The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can the GF1 EVF be used for "peaking" focusing?

RichA

I first saw the term, "peaking" in a Michael Reichman column on Leicas but it refers to the scintillation effect seen when an EVF comes into focus. Certain finer detail on objects seems to shimmer (a kind of moire effect as the resolution of the EVF and the object detail size coincides) and (like with the old diamond pattern on SLR focusing screens, surrounding the split image) you know the manual lens is in focus. This works very well on the G1 EVF as every scene usually contains that kind of detail, but I'm wondering if the GF1 EVF with its considerably lower resolution produces the same effect? If it does, then the absolute resolution of the EVF is less important. Given its courser resolution, it might even work better, but I'd be speculating.

Diane B

I don't know. I don't necessarily use 'peaking', but I do watch CA--and as it diminishes (when its evident in EVF) the focus becomes more correct. I'll have to notice the 'shimmer' in the G1's. Thinking about it though--I guess I do notice that. I'll have to pay attention in the EVF on the GF1.