The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A job with GF1 and 20 mm.

E

ellemand

Hey all of you.

Had a little job yesterday. The local horse-center wanted some b/w-prints for the walls.
Decided - for the first time - to do the job with only GF1 and the 20 mm'er.
I liked it a lot - and the results - judge yourself;-)
The prints are 30 x 45 cm and looks great.

Regards
Ellemand

Jonas

These are nice images and I think they will want you to return in the summer time for a color series.
My eyes went, in the first image, from the girl to the horse and back to the girl and then later to the area between them. Is that noise just due to the sharpening fpr these web images or is it there in the print as well?
Nice B&W work.

/Jonas

Terry

Well done. If anyone was watching you I bet they were a little skeptical about your lack of gear!

pellicle

Hi

Well done. If anyone was watching you I bet they were a little skeptical about your lack of gear!
you know, I was seriously taken aback when after working for a client for a little bit I was asked to come on to their premises to do some interior shots for a brochure they were making of their business. To that point I'd collected product samples and returned them with 35mm strips of positive.

I opened up my black alloy case which contained 2 EOS bodies, TS-E24 & 90, 28-105 zoom and a 50f1.8 some Metz flashes and and a Quantum flash meter.

The owner said something like "wow, I didn't know you were a professional"

despite having had the feedback from the color separators and printers that the chromes they were getting from the "new photographer" were really good and they themselves were happy with the product shots.

odd how your gear is somehow your badge of quality assurance to some clients

photoSmart42

odd how your gear is somehow your badge of quality assurance to some clients
Not all that odd, really. People's general knowledge about professional photography is limited to what they see in movies and in sports, and that's photogs with lots of bags, several cameras, giant lenses, tripods, etc. I have to admit I had the same impression before I started researching to buy a DSLR even though I had turned out quite a few really great photos with my P&S for years, and with my 110 for even more years before that.

While there's certainly a lot to be said about all that gear, it's not obvious to the general public that you can accomplish 90-95% of the same quality of photos with smaller, more compact systems, so they equate gear with 'serious' photography. Not really knowing the kind of artistic talent, training, and preparation it takes to take those great photos they admire, most folks fall back on looking at the gear as a metric for the quality of a photographer. At least in the U.S., we tend to trust technology and gear a lot more than we do people's innate ability to do something creative on their own. People don't want to have the impression that they're paying good money for something their friends could have done for free with their P&S, so they look for gear as a sign of comfort. Interestingly enough, some of the best photos from my wedding were taken by friends with their P&S cameras.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Very well done, excellent processing! (Though to be a pure critic, IMO the last edge burn is a little strong at the snow ;))