The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with E-P2

ustein

Contributing Editor
- Lightroom (very basic tuning)
- CS4
- Skew correction
- My script Contrast Plus
- Sharpening with my script EasyDS LE
- Frame with own script (used as Droplet from Lightroom)

Brian Mosley

This is a first impression: Better contrast and also good refresh rate. But I find the swivel for the EVF at least as important. Just love it. This allows me to hold the E-P2 + 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 on the lens barrel (like to old Sony P&S cameras).
Thanks Uwe, that's good to hear!

Cheers

Brian

RichA

High resolution EVF is integral to the market

Owning a Pen 1 and a Pen 2, I can wholeheartedly agree that the EVF makes a world of difference (especially for those relegated to wearing glasses), and notably when using manual focus lenses. But it's not a Panasonic, so it sadly won't get much interest here.

Cheers

Ray
I think the E-P2 should get interest, it may not have the focusing speed of the Panasonics but since so many enthusiasts use manual lenses, that doesn't really come into play. The EVF is what Olympus should have had available for the E-P1. I think that both Olympus and Panasonic misjudged the market to an extent, thinking the cameras would sell mostly to migrators from P&S's who generally only had LCD's to use anyway. Enthusiasts need the high res. EVF to make the most of the manual lenses.

O

OzRay

Re: High resolution EVF is integral to the market

I think the E-P2 should get interest, it may not have the focusing speed of the Panasonics but since so many enthusiasts use manual lenses, that doesn't really come into play. The EVF is what Olympus should have had available for the E-P1. I think that both Olympus and Panasonic misjudged the market to an extent, thinking the cameras would sell mostly to migrators from P&S's who generally only had LCD's to use anyway. Enthusiasts need the high res. EVF to make the most of the manual lenses.
I fully agree with you there. As soon as the Pen 2 was available in Australia, I went to check out the EVF and bought the body on the spot. I've got a case full of manual lenses and don't intend to use the 14-42mm that came with the Pen 1. All the talk about AF speed is completely irrelevant to me and, frankly, I don't know why it features in so many discussions.

But what I really meant in my comment was that this forum appears to be highly Panasonic centric and Olympus cameras seem to be of little interest to the majority of participants. So when someone posts about Olympus m4/3s, the interest factor appears to be pretty close to zero in most cases. No real problem there, if Olympus m4/3s doesn't float your boat, that's a personal choice.

Cheers

Ray

Brian Mosley

Hi Ray,

dpreview made a big deal of the difference (in reality, we're talking 10ths of a second - which translates to a difference in feel / responsiveness rather than actual photographic advantage imho) - and subsequently, just about every purchaser of the GF1 on the dpreview cites it as a major feature in their purchasing decision.

Huge kudos to the respected reviewer for influencing the echo chamber... just a shame so many are missing the pleasure of this classic cam.

Obviously, there are strong proponents of both camera bodies in conflict over one feature vs another being important to their own preference - which causes more healthy debate actually... but when we start talking about lenses, where the respected reviewers were more 'on the ball' there's no argument and most people happily get on with enjoying their choice!

Anyhow, this forum used to be heavily focused on photography, with some strong characters who know exactly what they want so all of the above was irrelevant.

Enjoy your camera of choice, don't worry about what the majority of people have been led to believe :cry:

Cheers

Brian

Last edited:
O

OzRay

Brian

That's effectively what I observed; however, I learned about slow AF with the E1, covering Australian Rules Football of all things, but managed pretty well nonetheless. It was always about lenses anyway and that was pretty much what kept me in the Olympus fold, despite the fact that my peers in the newspaper used Nikon/Canon. And they still wonder how I get the shots that I do.

I also do a lot of travelling, so I was getting thoroughly tired of hauling around a DSLR kit (small(ish) as it was compared to the others) and the m4/3s concept was what I'd been waiting for, for a long time. As I've stated elsewhere, I didn't want a DSLR style camera, no matter how small, so the first Panasonic iterations didn't interest me in the least. When the Pen came out, I got the first one in Australia (so I was told) and just loved the style. Had the GF-1 come out before the Pen, it may well have been my first m4/3s (I have a Panasonic LX2 that I quite like and was considering an LX3 when the Pen was announced).

