The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Oly m4/3 coming soon

vincechu

In my opinion, i think the E-PL1 is a great idea - olympus will definately gain market share with it, it seems likes Olympus has really got a good mix of features at a great price. In terms of m4/3rds I think this camera is going to heat up the competition between Oly + Pana, this camera has HD video, in body IS and flash for less than the price of the GF1 so it'll be interesting to see how Panasonic will respond.

I'm very interested in buying one, but I'm going to wait a short while for reviews and comparisons with the E-P2 and GF1, and also to see if Panasonic will announce any new cameras.

kwalsh

Did you notice in the DPR preview that the included 14-42 is "cheaper" than the normal 14-42? They indicate it has a plastic lens mount - somehow I'm guessing that piece of metal isn't that expensive and perhaps there are other cost reductions as well...

Probably a good move, seems like for their target market many users might not ever remove the lens, or at least it would be a rare occurrence. Canon has a bunch of plastic mount lenses that are pretty darn good performers - so maybe this version of the 14-42 won't be that different IQ wise from the original.

Diane B

In reading the E-P1L review this morning at dpreview, seeing that they say experienced people that like to take control of the shooting parameters (without control dials and all button pushing) will be frustrated gives one an understanding of why this camera and who will likely buy it--at least for me.

Terry did make the point, though, that if you shoot primarily in A mode it might not be all that frustrating.

Diane

Last edited:

Terry

Diane -
I will clarify my comment. A mode with legacy lens looks good. With m4/3 and no aperture ring it does become a button push exercise.

Diane B

Diane -
I will clarify my comment. A mode with legacy lens looks good. With m4/3 and no aperture ring it does become a button push exercise.
Thanks for that clarification. Not having shot with any of the Pens (except very briefly last Spring when I ended up buying the 17 f/2.8--and not the camera), I really have no experience with their buttons and menus. This def. is not the camera for me but its still interesting to see how they spec-ed it.

Diane

Howard

Based on the posts in this thread, it does not appear as if Olympus introduced this new camera for those that contribute to this forum--it is not the market it is intended for. Their goal is capture the move-up market from P&S, that generally use A mode and have no use for many or any manual functions. The camera is an automatic P&S with a large sensor and the capability to use different lens. I expect that at the price point indicated, the higher priced small sensor P&S may soon be under pressure.

Diane B

There's an interesting post on dpreview about a hands on --and it refers to sliders to set blurred background or sharper.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=34432082 That's rather like the 'P/record' function on the GF1 where instead of being able to set aperture for video, you use a dial to choose blurred to smooth to let the camera make the decision on aperture for blurred background to sharp bacground (they call it peripheral focus). Hate it LOL--I just use manual focus lenses for the small amount of video I do. I'm guessing this is primarily for those new to using actual settings for this.

Diane

lambert

The point I was making is that from a shooting/IQ perspective the EPL1 can pretty much do it all. EVF is available. Stereo sound is also available. It also has in-built flash and other niceties that are lacking on the EP2. Early reports indicate that the build of the EPL1 is solid. And DPREVIEW even claim that the EPL1 has the advantage of a lighter low-pass filter = higher IQ.

So other than aesthetics, there's no pressing reason to pay a premium for the EP2. You certainly won't capture better images/video.

>IMO, the EPL1 is a terrific buy. Other than vanity, there's no reason to choose an EP2.

You call the EVF just being vanity? This and the stereo sound would be my reasons to use the E-P2.

Rawfa

I was hoping for a new sensor with more dynamic range and a faster AF system...this release turned out to be a real "PEN in a**" ;-)

DHart

This is an intriguing and very appealing camera.

Not to the point where I would stray from the GF-1 for myself, but this would be perfect for my wife as a step up from the ZS3 (which we both love, for what it is). In fact we had just this weekend been talking about perhaps getting a GF-1 for her. With this announcement, I see the EPL1 as an even better option for her, especially considering price!

The EPL1 looks like a very attractive, nicely sized, decently priced, excellent IQ camera for the person who needs P&S simplicity with options for more advanced capabilities, when desired. There are a lot of image makers for whom this would be great. I think it will sell well and one will probably find its way into our household. ;)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The EPL1 can use the evf as well.

I missed that. Now only stereo sound is only missing.

PeterB666

>The EPL1 can use the evf as well.

I missed that. Now only stereo sound is only missing.
The stereo sound is there too. All you have to do is plug in the optional SEMA-1 adapter which comes with a stereo microphone and cord. Suggested selling price is $89 in the US.

This adapter has a standard 3.5mm stereo mini jack and built in pre-amplifier so you can plug in a half-decent directional mic or boom mic.

ustein

Contributing Editor
The stereo sound is there too. All you have to do is plug in the optional SEMA-1 adapter which comes with a stereo microphone and cord. Suggested selling price is $89 in the US.

This adapter has a standard 3.5mm stereo mini jack and built in pre-amplifier so you can plug in a half-decent directional mic or boom mic.
Right and then you have no EVF or am I missing something?

I only mention this actually because the E-P1 recording is not that bat in stereo.

Brian Mosley

I like the fact that Olympus are putting their best possible IQ out with each camera release... regardless of where the camera is positioned.

This could be a great grunge cam for street work with legacy lenses... maybe it will blend... right in!

Cheers

Brian

Michiel Schierbeek

Springtime is coming and Olympus will ....blend and blossom on.
Looks better then the other EP's, sorry is that the screen is smaller.
Still no reason to upgrade from the G1 for me.

Michiel

Brian Mosley

A surprising limitation... only 1/2000 sec maximum shutter speed.

I wonder if it uses the same shutter as the E-P1/2?

Cheers

Brian