The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH1/14-140 comparison with Nikon D300/18-200VR

Lisa

I just bought a Panasonic GH1 kit with the 14-140 lens as a possible smaller and lighter alternative to my Nikon D300 with the Nikon 18-200 VR lens (similar zoom range after accounting for sensor size), and took both to Yosemite over last weekend. I took a few of the same photos with both so I could compare them, and thought I'd report on what I found here...

I processed both the images below with ACR (starting with raw), using a similar approach for both. Despite the difference in sensor size, I thought the GH1/14-140 produced very nearly the image quality of the D300/18-200. The D300 was very slightly sharper, mostly in the corners, but that's the only quality difference I could find, and the difference was quite small. (Differences in contrast & brightness are likely just the variation in my post-processing; I processed each completely independently, without comparing with the other one.)

I still don't feel very comfortable with using the GH1 and its features yet, so I used the D300 for most of the trip, but that will get better with practice.

The GH1:

The D300:

Thanks to all you here who have been discussing the GH1 & GF1 this past year, as you're all the reason I decided to get one!

(I'm also posting this to the Nikon forum so the Nikon folks can see it too.)

Lisa

m3photo

Re: G1/14-45 comparison with Canon 5D

Thanks to all you here who have been discussing the GH1 & GF1 this past year, as you're all the reason I decided to get one!
I found myself in a similar boat a good few months ago and can say the same thing, just that in this case it was a G1 versus a Canon 5D.

Lisa

Another comment, after doing a low-light (ISO 800) test shot (again, using raw) in my house...the D300 seems to have a little more image detail and sharpness, but a little more shadow noise than the GH1. Again, though, they're very close.

Lisa

B

boyzo

Re: GH1/14-140 users should be happy ...

with this comparison Lisa .... I discern (from the web images) the Nikon has slightly more shadow contrast (Eizo 24" LCD) and considering possible PP differences the 14-140 is up to most needs for a 1 lens solution I like it for its closeup focus ability rapid AF and compact size.

Awesome place Yosemite ... wish I could go there :)

John