The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small compact case for GF1 + 14-45mm

harry66

Hi people,
I got great advice when I asked about choice of flash so I thought I would ask for some...

I loved my Slingshot 100AW for my D80 + lens + flash kit - it just about held everything perfectly.

Now I need a small case that just about holds the DF1 + 14-45mm lens attached.

I will carrying on using my 100AW for when I take the GF1 + flash (FL-36r) + 20mm + 14-45m - unless some can recommend something even more appropriate!

Thanks again! :thumbup:

harry66

Re: Small compact case for GF1 + 14-140mm

Decided to sell the 14-45mm lens and go for a 14-140mm instead.
(think I used my Nikon 18-200mm vr for too long and the idea a limited zoom range does not sit right in my head).

So can anyone recommend a snug fitting case for a GF1 and 14-140mm case?

Thanks!

A

alanwf

Optech makes a series of small neoprene cases that fit fine. I ended up getting one thats a bit wider than I needed for the GF1, but it lets me put in the 14-140 with the LVF (tight fit though, but it is stretchable). They are about to release some new, more specific models:

http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=32&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=545

I may end up with one of those for when the 20 is on. But even the larger one that I have sort of crushes into itself so it doesn't take up that much room in my bag.

harry66

Update for anyone in a similar boat...

After settling on the TLZ 10 for the GF1+14-140mm, I still wanted a case to hold the GF1 + 20mm + 14-140mm and a spare battery.

After trying a few in the local Jessops I settled on the Lowe Pro Apex 110AW - takes the GF1 + 20mm attached and 14-140mm in its soft case. I can also squeeze in a spare battery and a filter case. All bit of a squeeze but does fit.
If you need a bit more room then the Lowe Pro Edit 120 may be a better option. Has a few extra cm of breathing room and also some external pockets.

During my search I found a post on another forum where someone recommended a Rezo 50 (with a bit of internal surgery) would be a good fit for a GF1 + 20mm. I tried this and didnt find it a good solution - it is a incredibly tight fit and I was concerned about scratching the GF1 after repeated insertion and removal from the case. A much better option for the GF1 + 20mm is the Lowe Pro Lens Case N1 - a comfortable fit and well padded.

PeterB666

I am using the Rezo 50 with my Olympus E-P1 and it is a loose fit with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and a tight (but reasonable) fit with the 14-42 Olympus zoom.

Note that when the E-P1 and 20mm Panny are in there, there is pleny of room for my leather wrist strap to wrap around the base (or stick out between the zippers as a carry handle) and I also fit a lens hood from a Olympus OM 28mm lens with stepping ring attached & small lens cleaning cloth in the front pocket.

My small carry all bag (internally it is quite big being surprisingly high) is a Lowepro Express Messenger. This will fit almost as much as I can stuff in my big bag (a Kata 465 backpack) but the padding is thin so I tend to have the camera in its Rezo 50 and the lenses within their pouches etc.

I take my Experss Messenger when I am going to shoot a specific subject and am only taking 1 or 2 other lenses, Cokin filters and cleaning gear. The only real downside to this bag is that it needs to have a separate compartment for my drink bottle as I am concerned about condensation if it is too near my gear.

The Kata has a separate top compartment for stuff like that even though it isn't 100% isolated (gaps in the corners of the compartment base).

mark1958

I also use the APex 110AW as well for these two lenses and GF1. I also have the APEX 100 which works for the camera and lens attached alone nothing else inside. When i carry all my 4/3 gear I use the Domke FX10

Update for anyone in a similar boat...

After settling on the TLZ 10 for the GF1+14-140mm, I still wanted a case to hold the GF1 + 20mm + 14-140mm and a spare battery.

After trying a few in the local Jessops I settled on the Lowe Pro Apex 110AW - takes the GF1 + 20mm attached and 14-140mm in its soft case. I can also squeeze in a spare battery and a filter case. All bit of a squeeze but does fit.
If you need a bit more room then the Lowe Pro Edit 120 may be a better option. Has a few extra cm of breathing room and also some external pockets.

During my search I found a post on another forum where someone recommended a Rezo 50 (with a bit of internal surgery) would be a good fit for a GF1 + 20mm. I tried this and didnt find it a good solution - it is a incredibly tight fit and I was concerned about scratching the GF1 after repeated insertion and removal from the case. A much better option for the GF1 + 20mm is the Lowe Pro Lens Case N1 - a comfortable fit and well padded.