO reason not to have it along as well! ;-) And while I like the speed of the 20, at 40mm (35mm equiv.) for me it's not as wide as I would prefer either.

What I really lust after for personal/travel pics with my GF1 is the 7-14. THAT will be my next lens for the GF1 and could be the lens I would choose for the GF1 if I could only choose 1 lens for travel/personal. But I must add in my "always-with-me" Lumix ZS3 pocket cam (with it's 25-300mm Leica zoom lens and HD movie capability with zoom while recording)! and these two cameras really have things covered nicely on the travel front!

While I'm in love with the portrait looks I can achieve with my 5DII and 70-200 f/2.8 L-IS shooting at 200mm wide open, for travel, wide is what really does it for me.

Last edited:

pellicle

...for the GF1 if I could only choose 1 lens for travel/personal. I'm in love with the looks I can achieve with my 5DII and 70-200 f/2.8 L-IS, but for travel, wide is what does it for me.
you my friend sound like just the candidate for the new, yet to be conceived Panasonic 11mm f1.7 lens.

Yes, this little beauty is barely larger than the front lens cap, weighs nearly nothing (and will most certainly help lighten your wallet too). So when you're in that great location for the only time in your life, with low interior light, you can just snap away and get great images.

now, who do we have to sack in Panasonics division to make way for some creative thinking, so that some decent design comes out of the place to get this baby made?

DHart

you my friend sound like just the candidate for the new, yet to be conceived Panasonic 11mm f1.7 lens.

Yes, this little beauty is barely larger than the front lens cap, weighs nearly nothing (and will most certainly help lighten your wallet too). So when you're in that great location for the only time in your life, with low interior light, you can just snap away and get great images.

now, who do we have to sack in Panasonics division to make way for some creative thinking, so that some decent design comes out of the place to get this baby made?
pellicle... SEE? There ya go! oh man! an 11mm f/1.7. The dream lens for a GF1 lover! ;-) Wouldn't that be sweet!

So, was that wonderful gaping cathedral image done with a 7-14? At, say around 9mm? ;-) I lust after that wide (though not so fast) lens!

pellicle

Hi

pellicle... SEE? There ya go! oh man! an 11mm f/1.7. The dream lens for a GF1 lover! ;-) Wouldn't that be sweet!
mate, as a long time fan of 24mm (and 21mm) on "full frame" I'd be lining up outside the door to get one.

... unless it was US$2000

So, was that wonderful gaping cathedral image done with a 7-14? At, say around 9mm? ;-) I lust after that wide (though not so fast) lens!
it was indeed 9mm (check the EXIF or good guessin?) I was the lower price Oly 9-18mm ... which btw is only lower price by a little bit if you have to buy the MA-1 to get it mounted on your micro 4/3 camera (like me).

Its odd that the 7-14 isn't much different in size.

I may be considering selling the 9-18 anyway ... it all depends on how things go in my present decision making process about putting €399 onto the 20mm or putting that (plus the sale of the 9-18) onto a 5D instead and re-thinking my micro 4/3 system (thoughts on this process here if you have any inputs I'm always after diverse lines of thinking)

:)

DHart

pellicle... well, comparing a m4/3 to a 5DII can make you crazy. I shoot with the 5DII daily as a pro photographer but got the GF1 for fun. Neither can do what the other can do. You've just got to nail down your priorities and needs to make the call. Not a choice I would like to have to make. For me, of course, I have to have the 5D. The GF1 is not a necessity. Except for the fact that it is rekindling my love of photography as a hobby which is worth it's weight in gold! ;-) If you need a 5D, replace the GF1 with a ZS3 (or the new ZS7)... they're amazing little pocket cams. I have one that I'm never without. And the movies from it are stunning for a pocket camera... 25-300 (35mm equiv) Leica zoom lens and you can zoom while recording movies!