The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

telephoto birds

pellicle

Hi

since we don't have such a thread I thought it might be nice to start a picture thread on my favourite topic...

This little guy happens to be my favorite "tit" in Finland.

love to see your favorite birds

T

tmrgrs

Hi

since we don't have such a thread I thought it might be nice to start a picture thread on my favourite topic...love to see your favorite birds
I was trying out my recently purchased FD 200/2.8 on my GF1 last week when good fortune provided me with a photo opportunity in the back yard (not good fortune for the Jay though). This juvenile Cooper's Hawk had just caught a Blue Jay and was having dinner.

]

slau

I am still surprised to be able to capture this with such poor lighting and slow shutter speed:

Panasonic DMC-GH1 ,Panasonic Lumix G 14-140mm
1/6s f/5.8 at 91.0mm iso1000

Since I have a Canon EOS adapter, I will have to try to use my 500f4 with my G1/GH1. I love the results I got with my Canon 70-200f2.8. Some of those lenses are very good even shooting wide open. Yes, I know the trick of using the DOF button to pre-set the aperture. However, those long lenses love lots of light and demand the widest aperture the lens can offer.

Last edited:

pellicle

Hodad ... that last FD300f2.8 shot is beautiful ... were you shooting wide open? That's spectacular ... love to swap some 100% samples on that one if possible as I have a few issues with CA on the 300f4 at f4

Slau ... that owl shot is indeed spot on! I have been wondering about getting the micro4/3 tele zoom for its AF and OIS ... might be the go for some things

hodad66

The "white" L lenses are the most corrected of the Canon
bunch. That's why you pay the big bucks..... :)

The 300 cost me 725 with exterior paint damage and
since I have seen them go for slightly less. I'm still trying
to find a good deal on the 500/4.5 but I've spent way
too much money already!

I'll try to cook up a 100% crop of the raw for you.....
be aware that anything you see of mine is burned, sharpened,
leveled, etc, etc. That's the whole reason I have PS... :)

pellicle

Hi

The "white" L lenses are the most corrected of the Canon
bunch. That's why you pay the big bucks..... :)
sure, I know that (and have paid some big bucks in the past) ... but I have found that sometimes in the non-L there are some real beauties.

The 300 cost me 725 with exterior paint damage and
ok .. that puts a perspective on it. I paid $300 for my 300f4 (because it was in very tidy condition)

I'll try to cook up a 100% crop of the raw for you.....
be aware that anything you see of mine is burned, sharpened,
leveled, etc, etc. That's the whole reason I have PS... :)
just a segment, and from camera JPG is fine ... no processing please.

I'll post one from the FD300 so you can compare.

CPWarner

I just picked up a Canon FD 135mm F2.8. Amazing little lens, and all of $41 in pristine condition. There are some real bargains to be had in FD lenses, and they are less expensive than the olympus lenses. The 135mm is the same size and weight as the Olympus OM 135m F2.8. I will need to get an adapter for my EOS 500mm F4.5. That will be pretty crazy hanging a GF1 off it. but should be interesting to see the results.

pellicle

I just picked up a Canon FD 135mm F2.8. Amazing little lens, and all of $41 in pristine condition. There are some real bargains to be had in FD lenses, and they are less expensive than the olympus lenses.
for sure, perhaps because until the micro4/3 there were few cameras able to make use of them. I'm able to use OM lenses directly on my EOS camera (and do for instance use a 21mm and a 105mm on my EOS). Lovely optics and I'm sure that's kept the prices higher too.

I (like you) bought a FD200mm f4 for $50 and at less than 300g its a great addition to my backpack for "just in case" sorts of situations.