The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 135mm Takumar - good lens with GF1?

DHart

I considering picking up my first legacy glass for use with my GF1:

-Pentax Takumar 135mm f/2.8 (K- mount)

or

-Pentax SMC Takumar 135mm f/3.5 (M42 screw mount)

Can anyone advise on the IQ one might expect with either of these lenses?

Also, might a lens such as this be a bit too heavy hanging off the mount of a GF1 when the camera body is mounted on a tripod? (I don't think the lens has a mounting collar.)

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

CPWarner

I have been using a Canon FD 135mm f/2.8. It is 395g (0.9 lb) and 78mm length (3") x 63mm (2.5"). I have not found that to be too heavy. It handles very well for something equivalent to a 270mm f/2.8 in 35mm terms. I have shot with it on a tripod and am not concerned with the weight. however, I would not want to go much larger with out a tripod color on the GF1. I am still learning how to shoot effectively with it on my GF1, and will be buying the add on viewfinder as I do not like shooting with a telephoto with the screen on the back of the camera. Also, the Olympus OM 135mm f/2.8 has almost identical specs to the Canon FD, but commands a much higher price. I am not sure which one has better optics.

I have the SMC 135/3.5. It's a wonderful lens on the Pentax body. Can't say I've used it on my GF1 (even though I have the adapter).

DHart

I have been circling around the idea of getting some legacy glass for my GF1 for some time now and it sounds like a fairly quick 135 (270 eq.) would be a very nice option with the GF1. Whether Canon, Olympus, or Pentax 135mm... I'm still kicking around. Thanks for the input.

I had, for a time, dismissed the Lumix 45-200, but it continues to compete with the legacy 135mm f.2.8/3.5 options for my interest. Though there is a significant speed difference, and therefore selective focus difference, the OIS, auto-focus, and greater reach advantages of the 45-200 *might* win out... hmmmmmmmm... this is a tough call for me at the moment.

Godfrey

I've got the Pentax SMC Takumar 135mm f/3.5 ... It's now my longest lens. I use it in conjunction with the EC14 on the G1 as well. It's a very nice performer overall, with minimal CA and virtually no rectilinear distortion.

I've used it on a tripod often (for this long a focal length, it's really needed) and it works well. I see no sign that it strains the lens mount.

CPWarner

I have been circling around the idea of getting some legacy glass for my GF1 for some time now and it sounds like a fairly quick 135 (270 eq.) would be a very nice option with the GF1. Whether Canon, Olympus, or Pentax 135mm... I'm still kicking around. Thanks for the input.

I had, for a time, dismissed the Lumix 45-200, but it continues to compete with the legacy 135mm f.2.8/3.5 options for my interest. Though there is a significant speed difference, and therefore selective focus difference, the OIS, auto-focus, and greater reach advantages of the 45-200 *might* win out... hmmmmmmmm... this is a tough call for me at the moment.
I thought about the 45-200, but the Panasonic 100-300 sounds even more interesting. That is what led me to grab a 135 f/2.8 Canon FD. It works quite well, but difficult to shoot without the LVF on the GF1 or a tripod.