The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

next step in the m4/3 war?

Michiel Schierbeek

Ok ... the Tontu just asked me how high it should bounce and why you don't want a wrist strap so you don't drop it in the first place...
Yes and tell Tontu I want a thinner L1 style strong body, to be able to carry heavier lenses as well.
- Artculating screen.
- Soft electronic shutter.
- Dedicated MF magnification button.
- New high ISO sensor
- Fast primes
- High reaching flash

In case they forgot any of these wishes try to get them implemented before the 18th. :D

And from Olympus same sort of body, or E-330 style, and specifications but with IS for longer MF lenses.

Thank you.
Michiel

V

Vivek

The pseudo DSLR looks brought about by the "hump"- I find it really useful functionally.

I would rather have that than the martian design X1 pop up.

The question of "fast primes" (fast aperture as well as fast focusing) still remains.

Slow zooms make me :sleep006:

Diane B

I haven't minded the pseudo DSLR look really--the EVF has been in the place I'm used to, the grip works very well for me. I have to check out the 'martian design X1 pop up' though LOL.

I think the GF1 is perhaps a more attractive design (but that rather comes from our past associations with particular camera designs I think), but it doesn't work quite as well ergonomically for me--the grip is less, the EVF is an addon (though mine is always on), no tilt LCD. As a plus--I like the tiltability of the EVF.

That being said--I'd really like more of an L1 design, but likely still won't upgrade for awhile unless there are actual upgrades that affect my shooting/IQ fairly substantially.

Diane

photoSmart42

I like everything about my G1/GH1 in terms of form factor. The only changes I'd really want are:

1. Better selection of fast primes in a wide range of FLs to complement the 20/1.7
2. Improves sensor with increased dynamic range and reduced noise
3. Shutter-less operation that would allow using an even wider range of non-standard lenses (2/3" high megapixel video lenses for example).

I really like the hump on the camera to house the EVF, microphone, and flash. Keep the humpless design for the GF1/EP-x crowd. I also like the grip - it's very handy for tall people with long fingers.

Godfrey

OK then, I want a new version of the LC1/Diglux 2 body with:

1)current EVF technology
2)same bounce flash
3)interchangeable lenses - even though the original was stellar but for wrong sensor size
Yer singin' my tune. All about the body: start here:

- Fit it with the G1 EVF
- use the current or an improved 12Mpixel sensor with an mFT lens mount
- Add the articulated LCD
- Add the face detect AF, viewfinder overlays and other niceties
- If you add the GH1's HD recording, also add a dedicated microphone jack in and sync signal.
- Build it of magnesium.
- weather seal it.
- Keep the same battery as G1/GH1/GF1.

Oh yes, long as we're doing the wish-list thing ...

- add wireless remote shutter operation (front and rear receivers if IR)
- add Olympus-dedicated wireless flash control
- add the ability to turn off pre-flash TTL with the internal flash unit

The only lens I'll need beyond what's shipping or announced as coming soon already is a fast 70-80 mm OIS lens. It's hard to believe that no 70mm f/2 lens has been offered as yet for either FourThirds or Micro-FourThirds: it's one of the most useful tele focal lengths imaginable for the format. I bought the ZD 50/2 Macro and use it with the EC14 on my SLRs, and have the Olympus Pen F 70/2 for the G1, because this field of view in a compact yet fast lens is so important to me.

Michiel Schierbeek

The G1 and GH1 are very good and revolutionary ( exept in design ) cameras and I must admit they are ergonomicly quiet nice, except the space for your fingers around the grip, especially with longer nails. :D
And the space for the knobs is a little small because of the lovely swivel LCD.
As long the hump is functional, to house the EVF and flash, it doesn't bother me, but a somehow straighter design, I hope for.

Michiel

madmaxmedia

Here is my guess-

1. Smoothed out body that will be closer to the L1, with built-in EVF. It might still have a hump and grip, but more streamlined (and better looking.)

2. Comparable video features to the GF1, probably the same sensor too but new Venus engine or whatever.

3. Roughly same price as original G1 MSRP.

So basically, a much better looking (not that I think the G1 is ugly) G1 with video. Seriously, I think that's it, and it will sell very well and fit right alongside GF1 and GH1. Any more features (such as better video, newfangled shutterless sensor, etc.) and it will overlap with other Panasonic cameras (which won't be updated for a little while.)