The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digiscoping with G1 and Swarovski Scope

R. Bowman

I recently started digiscoping with my Panasonic Lumix G1, the kit lens, and my Swarovski ST80 HD scope, using the Swarovski digital camera adapter and Swarovski 30xW eyepiece. There is some vignetting up to about 16mm and beyond 21mm or so, otherwise the combination works well. A sample is attached, shot at 18mm, f/4, 1/15 sec., ISO 400. I would guess the effective focal length is about 1000mm. I've ordered the 20mm 1.7 pancake lens which should be about ideal for this setup.

Last edited:

R. Bowman

Thanks hodad66, will do.

Funny, I'm shooting Canon FD with my G1 also: 24 f/2, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/1.2 L, 85 f/1.2 L, 100 f/2, 135 f.2, 300 f/4 L and 400 f/4.5, and still shooting some film now and then with an F1 or T90.

hodad66

Yea I'm shooting mostly with the legacy glass as I enjoy
the feel of manual focusing. If I need to shoot from ground
level then AF sure is nice.... :)

RichA

I recently started digiscoping with my Panasonic Lumix G1, the kit lens, and my Swarovski ST80 HD scope, using the Swarovski digital camera adapter and Swarovski 30xW eyepiece. There is some vignetting up to about 16mm and beyond 21mm or so, otherwise the combination works well. A sample is attached, shot at 18mm, f/4, 1/15 sec., ISO 400. I would guess the effective focal length is about 1000mm. I've ordered the 20mm 1.7 pancake lens which should be about ideal for this setup.
The real f-value would be about f12.5 with an 80mm objective diameter.

pellicle

Thanks hodad66, will do.

Funny, I'm shooting Canon FD with my G1 also: 24 f/2, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/1.2 L, 85 f/1.2 L, 100 f/2, 135 f.2, 300 f/4 L and 400 f/4.5, and still shooting some film now and then with an F1 or T90.
there's a few of us round :)

I quite like my 300f4

which is good for stuff like little birds:

since you have the FD 400 wouldn't that be optically better than your digi-scope setup? Or is the allure that you get AF working?

just wondering

R. Bowman

there's a few of us round :)

since you have the FD 400 wouldn't that be optically better than your digi-scope setup? Or is the allure that you get AF working?

just wondering
Much as I enjoy using my FD lenses, when I'm out birding with my spotting scope it's nice to photograph without carrying any additional hardware.

R. Bowman

More Digiscoping with G1 20mm Pancake and Swarovski Scope

Different bird, different day, different lens: the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. Shot wide open at 1/640 sec., ISO 400, otherwise the same setup, Swarovski ST80 HD scope and 30xW eyepiece.

The few mm of lens travel when focusing turns out not to be an issue, and not having to worry about the lens' zoom setting as with the kit lens is much more convenient. No vignetting with the 30xW fixed eyepiece, and none above 30x with the 20x-60x zoom eyepiece. It does require a 46-52 step-up ring to accommodate the Swarovski digital camera adapter.

R

Richard C56

Hi,

I have equally just started digiscoping using the Swarovski AT80HD with my panasonic G1 and am keen to use FD lenses - I am getting good images with the 28mm 2.8, the 35 - 70 and the 50mm 3.5 macro with no vignetting - I am considering purchasing a 50mm 1.4 SSC - you mention the 50mm 1.8 have you had good success with it with no vignetting ??

regards

Richard