The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus EP-2 (or EP-1) and Lightroom

httivals

I'm thinking of buying an EP-2. Already have the Panasonic G1. I shoot RAW. Does lightroom apply the same automatic chromatic aberration and distortion corrections to EP-2 images as it does with G1 images? . . . With the 20mm f1.7, it probably wouldn't be that big of an issue, but I expect with the Panasonic 14-45mm or 7-14mm lenses, I'm much better off with having the automatic lightroom corrections applied.

Thanks in advance, Howard

Terry

Yes and no. It isn't Lightroom dependent it is Oly dependent. Oly only sends distortion correction information to the Raw converters and does not correct for CA. Panasonic corrects distortion a little more fully than Oly but that has not a big deal at all.

Godfrey

To expand on Terry's answer:

The lens correction metadata is in the lens. It is communicated to the body when the lens is mounted and an exposure is made. Whether that metadata contains rectilinear correction data or chromatic aberration data is specific on a lens by lens basis. What I've found so far with the lenses I've tried:

Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH - CA correction data
Lumix G Vario 14-45, 7-14, 45-200 and 45, 20 mm - RC and CA correction data
M.Zuiko 14-42 and 17 mm - RC data

At that point it's up to the body to use the data. So far, all the Panasonic bodies embed both RC and CA correction information into the .RW2 files. All the Olympus bodies embed only the RC correction information.

Lightroom v2.6 processes the files from all current mFT bodies with all available lens correction metadata applied.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH - CA correction data
Lumix G Vario 14-45, 7-14, 45-200 and 45, 20 mm - RC and CA correction data
M.Zuiko 14-42 and 17 mm - RC data

At that point it's up to the body to use the data. So far, all the Panasonic bodies embed both RC and CA correction information into the .RW2 files. All the Olympus bodies embed only the CA correction information.
Hang on Godfrey - don't you mean that the Olympus bodies only embed the RC correction data (and NOT the CA correction)?

all the best

Godfrey

Oh -- that's a big difference. I find chromatic abberation the most difficult to correct.
Lightroom makes correcting CA pretty easy, and it's particularly easy when you're correcting it in raw image files. The CA correction sliders are in the Develop module, Detail panel, one for R-G and the other for B-Y.

A tip: hold the Option or Alt key down when you click and drag them, and the image will desaturate to just the colors you are trying to mesh while you're doing the adjustment.

Another tip: find an edge at a corner and set the display magnification to 1:1.

Once you've got the adjustment set for a particular lens and f/number setting, make a Develop preset for those adjustments. Then, in the future, when you use that lens you just apply the preset and you're done.

I have CA presets set up for the Olympus 25, 11-22, and 35 Macro. Makes it very easy to work with all of them.

httivals

Yes, but that assumes that the CA is uniform throughout the image, which I doubt, especially for a lens like the Panasonic 7-14mm -- one of the great lenses of the m4/3 system. With the Panasonic G1, there's no visible CA when shooting in RAW and using Lightroom.

Lightroom makes correcting CA pretty easy, and it's particularly easy when you're correcting it in raw image files. The CA correction sliders are in the Develop module, Detail panel, one for R-G and the other for B-Y.

A tip: hold the Option or Alt key down when you click and drag them, and the image will desaturate to just the colors you are trying to mesh while you're doing the adjustment.

Another tip: find an edge at a corner and set the display magnification to 1:1.

Once you've got the adjustment set for a particular lens and f/number setting, make a Develop preset for those adjustments. Then, in the future, when you use that lens you just apply the preset and you're done.

I have CA presets set up for the Olympus 25, 11-22, and 35 Macro. Makes it very easy to work with all of them.

Diane B

Yes, but that assumes that the CA is uniform throughout the image, which I doubt, especially for a lens like the Panasonic 7-14mm -- one of the great lenses of the m4/3 system. With the Panasonic G1, there's no visible CA when shooting in RAW and using Lightroom.
I think all the m4/3rds Panasonic lenses have CA correction in LR--if I'm not mistaken, I think Godfrey is just referring to some lenses that don't have automatic CA correction in LR--legacy 4/3rds lenses.

Daine

Godfrey

I think all the m4/3rds Panasonic lenses have CA correction in LR--if I'm not mistaken, I think Godfrey is just referring to some lenses that don't have automatic CA correction in LR--legacy 4/3rds lenses.
All the Panasonic mFT lenses have CA correction in their firmware. Only the Panasonic bodies use it and embed it in the raw files for Lightroom to use.

Lateral chromatic aberration shifts, on lenses which don't have the correction in firmware, are predictable across the field of view in my experience. They operate on a curve that the software takes into account as you move off the lens axis. The reason for going to an edge is that the adjustment is most visible there.

I can't speak for the 7-14 specifically... I have a few exposures made with one but I use the G1 so the CA is corrected automatically by LR based on metadata in the raw files.

Diane B

All the Panasonic mFT lenses have CA correction in their firmware. Only the Panasonic bodies use it and embed it in the raw files for Lightroom to use.
I should never say 'I think.....' when I know that LOL. And--I should learn to type my name correctly.

Diane

Jerry_R

Are RC metadata written to RAW files by Olympus and Panasonic exactly the same? 100%?

Or may be even slightly - different? Has it anytime been published officially? Or we only guess?

Additional question - what is written in RAW: metadata about distortion, or info how to correct it?

If 1st, than yes, results from Olympus and Panasonic should be the same.
Is 2nd, than it could mean that even for the same lens, with the same distortion - the receipt, guide for LR - could be different.

Another words - will the same lens give always exactly the same results when attached to Olympus and Panasonic body - and RAW opened in LR?
(I mean RC, not CA, which may not be present for Olympus).

PS:
Oryginal question that I started to think of is: could it be possible, that micro 9-18mm attached to Panasonic would give sharper edges, than to Olympus?

PPS:
as we know, Panasoni LX3 is also being corrected by LR. Do you think it stores the same correction metadata in RAW - as u43 does?