The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's your µ4/3 QR-plate and head solution?

Jonas

I have used a Camdapter Manfrotto fit QR-plate together with my G1 camera since I bought the camera last winter. My most used head is a Manfrotto 468MGRC2. The camera with the QR plate:

Pros:
I can switch battery without removing the plate thanks to having it mounted turned 90 degrees
I can move the camera between the head and the Manfrotto 293 tele support (as described by Peter here).
It works

Cons:
The head can sometimes dip a little when locking the position. This happens with tele lenses

Conclusion:
I'm happy, but not very happy, with this solution.

and finally the question:
What's your solution?
I'm interested in a good head that doesn't move at all when locking the camera position. It should have a QR plate where I can fasten the hand strap and the QR plate must not cover the battery door.

I have read about the Markins Q-Ball Q3 Emille, maybe the Traveler version, and seem to remember it should work fine. What's your experiences, or other possible suggestions?

regards,

/Jonas

Terry

Really Right stuff has two different plates that allow for battery access on GF1/G1/GH1

BP - 6 is the smaller of the two.

I've had two different setups. My newest setup is the Arca Swiss below. I've only done one real shoot with it but plan on doing a write up in the review section soon.

Both work very well and can hold my heavier gear (A900 system)

New:
Arca Swiss P0 + Arca Clamp

Old:
Gitzo 1780 + RRS Pano Clamp

Diane B

Jonas, I haven't changed my tripod, head, plate solution from my past use. I have the larger Markins head--I think it is a 10L. On my other cameras I use RRS L brackets which do have a connection for a handstrap. I have an old Camdaptor with hand strap on my 400D---I couldn't see a way to use it with the G1 because of the way mine threads through the lugs--the strap that connects through the lugs won't fit the G1's--I'd be interested as to how you connected yours--can't tell from the photos.

So--for the G1/GF1 I have an old Wimberly AS plate that does cover the battery door but hasn't been an issue for me and fits quite well except being a bit too long--I just carry a little Allen wrench to loosen it when I need to change batteries.

I've checked RRS--and for the G1 they recommend a small bi-directional plate which allows for entry to the battery.
http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/items.asp?Cc=BodyPanaG1&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

I'm a great fan of AS systems and find the Markins does not tilt with any lens (and assume the smaller ones are equally capable). What I do love about AS instead of Manfrotto and other QR systems is that it doesn't lock you into any system--usable with many heads, rails (I have the RRS focusing rail which I use for macro, panos, etc.) and a lot more flexible. You will be able to choose from a number of clamps (I don't use a QR--rather prefer a screw clamp), heads. And--there are a lot of plates available also--I haven't checked Kirk and others. Someone on this or another forum linked to a very inexpensive AS plate--but likely it does not have a slot for the handstrap---nor does the RRS bi-directional one just due to its design.

The upshot of this is---I haven't really looked for a better solution. I use the Wimberly on either the GF1 or G1 when needed, I use an optech wrist strap (not handstrap) with the G1 and moved it to the left side ala Godfrey who suggested that it was easier to change lenses--and I only use it for safety purposes anyhow--not to carry. With the GF1 I use the same Wimberly plate (but will likely buy another flat plat--there are a number available that will fit) and continue to use my Optech neckstrap shortened to clasp and make a small 'handle' that I wrap on my hand--and can add the neck piece if I want to carry around neck (the only camera I've even considered carrying that way).

I don't know about plates available for the m4/3rds right now--RRS plates in the past have had a slot for hand straps to be attached (I have the old Canon E1 strap on my 5D with an RRS AS L bracket). I just checked the Camdaptor site since it has a number with the AS plates, but none they recommend for the G1.

So--in the end, nothing to suggest. I'm okay with my system. I like the AS plate--whichever mfg. I'm less inclined to be interested in a handstrap for the G1 or GF1 so haven't looked for an AS plate with a slot--and I'm still wondering what handstrap has a connection to the top that will go through the G1's lug.

I would think that a Camdaptor with an AS plate (most of theirs) that has a connection to use with the G1 lugs and one of a number of AS clamps to use with a variety of heads would work--Both Markins and RRS would be good choices for heads/clamps. I just checked Markins and think the smaller ballheads would work fine. They have a bidirectional plate similar to RRS that should not cover the battery door. However, like RRS--it does not have a slot for a handstrap. That's the only issue I can see--finding a plate with the strap slot. Otherwise, I can recommend a lot of different AS sytems--I'm looking forward to Terry's review of her new system, but--for me--my old head/clamp/plates works well--I use it with 2 Manfrotto tripods.

Diane

Last edited:

Jonas

(...)
New:
Arca Swiss P0 + Arca Clamp

Thank you Terry,

That's an interesting newcomer. I found a user review of the head here. When you make your write-up on it will you please pay some attention to the remarks made about the head being a bit jerky when loaded with too light-weight equipment?
The first impression is good; little weight and sturdy!

/Jonas

Jonas

(...)
So--for the G1/GF1 I have an old Wimberly AS plate that does cover the battery door but hasn't been an issue for me and fits quite well except being a bit too long--I just carry a little Allen wrench to loosen it when I need to change batteries.
(...)
So--in the end, nothing to suggest. I'm okay with my system. I like the AS plate--whichever mfg. I'm less inclined to be interested in a handstrap for the G1 or GF1 so haven't looked for an AS plate with a slot--and I'm still wondering what handstrap has a connection to the top that will go through the G1's lug.
Hi Diane, and thank you for the input.

I turned the Camdaptor plate 90 degrees. It may look odd but works as well as a smaller plate would do - and I don't need to bring the Allen wrench. I know I would forget it, or be unable to find it some day when out...

For the wrist strap (not "hand", thanks) I just use what Camdapter sent me. There were no problems getting the strap through the lug. It looks like this (an image from the archive but I think you can see how it works):

regards,

/Jonas

Diane B

LOL---Jonas, this is a DUH moment. I took those metal triangle things off my lugs at the very beginning because they rattled and have now, of course, forgotten where I put them. I even forgot they ever existed so couldn't figure out HOW you could get those straps through the lugs without them LOL. Well, I guess I'll just feel foolish LOLOL.

I would recommend buying a plate that fits without covering the battery--like the RRS or Markins bi directional ones. When I think of it, I'll buy a smaller/shorter one and won't have to carry the Allen wrench, but for now, I always have one in every bag--and have one with multi sizes in my larger bag since I use them for a lot of different things-- tripod, etc.

My referring to the Camdaptor as a handstrap is because I think of a strap that supports my hand as that--as opposed to the loopy strap (wrist strap) that you just slip over your wrist strictly as a safety thing--I would never actually carry the camera by one (though maybe some do--but it would swing around, wouldn't it??).

I like my old Camdaptor on my 400d--AS plate and strap in one, but for my larger cameras I really prefer L brackets--just never bought one for that camera since I didn't use it much after I bought it as my 'small' cam--and discovered that it didn't afford me much difference once I put my EF lenses on it. That lead to my buying the G1 LOL.

Hope you find a good solution. I have had my Markins for a number of years and love it. Quite a number of years ago I had Manfrotto heads and QR plates (I'm sure they are still around LOL--with my usual procrastination about selling off gear) but when I switched to Arca Swiss system, it opened up a lot of other easy possibilities for various plates/rails for different uses. AND--the Markins is stable with all my lenses--tightens down really tight--and the AS plates just don't allow slippage like the Manfrotto plates because of their design.

Diane

JCT

On my G1 I use a small plate from Kirk , the PZ-130. Very small and unobtrusive. Will buy another for the GH1.

My usual travel tripod setup is earmarked for the G1 and is a Gitzo 1541T plus an nice, light Acratech ball head + Kirk A-S plate. I also own a Markins 10 and have been very pleased, but I tend to use it with the big iron.

JT

R

rachp

I use Acratech 2173 plate for the GH-1. I can get to the battery without moving the plate. I decided I didn't need an L plate.

I use the Markins Q3 head with an RRS clamp. Great size and quality! I have this head on the Joby gorillapod focus. If I need a full height tripod then I break out my Bogen and BH-55.

Godfrey

I use both Acratech Ultimate Ball Head (fitted with Really Right Stuff LR-II clamp) and Markins Q3 heads. For the G1, I was using a FOBA generic plate with a cork liner but it blocked the battery door.

Recently, I purchased an Acratech plate. Like the RRS plates I have, it has no compressible liner and the G1's tripod mounting boss stands proud of the camera base, so a lot of pressure is required to lock it in place. I corrected this ... took no more than two minutes, a scissors, a scrap of Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, and some rubber cement ...

The result is absolutely secure, tidy, and fits perfectly with little stress on the camera.

