The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ken Peillard and Leica help.

Rawfa

I'm visiting my parents in Portugal and my grandfather just gave me "a bunch of old lenses"...it turns out it's 3 leicas and 3 kern paillards.
I've never handled either type of lens so I'm looking for a little assistance.

The leicas:
1- They seem to have some sort of a nob that i don't know what it's for. I can set the aperture fine but I cannot get the focus ring to move.
2 - Which type of adapter should I be looking for to us these lenses on a micro 4/3?

The kern paillards:
1 - I just want to know if there's any adapter for these to use them on a micro 4/3. They are incredibly small and super portable.
2 - Did anyone ever test this type of lens? Is it any good with micro 4/3?

I'll post some picts in a sec to make thins a little clearer.

Last edited:
D

duckrider

Congratulation to Your fine lenses Rawfa!

That knob ist for fixiing the distance setting to endless(?) distance. press theat knob, than You can change distance.

Adapter for mFT? Buye the cheapest from China, it will work!
Same for Your Kern lens: orde a c-mount adapter, but don't hope for too much succes taking pics with c-mount lenses ;)

kind regards
Thomas

Rawfa

Thanks for the prompt response, Thomas. Yeah, I've read all the horror stories with the C-Mounts (but I was doing some research and there's a website that says these are D-Mounts...).
As for the leicas is the mount m42 the one I should be looking for while looking for the adapter?

Jonas

Looking at the Switar lenses i suspect the are D-mount lenses. If so they are made for 8mm film and can't be used with our µ4/3 cameras.

Leica rangefinder lenses are either LTM (39mm thread mount Leica Thread Mount) or bayonet type called M-mount.

The above is to the best of my knowledge and from the images I would say you need an Leica M-> µ4/3 adapter. The Leica in the image, is it an M3?

/Jonas

ggibson

Yeah, those Kerns look too small to be C mounts.

From your last image, it looks like the Leicas are M mounts. That 50mm Summicron will be a fun portrait lens =)

Y.B.Hudson III

The knob on the Leica lens is an infinity lock. Depress it to release and focus the lens. There is a possiblity that the grease has dried up...in which case a drop of lighter fluid will free up the focus; in which case it needs a CLA.