The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your "Focus is Overrated" shots - No Bokeh

Ok, just to keep things fresh and exciting around here, I'm proposing a new photo thread for purposeful OOF images, no Bokeh though. These images should be more about composition, space, color, mood, etc. Anyone else up?

Could be a nice exercise or maybe a recipe for photo disaster - who knows...

List camera and lens please.

I'm setting the bar low with this first one.

GF1/Contax 85mm 1.4

m3photo

Shopper

Purposeful out-of-focus? That's me! Can't take "proper" images anymore ...:D

G1+Kit Lens at 45mm - 1/60s f/5.6 ISO160

helenhill

Moi / collapsible cron, M4.neopan1600
Soft . slight OOF. No Bokeh so to speak
please click on to make BIGGER

Last edited:

helenhill

M6ttl,1966 50mm lux,neopan1600...
Soft, slight OOF,no Bokeh so to speak

click on to make BIGGER

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Ok, just to keep things fresh and exciting around here, I'm proposing a new photo thread for purposeful OOF images, no Bokeh though. These images should be more about composition, space, color, mood, etc. Anyone else up?

Could be a nice exercise or maybe a recipe for photo disaster - who knows...

List camera and lens please.

I'm setting the bar low with this first one.

GF1/Contax 85mm 1.4

Sounds like you haven't been to the Bokeh thread for quite a while :)

Keith

m3photo

Re: Bokeh Rule

Which bokeh rule did he break?
As I understand it, he implied that the images posted on this thread be out-of-focus but not blatantly obvious in the bokeh department. I thought I could get away with it by complying with the other requirements such as being purposefully out-of-focus with the subject in mind, but it seems I didn't make the grade, snif! :cry: :D

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Re: Bokeh Rule

As I understand it, he implied that the images posted on this thread be out-of-focus but not blatantly obvious in the bokeh department. I thought I could get away with it by complying with the other requirements such as being purposefully out-of-focus with the subject in mind, but it seems I didn't make the grade, snif! :cry: :D
He said you broke a rule - I couldn't understand that. But thanks for the explanation

Keith

Guys! That was meant to be a very lighthearted scalding :)

The general idea here is OOF but no Bokeh (out of focus points of light - generally blurred highlights). Sometimes Bokeh is used as a catch all for anything out of focus but I'm referring here to the second part of its definition.

From wiki: In photography, bokeh is the blur,[1][2] or the aesthetic quality of the blur,[3][4][5] in out-of-focus areas of an image, or "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light."[6]

ggibson

Taken yesterday while I was out with my Cosmicar 25mm c-mount lens. I need to modify the mount a bit because at the moment, it only focuses about 5 feet away max. Didn't want to overcrowd this guy playing on the street while I was taking his picture...