So it's all swings and roundabouts in the long run. For me, m4/3s is a working camera (with hopefully some time left for pleasure), but I haven't been able to fully put it to use just yet, but I think it has a great future. If I worried about what the majority believed, I'd be touting Nikon/Canon at the moment. :D

Cheers

Ray

V

Vivek

Hi Ray,

Huge kudos to the respected reviewer for influencing the echo chamber... just a shame so many are missing the pleasure of this classic cam.
Did you miss what Uwe said about reviewing being a chore when the reviewer owns better cameras?

Classic, how?

Because Olympus are trying to connect the (real) Pen F to this?

I tried the EP in shops and it did not entice me, despite its looks.

Brian Mosley

Did you miss what Uwe said about reviewing being a chore when the reviewer owns better cameras?
I assumed he was talking about his D3x with Zeiss lenses? :ROTFL:

Classic, how?

from dpreview of M9 - another classic camera :toocool: imho

Because Olympus are trying to connect the (real) Pen F to this?
I won't be shooting with film I'm afraid... this is the closest thing in body design style we have. I'd like it to be Leica inspired manual control simple... but that's not how it's designed to be. The techie in me doesn't mind ;)

I tried the EP in shops and it did not entice me, despite its looks.
The first time I looked at a Land Rover, it looked ugly... when I drove it through a swamp and out the other side, I was in love :p

All imho :D

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Thanks for expanding on what you were saying.

This is why I like discussion fora like this than "reviews".

The real Pen during its time was innovative and was on the cutting edge. Still some of its features (1/500s flash sync, for example) is unmatched while the E-P plays (and continues to play) second fiddle to the G1 in terms of features and versatility.

If looks alone makes camera "classic" then there are many cute ones.

Have you seen the Olympus O(h)? :ROTFL:

pellicle

Hi

But what I really meant in my comment was that this forum appears to be highly Panasonic centric ...
the interest factor appears to be pretty close to zero in most cases. ...
if Olympus m4/3s doesn't float your boat, that's a personal choice.
well, speaking as an Aussie who spends Aussie Dollars here in the EU (where they're worth less and I can't get stuff from the US like I could in Oz without paying protection money) my only disappointment in the Olympus was that the EP-1 was without an EVF, came well after I bought my G1 and the EP-2 seems to be 400 Euro more than I paid for my G1 (that's AU$600)

I suspect the Panasonic bias here comes from the fact that among this group there are more early adopters

... having said all that I was thinking that the place had a more Pen slant than G1 slant ... so perhaps its down to what one notices?

I would be quite happy to jump ship to an Oly with the swivel finder as I would use my rear screen for way less than 20% of images. I prefer the battery system on the Oly (which as far as I know is yet to prevent usage of non Oly batterys) which I believe will also work with other Oly cameras (not sure if its many or any).

but its interesting you say the forum has a Panasonic bias cos being a panasonic owner I of course didn't notice it :)

V

Vivek

You know, among other things, that "G1?, we don't need a stinking G1.." thread helped contribute a trickle.;)

I really thought that Oly would at least try to match what G1 had. Even after two iterations, they let me down.

pellicle

Ray

another question if you don't mind ...

I also do a lot of travelling, so I was getting thoroughly tired of hauling around a DSLR kit (small(ish)
me too ... so that was a major consideration for me also

as it was compared to the others) and the m4/3s concept was what I'd been waiting for, for a long time. As I've stated elsewhere, I didn't want a DSLR style camera, no matter how small, so the first Panasonic iterations didn't interest me in the least.
considering the G1 screen pops around the back to allow you to use it as a point n shoot (like my wife prefers) and given the bulkiness of the EP-2 pop on the flash shoe affair I am not sure I see the difference?

this is not meant to be a "smarty pants" question, but I'm genuinely interested. In a shop recently my wife didn't like the GF or EP-1 because it didn't have the grip that the G1 has (and her Canon powershot has a small grip).

especially when you say:

Had the GF-1 come out before the Pen, it may well have been my first m4/3s (I have a Panasonic LX2 that I quite like and was considering an LX3 when the Pen was announced).
I wanted something I can hang from a backpack harness loop or preferably slip into a side netting, the G1 doesn't really do that with the kit zoom, so is that what did it? Its one of the reasons (DoF and simplicity being among the others) that I am looking carfully at the 20f1.7

Terry

But what I really meant in my comment was that this forum appears to be highly Panasonic centric and Olympus cameras seem to be of little interest to the majority of participants. So when someone posts about Olympus m4/3s, the interest factor appears to be pretty close to zero in most cases. No real problem there, if Olympus m4/3s doesn't float your boat, that's a personal choice.

