The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m4/3 weakness: Fast midrange zooms

ustein

Contributing Editor
I like the Olympus 4/3 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 lens a lot.

- very useful range
- quite fast
- good optics
- not too big for m4/3 bodies

But:

- a m4/3 version could be smaller
- IS only available with the E-P1/P2 sensor IS
- means no IS on the G1/GH1

I own a E-P1 but want an EVF. Just buying an E-P2 to use this lens seems a lot of money.

Rawfa

This is one lens that I've been saying it would be a great addition to the m4/3 collection. Maybe sigma could get onboard at once with a 14-38mm constant f2.8 too (similar to their 18-50mm constant f2.8).

V

Vivek

m4/3 weakness: Fast midrange zooms
Yup, that is what is sorely missing. One more zoom.

Even if they make an f/2 constant aperture zoom, it will still be slow on an m4/3rds body. It will never match the focus speed of a similarly apertured zoom
on a 4/3rds cam.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Yup, that is what is sorely missing. One more zoom.
+1

While we're at it, why not list a few more m4/3 weaknesses:
* lack of fast super-wide zooms
* lack of fast wide zooms
* lack of fast tele zooms
* lack of fast super-tele zooms.

Far better to address those deficiencies, than to worry about any more prime lenses. Since clearly no-one would be silly enough to waste money on lenses like this:
* 12/14mm f/2
* 17/18mm f/1.4
* 40/42/45mm f/1.4
* 58/60mm f/1.7.

PeterB666

I would love to see a compact 16-40 f/2.8 constant aperture zoom in MFT with internal focusing. It isn't going to happen but I would like one thank you.

Also a 25-100 f/2.8-4 would be a nice compromise between speed and size.

Add to the kit a 14mm f/2, 25mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.7, then to finish off the kit with a 50-250 f/2.8-4 and a 10mm f/2.8.

Brian Mosley

Vivek, Jonathon... behave! :rolleyes:

I agree, by the way - give me tiny fast primes instead of big slow zooms :D

...at least for the Pen form factor - the G1/GH1 form factor can take the bigger zooms fine... but there's the E-620 and ZD 12-60 for that.

Cheers

Brian

Helena

I don't understand why everything is 14mm. The kit zooms and now the new Panasonic 14/2.8. I want 12mm (or even wider). I know from my FF experiences that 24mm is wide enough for me, and I don't want to be forced to buy a lens like 7-14 just to get those two extra mm. Preferable a 10 or 12mm f/2 (or faster) prime.

V

Vivek

6mm f/1.2. With complete manual option. "Fly by wire" could be optional.;)

pellicle

I don't understand why everything is 14mm. ...
and I don't want to be forced to buy a lens like 7-14 just to get those two extra mm.
Preferable a 10 or 12mm f/2 (or faster) prime.
I will second all of these points and double second the last one.

As I have said many times, given that I have a C-mount 12.5mm f1.3mm lens I just can't see why there can't be a reasonable 10~12mm prime. Heck the amount of movement required by the lens assembly would make the focus mechanism found in the Oly 17mm lens workable.

ohh ... and don't give me prices like 1000 euro for that either. CCTV lenses (new) are less than that, so why do we have to pay through the nose?

If Panasonic / Olympus really want this to work (micro 4/3) give the APS DSLR's something to really worry about.

I also wouldn't mind something in the 50mm size with AF too ... again primes not zooms thanks. I like my micro 4/3 to be micro, not obese

so no porky lenses like the Canon above please ... if they're that fat then I'll just go grab my self a 5D

vincechu

I will second all of these points and double second the last one.

As I have said many times, given that I have a C-mount 12.5mm f1.3mm lens I just can't see why there can't be a reasonable 10~12mm prime. Heck the amount of movement required by the lens assembly would make the focus mechanism found in the Oly 17mm lens workable.

ohh ... and don't give me prices like 1000 euro for that either. CCTV lenses (new) are less than that, so why do we have to pay through the nose?

If Panasonic / Olympus really want this to work (micro 4/3) give the APS DSLR's something to really worry about.

