The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sell my Nikon gear and full steam ahead on 4/3

Thanks Tullio,

I am new to this 4/3 group.

I'm a Canon 5d user who now tends to leave it at home and use his wife's Ricoh GRD2 more and more frequently.

Tony

DHart

exactly the perfect person for micro 4/3 :)

5D image quality in a compact package!
well, I wouldn't go that far... pellicle I know you're not a fanboy... I don't see the m4/3 replacing the 5D just yet... give them some time to work up to that! ;) Then the 5DII.

I do see lots of great opportunity to have a m4/3 system co-existing right along with a full blown 5D/5DII system... each to it's own "specialties". We're really going to need better high ISO capability and numerous fast, full auto lenses in the m4/3 camp. Checking back in on this three years from now should really be fun!

pellicle

well, I wouldn't go that far... pellicle I know you're not a fanboy... I don't see the m4/3 replacing the 5D just yet... give them some time to work up to that! ;) Then the 5DII.
sorry, my post was unclear ... I was meaning if you buy a 5D with the only reason being "I want a high IQ camera" but don't do anything more than "general photography" stuff (like many many people who buy cameras)

You know, the occasional bit of nice scenery, shots over the dinner table, pictures of your holiday ... but you're cheezed off with the 10Megapixel pocket blotchy stuff you get in the supermarket for $199

GF and E-Px are plain perfect for that ... heck I do a fair amount of that too, and its why I bought my G1

So, Tony, if I sounded condescending I really really wasn't meaning to be.

DHart

pellicle... I got cha. Yes, the 5D is definitely un-necessary for a great amount of photography that is done. For many, many shooters, a good m4/3 system will do the job very nicely indeed. And for other shooters, a 5D system is indispensable for some, but not all applications.

"So, Tony, if I sounded condescending I really really wasn't meaning to be."

Not in the least. I suppose it so often boils down to that useful shot that the 5d produced and something a 4/3 would miss. IMHO it is access, or no access, to high ISO that is most often the breaker. If only someone would see the merit of a 5 meg chip with ability to shoot at 3200 ISO. I'd buy it.

Sorry I am moving OT.

Tony

V

Vivek

Why should one relate lower pixel count to high ISO quality, is beyond me.

Yesteryears Nikon D1 with huge pixels should still be in the market if that were the case, and not the current Nikon D3s.

pellicle

IMHO it is access, or no access, to high ISO that is most often the breaker. If only someone would see the merit of a 5 meg chip with ability to shoot at 3200 ISO. I'd buy it.

Sorry I am moving OT.
actually its interesting how often that becomes the topic ... once people move past "more megapixels" (if they move past that) it comes back time and again as being the evolutionary path people want. (well that and better dynamic range)

while we're drifting here, I'd love something the size of a Pentax 110 SLR (which is the same size as a 4/3 sensor in case noone knew) with a 6 megapixel sensor and the dynamic capture of colour negative.

in case you don't know the 110

I'd take that in 6MP with high ISO and dynamic range ... and it fits in a pocket

ok ... I'm a dreamer ... but my Walkman casette player shrank to a MP3 player so why not?

J

jerryk

While I really like my GF1, I can't envision it every replacing my 5DMK2 and 1DMK3, and associated lenses.

For me the GF1 is a carry with you everywhere, have with you all of the time camera. But compared to a DSLRs it is rather slow, get's noisy pretty quickly, and the IQ does not match up.

Jerry

pellicle

Jerry

... rather slow, get's noisy pretty quickly, and the IQ does not match up.
took a second read to make sure you weren't talking about our politicians but were indeed on about the GF1

:cool:

sorry, was just reading about politics

Last edited: