The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's your µ4/3 QR-plate and head solution?

Godfrey

I'm still not sure if I even want an L for the GF1--
Acratech has an excellent universal L-bracket concept ...
http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=71

This is the only L bracket that I'd buy. It's based on the notion that you have a standard camera plate and occasionally *need* an L-bracket ... while a bit on the pricey side, it provides the functionality for any body, rather than just one, and has a built in level of adjustability since you can move the camera position on the clamp easily.

I don't need/use an L-bracket enough to want to spend $110-120 per camera body for a custom fitted one.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FIrst off, I am a total plate addict, and usually bolt custom L brackets to any new body the day it arrives and never take it off until the day I sell it. Expect when it comes to my M4/3 bodies. Here, I like them naked because they remain as small as possible, mainly use them hand-held even in crappy light, and basically don't even worry about camera movement -- a sort of street-shooter-esque philosophy. Heck, sometimes the motion blur even adds to the image!

So when I do need a tripod, I either mount a ridiculously large generic base with rubber anti-skid pads on it and a screw that can be managed with a coin, or use my travel pod without clamp. My little Gitzo G1540 purposely has the Gitzo basic, clampless GH 1780 ballhead on it for this reason. I have an RRS threaded clamp mounted that is easily removable so I can simply mount the GF1 (or any other camera without plate) the old fashioned way, by screwing it onto the head. When I travel with only the GF1, the clamp is left home. Yes it takes 5 seconds longer to mount and unmount the camera this old fashioned way, but for the very few times I both with a tripod on the little camera, it works fine.

My .02...

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
What an informative thread! Thanks, Jonas, for starting it.

I don't understand the objection to the RRS B6 plate, unless it is the need to accommodate the raised area on the base of the G1, which is easily done without any filing, as described in earlier posts. The one RRS is now recommending, the BPnS, looks quite similar, except for the cork piece. Also, the B6 has an anti-twist lip which does not interfere in any way with the articulating LCD. It's not clear from the picture on the RRS site that the BPnS has the lip.
+1

I'm happily using RRS B6 plates on both my G1 bodies -- though Godfrey's Acratech 2173 seems equally good.

This is the only L bracket that I'd buy. It's based on the notion that you have a standard camera plate and occasionally *need* an L-bracket ... while a bit on the pricey side, it provides the functionality for any body, rather than just one, and has a built in level of adjustability since you can move the camera position on the clamp easily.

I don't need/use an L-bracket enough to want to spend $110-120 per camera body for a custom fitted one.
Thanks for this pointer, Godfrey. A much more economical long-term solution than repeatedly buying camera-specific L brackets.

Diane B

I have this feeling that I'm going to feel foolish again on this thread LOL, but here goes.

I agree with Godfrey--I'm just not willing to spend that money on a dedicated L bracket anymore either, but I really did like using one quite a lot (and the fit and finish of both the Kirks and RRSs have been lovely on the cameras---I prefer shooting handheld with my 5D with it on the camera--plus my old Canon E1 handstrap).

I've looked at the Acratech and have a question. It says that it attaches to the camera via an AS clamp. Below that it says its compatible with a variety of various mfg. QR plates and clamps. SO----just looking at it (and it seems as though its reversed to me--the side portion of the L seems to be on the wrong side--the knob being on the bottom and normally the L extends up the left side looking at the back of the camera) it appears that the clamp has to have a plate to attach to. Does that mean that you have an AS plate attached to the camera, then attach the universal L bracket to the plate? OR--am I missing something????

I like the concept of this--but realize its not a bracket one could leave on all the time (knob) as I do with my Ls on my 5D, etc. I'm not sure I would mind that since I shoot handheld a lot--just when using the tripod, clamp it on. If it is stable with a variety of camera bodies I wouldn't mind spending the money--just wish they had shown it ON a camera body so I could get some sense of how it fits.

The other question is---how well it works with the cable that the RRS L for the GF1 had issues with. My 5D L has plenty of room but the connections are more easily accessed. Then there is the use of the tilt screen on the G1--I wonder if it would be usable at all. It they had it attached to a camera I think it would be possible to tell if there was room to use the tilt. Seems to me if it fits most DSLRS then it would be largish and perhaps allow room on the left side for the screen to possibly be used. Worse case, one could turn the LCD flat. But--if it doesn't touch the camera body side--it may not be stable enough.

Seems to me the only way to find out is bite the bullet and order one from B & H where I could return it if it didn't work. I'd like very much the option to use an L on all my cameras--and esp. the 2 m4/3rds.

