The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Lumix 14-45mm lens...

turbines

Willy nilly seems to be working well for you. I don't think too many folks making HDR images really worry too much about DR either. I suspect most use a technique similar to yours.

Thanks,

Paul

Amin

Very cool HDRs, Don. Although I sold mine, you can count me amongst the admirers of this lens. I think it's the best landscape lens in all of native Micro 4/3 when it comes to the 14mm focal length.

DHart

Thanks, Amin... that image of the boat really puts me there!

Yes, the lens is a really sharp little performer. Though the fancier, more extreme lenses tend to get all the attention, this little lens is stellar in it's compact, versatile performance.

bensonga

Don et al.....not sure how I overlooked this thread, but you are absolutely right about the 14-45mm lens. It is an excellent performer and generally underrated.

There are some really terrific images here (sharp, very sharp!) and it makes me realize how little I've done with my G1 and 14-45 recently.

Here's one of the few recent photos I've taken with the 14-45 and G1. It compares very favorably with images of this same dome I took today with a Canon 1D2 and the famed EOS 135/2 L series lens.

Gary

Diane B

This thread convinced me I need to stick it back in my bag. After I got my G1 with it as kit over 2 years ago I used it quite a lot and looking back got some shots I'm happy with. Its just taken 2nd or third place to faster primes, both AF and MF, but for many situations its still a good lens and more versatile and I know from before that its quite good IQ wise.

Diane

nugat

The 14-45 is the best kept secret of the m43 world. I tested in once on my GH1 against Leica glass on M8. It held up admirably. Of course within the comparable apertures. The rest of the Leica cost goes towards Elmarit at 2.8, Summicron at f2 and Summilux at f1.4, but at f4 they are not very much better than the lowly lumix.

m3photo

The 14-45 is the best kept secret of the m43 world.
It's the combination of the Panasonic lens and its sensor - the way they "speak" to each other that yields such quality. No matter how many "wonder" optics we've tried to put on the camera, the little lenses they made for it are always going to be the ones that get the most out of the sensor. Since the 14-45 the 20mm in my opinion is the lens for this camera.

Rich M

It's the combination of the Panasonic lens and its sensor - the way they "speak" to each other that yields such quality. No matter how many "wonder" optics we've tried to put on the camera, the little lenses they made for it are always going to be the ones that get the most out of the sensor. Since the 14-45 the 20mm in my opinion is the lens for this camera.
Thanks guys. I find the comments about the matching to the sensor interesting. To tell you the truth, I never thought along those lines. Kit lens has such a negative connotation that it wasn't until I was "stuck" with it on that desert trip, that I really began to appreciate it.

I am curious now....I just got the 45-200 from another member here. Amin has made some comments on another board as to its sharpness. I wonder if it will prove to be another case of a good sensor match.

Time will tell.....R

DHart

Great images, Rich & Glen... thanks for posting them.

It's nice to finally see some focus (pardon the pun) on this fantastic lens. When I look again at the images it created of my Canon G9, above, (made as for sale pics on eBay) I'm astounded at it's razor crisp clarity.

We get so busy and excited with our supplementary and legacy lenses that this one is usually set aside... not for lack of ability, but more for allowing opportunity to explore other lenses. Every time I put this lens back on my GF1 or GH2, I am rewarded with beautiful, very crisp images. The combination of small size, versatile 28-90mm equivalent range, and rich, sharp images makes this a wonderfully valued, worthy lens in my bag. :thumbup:

Let's keep the 14-45 images flowing! :)

Amin

I just got the 45-200 from another member here. Amin has made some comments on another board as to its sharpness. I wonder if it will prove to be another case of a good sensor match.

Time will tell.....R
I don't remember what I said, but I'll tell you what I think: In my experience, the 45-200 is a good value and deserves more credit than many people give to it. It is not as sharp as the 14-45mm lens - especially at the 200mm end - but I think you have to judge it in the context of other consumer grade super telephoto zooms like the Canon and Nikon 70-300 zooms tested on APS-C cameras.

kwalsh

Don't know how I missed this thread.

The 14-45 is a big part of why m43 works for me. Insanely small and lightweight but with IQ that is definitely "good enough" and a bit beyond. I shoot landscape, and with my Canon gear it is hard to find a nice, sharp, contrasty, slow zoom that doesn't weigh a bunch. Very happy Panasonic produced a quality lens that does the basics right without all the bulk of perceived "build quality". Never understood the sentiment of folks who seem overjoyed by camera equipment that weighs far more than it needs to...

The 14-45 and 7-14 are what I use the most along with a healthy does of the 45-200. Anyway, some from my 14-45 collection (all with a G1). Apologies, I'm sure a few are repeats of images I've posted in the past in other threads.

Ken

DHart

Ken... thanks for chiming in and contributing to this thread! Those are outstanding images which really show what a magnificently sharp, punchy lens the 14-45 is. I especially think the first in your series is stunning!!! Glad to see others who also recognize and appreciate the quality of the 14-45.

Matix

Yes this little lens is a classic. I would rate the quality up with any lens in this range I have used, including the Nikkor 24-70mm which cost 6 times the price. I originally purchased one with a G1 kit, sold the kit later in favour of the GH1, and purchased another 14-45mm as I missed the quality. Two lenses without which I would not have the GH1 and GH2 cameras, this one and the Lumix 7-14mm. They are quality.

Phil

One from the G1 days. G1, f/9 @ 23 mm, 1/500, ISO 200