R

rachp

Good info, Godfrey. I wonder how old your plate is? I just purchased mine in November so I wonder if they have made any slight changes to make the fit better? Or, maybe there is a slight body difference between the G-1 and GH-1? Thanks!

Oh yeah, gotta love the Q3!!

R. Bowman

I also use the RRS B-6 plate. I compressed a square piece of bicycle inner tube between the plate and the bottom of my G1 to insure a snug fit. I use a FOBA Mini SuperBall QR head.

Godfrey

Good info, Godfrey. I wonder how old your plate is? I just purchased mine in November so I wonder if they have made any slight changes to make the fit better? Or, maybe there is a slight body difference between the G-1 and GH-1? Thanks!

Oh yeah, gotta love the Q3!!
I ordered the plate on Dec 31 so it is the most recent vintage, far as I know. The issue is that the G1, unlike any other camera I've used, has this raised tripod mounting boss. It's subtle, but it makes a difference to camera stability on the plate. I don't know whether the GH1 has this too, but if it does the same fix applies.

It is such a small and easy fix, I see nothing wrong with doing it myself.

Jonas

LOL---Jonas, this is a DUH moment. I took those metal triangle things off my lugs at the very beginning because they rattled and have now, of course, forgotten where I put them. I even forgot they ever existed ...
Hmm. You probably put them into the box the G1 came in.
Lol, that explains why I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I imagined heavy duty wrist straps... but on the G1?

JT, rachp, Godfrey and Robert,

Thank you for all the input, for the detailed replies as well as the shorter ones. You have given me some food for thoughts. I'll do some reading (incl Terry's coming report) and then who knows what will happen. I'm not in any hurry but in the long run I'll need something better than my current Manfrotto setup.

carbon and clamps,

/Jonas

mreddington

I just enquired with RRS about the best set up for the G1 and received the reply:

"The plate needed for the G1 is the BPnS. I have tried to recommend the B6, but it needed some filing done to it to make it work, so I do not like to recommend it anymore for the GH1. I have to stick with the BPNS for that camera."

This is the plate: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=BPnS&eq=&Tp=

Any comments on this since it contradicts their own recommendation on the site?

Thanks
Martin

Diane B

Personally I'd just bypass it. I think I will either order one of the Acratech or Kirk plates. When I checked Kirk I found that they have an L for the GF1 also. Has anyone tried a Kirk L--since the RRS seemed to have some problems?

I'm still not sure if I even want an L for the GF1--I've bought (and sold a few) Ls for almost every camera I've owned over the years as the new upgrade body almost never uses the old L. My preference would have been for the G1, but I understand there's been a problem in developing one due to the tilt screen.

Diane

JBurnett

I've been using the Gitzo 1178M head and plate. The plate is small and doesn't block access to the battery door. It works well for general use -- it's a very simple, 1-lever ball head.

photoSmart42

I plan on using something like this: universal hand strap, then attaching a QR plate to it. I don't change my battery that often, only at the end of the day to recharge it, and the quick disconnect for the hand strap allows me to do that pretty easily.

JBurnett

I plan on using something like this: universal hand strap, then attaching a QR plate to it. I don't change my battery that often, only at the end of the day to recharge it, and the quick disconnect for the hand strap allows me to do that pretty easily.
I bought something similar to this a few years ago for my Canon DSLR. Tried mounting my tripod plate to the bottom of it, but it didn't feel like a really solid solution -- there was some flex. Ultimately, I went with a Camdapter plate and strap for my Manfrotto.

R. Bowman

I don't understand the objection to the RRS B6 plate, unless it is the need to accommodate the raised area on the base of the G1, which is easily done without any filing, as described in earlier posts. The one RRS is now recommending, the BPnS, looks quite similar, except for the cork piece. Also, the B6 has an anti-twist lip which does not interfere in any way with the articulating LCD. It's not clear from the picture on the RRS site that the BPnS has the lip.

Godfrey

I just enquired with RRS about the best set up for the G1 and received the reply:

"The plate needed for the G1 is the BPnS. I have tried to recommend the B6, but it needed some filing done to it to make it work, so I do not like to recommend it anymore for the GH1. I have to stick with the BPNS for that camera."

This is the plate: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=BPnS&eq=&Tp=

Any comments on this since it contradicts their own recommendation on the site?
A friend uses the B-6 and it works fine, but it is subject to the same issues as I mentioned above, and has less room for a solution. This BPnS should work fine, but I think the Acratech with my mod is going to be more secure.