So--thanks Godfrey--and maybe you or someone can tell me if my assumption in third paragraph is right or wrong.

Diane

Godfrey

...I've looked at the Acratech and have a question. It says that it attaches to the camera via an AS clamp. Below that it says its compatible with a variety of various mfg. QR plates and clamps. SO----just looking at it (and it seems as though its reversed to me--the side portion of the L seems to be on the wrong side--the knob being on the bottom and normally the L extends up the left side looking at the back of the camera) it appears that the clamp has to have a plate to attach to. Does that mean that you have an AS plate attached to the camera, then attach the universal L bracket to the plate? OR--am I missing something???? ...
I thought the pictured looked odd too, so I wrote them. The clamp can be rotated in 90 degree increments. And yes, you fit a camera plate to the camera, and that's fitted to the L-bracket.

How well it works ... well, the concept is good. There's a certain amount of acjustability with the plate so I don't think the issues with a custom fit apply.

I don't own one yet ... perhaps soon. :) Priorities ...

Diane B

Thanks Godfrey. As you say, priorities. My flat plate has been working for me. As I get into more tripod shooting in the Spring I may just find myself really wishing for an L and try it. I finally got around to ordering a cable release for the m4/3rds, so perhaps no L will work well with that.

Diane

Terry

Thanks Godfrey. As you say, priorities. My flat plate has been working for me. As I get into more tripod shooting in the Spring I may just find myself really wishing for an L and try it. I finally got around to ordering a cable release for the m4/3rds, so perhaps no L will work well with that.

Diane
Just to be clear on the RRS L bracket with cable release. It works fine if you are using a clap with a deep recess. For example with the Arca Swiss clamp I'm using it isn't a problem - there is clearance. However, with the RRS Pano clamp shown in the picture earlier in the thread there is a problem. So, while I wouldn't recommend that everyone go out and buy an L bracket for the GF1, there are ways in which they can work just fine. The silliest part of all this is that RRS only really needed to add about 1-2 mm to the current bracket and it would be fine.

Jonas

Thank you for all further thoughts on this matter.

Terry; I'm intrigued by the new Arca Swiss p0 head. I always like new interesting thinking and engineering. Did you find it easy to find and control the locking ring with the camera mounted to the head? Is it easy to adjust the friction?

I don't mind the manfrotto RC2 plates. They aren't really as "good" as the AS plates and clamps, the finish isn't really there and so on. But, they haven't failed me and I don't find them slippery. I just make sure I press I the camera at place and push the clamp release arm against the camera and I never experienced a problem.

With all the input here and some thoughts about different solutions I guess my problem, simply enough, is just the head. I don't need an L bracket.

The AS p0 and the Markins Q3 Emille are both of interest, I see the Q3 as a proven construction but it would force me to switch plates (several) while the p= may be a good head (unproven) allowing me to try a Manfrotto clamp.

Oh well, the Manfrotto RC2 system isn't for the big boys... but the µ4/3 stuff isn't that big, heavy or mean either.

Thanks again,

/Jonas

Terry

Jonas,
So far so good with the P0, I do really like it. A more elegant solution on the P0 is the clamp they sell with it

View attachment 27206

The problem is it uses their new proprietary plate that they are working on launching. I was not willing to change over from my other RRS plates.

I have not found it hard to move or set. Nor have I found it jerky. However, again I haven't used it too much yet. I will be using it extensively at the end of February and was planning to do the write up at that time. I will probably go out shooting over the weekend and can give you an update at that time. i will take photos of the cameras on the tripod/head in different positions and post the "action" photos here.

Jonas

Yes, the native p0 clamp and the head look just fine together. But as mentioned, switching to their new "Slidefix" plate isn't anything I'm tempted to do. Lol, you saw what my blue G1 with the Camdapter Manfrotto RC2 plate looks like... I don't need a an elegant looking solution...

If you have the time to post more of your impressions after the weekend that would be great! Meanwhile I'm happy to hear you find it easy to handle and not being jerky.

/Jonas

JMaher

Terry,

The new P0 looks very interesting but I am also interested in your experience with the Gitzo 1780 ballhead. It looks like a fairly elegant solution as well. Since you have them both I can wait for your review on the P0 but perhaps a few words on the 1780?

I am attempting to put together a travel system and recently purchased a used (and old but still nice) Gitzo G01 tripod that is looking for a head. Trying to keep costs down if possible.

Jim