The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Xenon 25mm 0.95 cctv

H

haightsf

I am thinking about buying Schneider Xenon 25mm 0.95 cctv from B&H. I want to make sure if it fits micro 4/3 camera without modification and focus to infinity before buying since this is not returnable. My attraction to this lens is the size, the fact that is brand new, and the reputation of the brand. I wonder if cine xenon is sharper than cctv xenon. Angenieux seems to be very popular but it' more expensive used. Any advice will be appreciated.

RichA

I am thinking about buying Schneider Xenon 25mm 0.95 cctv from B&H. I want to make sure if it fits micro 4/3 camera without modification and focus to infinity before buying since this is not returnable. My attraction to this lens is the size, the fact that is brand new, and the reputation of the brand. I wonder if cine xenon is sharper than cctv xenon. Angenieux seems to be very popular but it' more expensive used. Any advice will be appreciated.
It will fit the RJ adapter which has a 36mm wide recess (the lens back is 32mm). It will focus to infinity. Whether it's worth $2200 is your call.
I paid $150 for an older one, they seem to go on Ebay for around $300-$500.

apicius9

It will fit the RJ adapter which has a 36mm wide recess (the lens back is 32mm). It will focus to infinity. Whether it's worth $2200 is your call.
Hey, I'll be happy to sell you an Angenieux for slightly under $2000 ;) Sorry, no direct experience with this fast Schneider lens, but in general I am a big fan of the older cine lenses I have tried from them.

Stefan

H

haightsf

Hawkpeng adapters are designed to accomodate lenses with different size threads, right? He isn't listed on ebay. Does anyone know his site? The price for Schneider Xenon 25 mm f/0.95 C-Mount Lens for 1-Inch CCD is 1,214.50 on B&H right now. It was about $1050. until 2 days ago and that was the price I was considering. I saw Angenieux with slight haze sold over $1,300. on ebay. Is Angenieux supposed to be sharper than Xenon? Would a used Angenieux be a better choice than a brand new Xenon CCD? I also checked the cheaper Senko 25mm 0.95, which seems ok. I hope to find one 25/0.95 lens that is reliable and sharp with relatively reasonable price.
regards!

photoSmart42

Hawkpeng adapters are designed to accomodate lenses with different size threads, right?
No, it still only accommodates C-mount threads, but it has a variety of sunk diameters to allow more lenses to fit without machining. He probably designed it for some specific lenses in mind, so I'd guess some lenses would still require machining even with this adapter.

Here's the only link I've found for Hawk's adapters (Singapore eBay): hawks_factory

wiregen

Be careful the them. They're horrible. Customer service is a pain in the *** to deal with also. They shipped me the wrong product then after 4 weeks of waiting I finally got it. NOT WORTH IT.

wiregen

It doesnt mount on my RJ Camera c-mount adapter. I was under the assumption it did. I'm trying to return the lens...and again dealing with the customer service is a big pain.

V

Vivek

Wiregan, What was that "wrong" product you got first and why doesn't a Senko 25/0.95 does not mount on a RJ adapter? :confused:

I have reported here (loong time ago) on the Senko 25/0.95 (bought from a different source), with examples, using an RJ adapter.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
When I saw "the distortion is weird though and ****ty dark corners :p ", I knew I had to get it. I'll let you know how it goes :wtf: Sounds like my kind of lens.
The censor has ruined the word from the quote, but it rhymes with "bitty"

Keith

wiregen

Wiregan, What was that "wrong" product you got first and why doesn't a Senko 25/0.95 does not mount on a RJ adapter? :confused:

I have reported here (loong time ago) on the Senko 25/0.95 (bought from a different source), with examples, using an RJ adapter.
looking at other senko lenses, I think mine is a lot different than the ones you guys got. It looks like a black Angenieux

Here is the lens

As one can see, I can screw it all the way in, but I cant move the focusing ring since it's so tight.

This is a pic of it screwed all the way in.

The actual barrel clears the RJ mount, but the focusing ring rubs on the outside of the adapter. When it's in the min focusing distance I can screw it in otherwise I cannot.

Any help would be great. I want to keep the lens but, its unusable since I cant focusing with it :(

Y.B.Hudson III

Wiregen...that looks like the navitar variant... I'll take sum pics of mine...with instructions for modification* to fit. Is your camera a G1/Gh1 or a GF1.

* I assume no responsibility if you damage your own lens after reading this post :)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Wiregen...that looks like the navitar variant... I'll take sum pics of mine...with instructions for modification* to fit. Is your camera a G1/Gh1 or a GF1.

* I assume no responsibility if you damage your own lens after reading this post :)

Y.B.

Please do this, because I may be headed for the same problem :banghead:
I'm using a G1

Thanks
Keith

V

Vivek

looking at other senko lenses, I think mine is a lot different than the ones you guys got. It looks like a black Angenieux

As Hudson mentioned, it is a Navitar 25/0.95 (I have one of those as well). It is sharper at the center than the Senko and has a simple barrel distortion unlike the mustache of Senko.

It is also a faster lens (Senko is more like f/1.1).

I also have a Senko 25 that is marked f/0.85 with f scale starting with f/0.85. :bugeyes:

If I were you, I would keep it (modify it and use it). ;)