The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2: first shutter-less camera

Rawfa

According to the website eosHD “In what is being billed as another sizeable revolution in the camera world, Panasonic is set to unveil a shutter-less DSLR. Billed as a ‘global shutter’ and marketed as HD Progressive, Panasonic will for now reserve this feature only for their high end range of camcorders and the GH2.

Panasonic is set to release the LX4 and G2 in February, but the GH2 will wait until the 2nd half of 2010 according to my source in Asia. Rather than do a yearly update of the GH line, Panasonic want to bring a greater incremental step to the ‘luxury’ line.“,,,”The global shutter also creates the possibility of an entirely silent camera. Goodbye shutter click. On a DSLR a global shutter requires greater power demands and causes the sensor to run hot, but Panasonic were able to develop one because their modern CMOS processing plant can shrink a chip below 35 nanometers, which coupled with the relatively small (in DSLR terms) sensor size of the Micro 4/3rds format allows the chip to run cooler.“

V

Vivek

One big advantage for the cam maker is the reduction in costs by eliminating one more (in addition the the reflex mirror) movable part.

I wish the (rumored) G2 would have it.

Ben Rubinstein

If they can work that for all shutter speeds is a huge breakthrough in camera design. Should make camera design both smaller and cheaper, more reliable, etc. That is a groundbreaking advance in the break from traditional camera limitations and design when that hits DSLR's.

tom in mpls

If they can work that for all shutter speeds is a huge breakthrough in camera design. Should make camera design both smaller and cheaper, more reliable, etc. That is a groundbreaking advance in the break from traditional camera limitations and design when that hits DSLR's.
That should eliminate flash synch speed limits. Wow, it would change things.

photoSmart42

It was only a matter of time before shutterless DSLRs came out, and I'm glad someone's finally jumping on this. Can't wait to see what form it'll take. If the GH2 also gets a better sensor (more dynamic range, better ISO performance), then I'll gladly trade my GH1 for it.

m3photo

Re: Shutter Release

It was only a matter of time before shutterless DSLRs came out, and I'm glad someone's finally jumping on this.
Next on the out-of-the-box-thinking list: moving the shutter release button from where it has unergonomically been for too long. It should be on the front not on the top, especially for the thousands of cameras now that people shoot with whilst holding them at arm's length. If a transition period is required there's no problem in having the two with a menu-driven choice.

Re: Shutter Release

Next on the out-of-the-box-thinking list: moving the shutter release button from where it has unergonomically been for too long. It should be on the front not on the top, especially for the thousands of cameras now that people shoot with whilst holding them at arm's length.
It is not such a new idea. Exakta and Alpa Reflex for instance had their shutter release on the front. I did not like it that much, I prefer the "unergonomical" position on the top. It is probably a matter of personal preference, like the position of the gear shift lever in a car.