The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Butterflies

T

tripper

Taken with my G1 and the Leica 45mm macro, all at f/3.2 iso200

1. I was pleased to capture the motion blur on the wings.

2. Missed focus on the head :thumbdown: damm !.

3. Prepare for take off.

4. Butterfly sex

5. Glasswing

tripper

Diane B

All very nice--but that first is really interesting visually to me because you caught the body very in focus but the wings beating with that slower shutter. Were these taken in a butterfly house? Not sure where you live--its a long time until we see butterflies here LOL.

I have the 45 but really have had few opportunities to shoot much seriously.

Diane

scho

Very nice butterfly shots. I had the same question as Diane about where you shot these and also if you used a tripod.

T

tripper

Thanks Diane and Carl,
I am in the UK and these are not native butterflies and were taken in a butterfly house (not a very good one) Diane, I'm not sure how I got that 1st shot ? purely luck I assure you.
Carl, these were all handheld, a tripod is not really practical in a butterfly house, even if you have no other people to impede with the tripod the butterflies just do not stay still long enough.

tripper

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Those are excellent . I shot some butterflies with a zeiss 100/2 @5.6 on a D3X and it interesting that the DOF appears very similar to your G1 and the Leica at 3.2 . Nailing the exact point of focus to build your composition is harder than it looks and these are excellent examples .

vincechu

Wow excellent photos, number 1 is my favourite - the motion blur makes it really special.

I really love the sharpness and bokeh that the Pana-leica 45mm has - your photos remind me why it's next on my to buy list :)