Cheers

Ray
A lot of people bought the G1 and waited for the GF1 as it makes a good compliment as the menu structure and controls are similar. Some have complimented the G1 with the Pen to have one body with IBIS.

The third group that I am in bought the Pen and then sold it. When the E-P1 was released there were quite a few users here and many threads going about the camera. The reasons for sale were varied like the launch of the M9, or launch of the GF1. I sold mine because I was not wild about the Oly interface. If someone were to take the Leica X1 interface and put it back in a Pen camera, I would rebuy. AF speed was not my bugaboo but I do appreciate how zippy the GF1 is. Those 10ths of a second are noticeable - if you aren't exclusively using manual lenses.

I think the other difference in airplay is that the owners of the G series are more inclined to be using it as their primary system. You tend to post more about what you use everyday. If you read the polls (done here) and other threads, mostly every owner of the G1/GH1 and GF1 says if they could only keep one of the cameras the GF1 would be the one to be sold.

Brian Mosley

It's also possible that those more inclined to populate on-line forums have been influenced by the on-line respected reviewers to go out and buy a fast focusing GF1, and then perpetuate the idea that a fast focusing GF1 is the way for other on-line forum participants to go...

That's how the snowball rolls... :ROTFL: downhill fast :rolleyes:

There are other photographers who've gone from GF1 to E-P1, GF1 to E-P2, GF1 to GH1 and G1... they all make a post if you look out for them.

I'd be interested to know, whether the majority of GF1 owners feel able to shoot jpeg? and whether the majority of Pen owners feel able to shoot action?

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Brian, They are all there to advertise several cams of various brands and models. If someone of that says today this cam is better than that and the next week they will be promoting another brand and model. "Reviews" might (or might not) influence the novices and online buyers who buy something without reading/looking/trying a camera. Any salesman can influence such people. There is no need for annointing any middlemen for that.

The fact is "reviewers" make money for rehashing something that is discussed in more details in open fora.

They do nothing for the buyers or the sellers.

That's how the snowball rolls... downhill fast

Diane B

Cheers

Ray
EDIT: Well, I would have been better off to continue reading the thread before commenting, but, late as I am in jumping in here, I'll let it stay.

Don't you think its because the G1 was the first m4/3rds and so many here bought it? Then--waiting for the second body and thinking about doing without an EVF for MF shooting, the EP-1 didn't fit as well into the mix and a number bought the GF1, myself included??

HAD the EP-2 come out first--I may have been much more willing to consider it as a second body with the detachable but wonderful EVF (and articulating, but the GF1's does that also at any angle). I looked at the EP-1 when it came out (already had had the G1 since Dec. 08) and it just wasn't a good fit for me--so I bought the 17 f/2.8 by itself. Now I'm not willing to sell the GF1 (frankly, though the EVF isn't nearly as good, it works fine for me for even MF shooting) to buy the EP-2---and so there isn't, at the moment any other Olympus m4/3rds to consider.

Down the line, I'll look at both--I came from many many years of Canon--so I have no loyalty at all to either mfg. of my second system. Just that right now, G1 was my first m4/3rds and its GF1 fit into my photographic needs better.

Diane

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Many old system lenses were used on G1 before companies (existing or new) started to make the adapters for lenses and the "reviewers" were able to get hold of any such adapters.

That was a key difference with G1.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I liked the initial photos a lot because I used the 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 Olympus zoom. This is a very nice zoom to use. Why not using it on the G1? I could. but now I lose image stabilization because the G1 does not support in body IS.

simonclivehughes

The in-body IS is certainly a nice-to-have, but I seem to remember a time when we boldly shot away with no IS whatsoever. Good camera technique and the ISO flexibility and performance we enjoy today go a long way to mitigating the requirement for IS.

Cheers,