I also wouldn't mind something in the 50mm size with AF too ... again primes not zooms thanks. I like my micro 4/3 to be micro, not obese

so no porky lenses like the Canon above please ... if they're that fat then I'll just go grab my self a 5D
On a side note, slightly off topic, Its funny looking at that Canon lense, the Panasonic 14-140mm is not too much bigger than that 14-45 - coke can size-ish, shows how much size is saved on m4/3rds lens wise :)

Remember its only early days for m4/3rds so although the format has some weaknesses it'll definately get better. I hope we'll get sigmas/tamrons and a few more panasonic leicas in the future ;-) more makers would mean lower prices because of competition :)

Cant wait for the end of Jan/feb - fingers crossed we'll get some interesting announcements :)

vincechu

On the topic of fast mid range zooms I saw this article at 43rumours (look at the "GH2 rumoured kit lenses":

All this informations are from a new source. Keep it in mind! We can’t guarantee the infos are true ok?

UPDATE: we made a first check and we are not convinced the rumor could become true. We are still waiting for some info from known sources.

That’s what I received right now:

—-

“Panasonic will announce following MicroFourThirds products at PMA

—————————————————————————————————————————————-

LENSES

14mm/F2.8(more compact than 20mm/F1.7),

8mm/F3.5 FishEye

—————————————————————————————————————————————-

CAMERAS

G1/GH1 replacement model. G2 and GH2 are differentiated by image sensor and kit lenses. G2 have similar image sensor of GH1. GH2 will have new desingned image sensor. Other specs will be almost same.

———————————-

GH2
~14MP LiveMOS supports 1080/60p(up to 24Mbps) AVCHD movie, global shutter, multiple-aspect.
~EVF:360Hz;RGBx120Hz SXGA(target), which can tilt forward&backward
~LCD(vari-angle):960xRGBx540 guarterFullHD(HITACHI Displays, a affiliate company of Panasonic)
~AF will get a little bit more faster, SDXC, HDMI real-time output, Bluetooth3.0(target)
~colors:GRAPHITE BLACK, TITANIUM, MIDNIGHT BLUE VIOLET
~kit:14-140mm/F4.0-5.6 HD OIS, 12-75mm/F2.5-3.3 HD OIS(target)

G2
~14MP LiveMOS supports 1080/60p(up to 24Mbps) AVCHD movie, global shutter, multiple-aspect.
~EVF:360Hz;RGBx120Hz SXGA(target), fixed
~LCD(vari-angle):960xRGBx540 quarterFullHD(HITACHI Displays, a affiliate company of Panasonic)
~AF will get a little bit more faster, SDXC, Bluetooth3.0(target)
~built-in stereo microphone
~colors:URBAN RED, EXTRA BLACK, CORAL GOLD
~kit:14-45mm/F3.5-5.6 OIS, 45-200mm/F4.0-5.6 OIS, 14mm/F2.8”

—-

Once again. We don’t know the source. But we had to post such a nice rumor even if there is a good chance that it isn’t true :)

monza

12-75mm/F2.5-3.3 HD OIS(target)

Very nice!

Of course it will only be bundled with the GH2 body for $1500. :)

V

Vivek

GH2, OK. Should make video shooting a joy, I would gather.

If any such zoom gets bundled with a G2, that would be a problem.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
12-75mm/F2.5-3.3 HD OIS(target)

Very nice!

Of course it will only be bundled with the GH2 body for $1500. :)
That maybe okay i would still go for it. I have the 14-140 now and it's nice but having a 12mm in the mix is much better not to mention faster

ustein

Contributing Editor
That maybe okay i would still go for it. I have the 14-140 now and it's nice but having a 12mm in the mix is much better not to mention faster
Faster would be key to me and alsothere could be better contrast with the 14-140mm lens. Always like the results from the 4/3 14-54mm.

Diane B

Okay---all of the above has convinced me to sit tight with what I have (which covers 9mm -200mm with some reasonably faster options in there) and wait this time before realigning my lens lineup LOL.

Diane

vincechu

Okay---all of the above has convinced me to sit tight with what I have (which covers 9mm -200mm with some reasonably faster options in there) and wait this time before realigning my lens lineup LOL.

Diane
i agree Diane, I was thinking of getting myself an E-P2 and the 20mm, but with all the rumours of new cameras and lenses which may be announced or released soon, I'm going to hang on to my money just in case I end up regretting it in about a months time :p

also the singapore Panasonic site counter reaches zero on the 31st Jan, hopefully they'll be some announcements then :)

JBurnett

In the interests of keeping size & weight under control.

12-35 f/2.8
17-50 f/2.8
35-105 f/2.8-3.5
50-150 f/4