The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 20mm and rotation information

V

Vivek

"rotation" information? Did you mean the focus distance information?

If that is the latter, I have not seen it with any m4/3rds lenses in the EXIF. It might exist.

pellicle

no, I mean rotation information. Camera orientation information.

If I hold the camera in portrait then the kit zoom provides that data and viewers then rotate that image to present it as taken. The camera does so with the images too.

PeterB666

Only the camera body gives this information. The lens is fixed relative to the camera so it would be pointless for the lens to provide the informaiton.

CPWarner

I noticed the same thing. In Lightroom, all my verticals with the 20mm needed to be rotated. I recall reading about that somewhere. It is a little annoying. I am not sure why Panasonic could not handle that.

A

Abbazz

On Panasonic Micro-4/3rds cameras, there is no built-in accelerometer to provide orientation information. When a Mega-OIS lens is mounted, this information is provided by the accelerometer indide the lens, that's why the pictures taken with the kit zoom have the correct orientation in the EXIF. Unfortunately, the 20/1.7 lens -- or the 7-14 zoom -- has no stabilization, that's why orientation information is not available when using this lens.

Cheers!

Abbazz

V

Vivek

Most DSLRs have orientation sensors (not accelerometer, Abbazz) built in the cams. I think it is absent in the G1 (that I know of).

pellicle

Hi

On Panasonic Micro-4/3rds cameras, there is no built-in accelerometer to provide orientation information. When a Mega-OIS lens is mounted, this information is provided by the accelerometer indide the lens,
Unfortunately, the 20/1.7 lens -- or the 7-14 zoom -- has no stabilization, that's why orientation information is not available when using this lens.
thanks dude ... that's what I thought ... no OIS = no metadata

I keep struggling with buying this lens ... part of me says do it, and another part of me says sell the 9-18 zoom and put the money the 20mm costs together with that towards a used 5D (I still have my EF50mm and EF24mm and some other lenses like a nice 21mm).

The G1 makes a nice travel camera and with some small money spent on a few adaptors and low price FD lenses really fleshes the system out for light weight stuff covering much of what I like to photograph. Its definitely the best camera to have with me all the time.

However it lacks in a couple of key areas for me, first is shallow depth of field normals. The Panasonic 20mm just doesn't cut it for me compared to a 50mm on a 35mm system, it is comparable in visual DoF to a 50mm with about f4 and I happen to really prefer the subject stand-out from 1.8

Secondly there aren't any AF IS lenses available for it in the long telephoto area ...

so perhaps I really still do need two systems.

PS for those who aren't aware of it the thing which is the determination for DoF is not F Number so much as aperture diameter. So an aperture of 1.7 on the 20mm gives about 11.7mm diameter and that equals f4.5 on a 50mm ... not as much as I'd like.

A 50mm with f1.8 gives a diameter of 27mm which just isn't going to be easy on a normal lens for the 4/3 system ... This will impact DoF for me, for instance, comparing a 24mm lens on a DSLR to a 9mm lens on a compact camera; both have exactly the same angle of view.

If you look at F_Number it would seem that the compact has way more DoF at f8 than does the DSLR, but we find that for a 24mm lens at f8 the size of the hole is 24/8 = 3mm and that for the lens on the coolpix (9mm) at f3 works out to 9/3 = 3mm. Thus when you compare them at f8 and f3 you will see them equal in DoF. I have a page with demo's here (for those who wish to see this)

pellicle

Most DSLRs have orientation sensors (not accelerometer, Abbazz) built in the cams. I think it is absent in the G1 (that I know of).
yes, as was stated by Abbazz, its in the lenses not in the body. Interesting design choice by Panasonic.

JBurnett

That IS an interesting choice. Incorrect orientation is a bit annoying, but I'm so used to software being annoying that I'd assumed it was an early Adobe Camera Raw glitch -- I'd never bothered to pin it down to specific lenses. :)

I notice now that if you correct the orientation in ACR and open the image, the associated XMP file remembers the correct orientation the next time the image is opened.

A

Abbazz

Thanks for the precision. I had been told that orientation in Micro-4/3rds cameras was determined by acceleration sensors (accelerometers) located either in the Panasonic Mega OIS stabilization device built-in the lenses for Panasonic, or in the tilt indicator/stabilization device built-in the E-P1/E-P2 cameras for Olympus.

Cheers!

Abbazz