The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Finally shot a low light concert with the GF1

You can view a gallery of the photos here:
http://austinist.com/2010/02/01/snapshots_girls_the_parish.php

The venue recently had new LED lights installed so I decided to give it a try with the GF1. I was able to shoot at 800 and 1600 ISO and other than some trouble with blown magentas and blues (LEDs are tough to shoot), I'm pleased with the results. A friend was shooting right next to me with her 5D mk II and I don't know that hers were any better (in terms of overall IQ).

For those that are interested, I shot most of these with the 20mm 1.7, a few with the 17mm 2.8 and the EVF. Since I usually haul around the 5D and a couple big lenses, it was nice to have just the GF1 around my neck and the spare lens in my shirt pocket.

Chad

Last edited:
T

TithGlilm

The guy needs to use a better lens, use good light, low ISO, and a tripod. Then, we talk again.

Thanks Robert. While I'm at it, here are some outtakes from the fashion shoot I did for Austin Monthly. The first and the last images were actually shot with the GF1 and the 17mm.

These were printed on Instax film...

photoSmart42

Very nice! I especially like the B&W ones showing the grain toward the end - seems to match what I imagine the atmosphere of the venue was like.

Chad,

Your first problem is that terrible web site with all that glaring white around your images.

Some of them look terribly flat. Maybe they are not - but it's hard to tell here. About a week ago someone posted a few shots from a folk singer concert. They were really punchy.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13302&highlight=willy

I am not claiming these are fantastic shots, but they would look far less striking on a white page:-

http://www.tonygamble.org/Swan Song Prodn/index.htm

Any help?

Tony

Chad,

Your first problem is that terrible web site with all that glaring white around your images.

Some of them look terribly flat. Maybe they are not - but it's hard to tell here. About a week ago someone posted a few shots from a folk singer concert. They were really punchy.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13302&highlight=willy

I am not claiming these are fantastic shots, but they would look far less striking on a white page:-

Any help?

Tony
Thanks for your insight Tony. I wasn't aware I "had a problem" or that the images were "terribly flat". I was just making a visual point that the GF1 can hold its own in what many think is a challenging environment.

This shoot was more of a proof of concept that the GF1 could get the job done in a pinch and regardless of some people's input, I'm confident it did and can.

Chad,

Any help?

Tony
Tony,

After viewing your images, I now see why you might think mine are flat. I also think the border has nothing to do with the effect. You may well have an uncalibrated monitor as many of your otherwise fine theater shots suffer from significant blown highlights - giving them a very high contrast (or punch).

Jim's photos of Willie Nelson (an American country music legend) also suffered a few minor blown highlights and that is no criticism of Jim's work, which I admire greatly. The fact is shooting a dark stage with points of high intensity light make for a real challenge.

This was one of the areas that I felt the GF1 performed admirably in, although about halfway through the show I did switch to spot metering for even more control.

If you enjoy blown highlights then by no means should any of this be a criticism but if you do not, then you may want to ensure that your monitor is properly calibrated when editing your images.

Chad

Chad,

My monitor is calibrated.

With regard to the wide white borders - try placing a two pieces of black card at the left and right of your images. I find it enhances them considerably. That is my point.

Tony

If you notice, my images are black bordered, but the slideshow is placed on a white website. You are confusing the white website with the border. Simply shrink your browser to cover the white and low and behold, black borders!

OK, Chad,

It is not your slideshow that is problematic - it is that site where you are being displayed. To see images in their intended form you have to "simply shrink the browser".

Over on the Bibble forum we are discussing the same subject, i.e. whether images to be printed on white paper should be manipulated within a black frame. The consensus is that it does create problems. They look more zappy within the frame than they do when they get on to their white paper. Nothing to do with calibrating a screen - all to do with the way the human eye reacts.

Tony

pollobarca

Nice pictures Chad. the GF1 does it nicely but the geyser pointing the camera has done a great job .

I keep trying to do live performance pix and my last ones (not with a 4/3 camera) were pretty poor due to the low lighting. I think even the best cameras and lenses were struggling at that show , Marcus miller seemed to keep the light low to stop photography!
Live performance is a very difficult subject. Light is low at the best lit shows,no tripod (although I have seen one photographer at the blue note using a monopod) and the whole show keeps on moving suddenly and unexpectedly.Well what I see does anyway!
With all the difficulties there are ,your work here is very nice. Although I would prefer to see it on Flickr with exif data!

all the best

paul