The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If the GH1 is the upgraded G1, then...

DHart

will there be a G2 and a GH2? Or wouldn't the Gx line be terminal and the next iteration be the GH2 and so forth? (My understanding is that the GH1 is basically a G1 with video added and that's the main difference.)

In other words, would Panasonic would bring out a G2 and a GH2? Does that make any sense?

V

Vivek

No idea.

GH1 is not an upgraded G1, by any long shot, for still photography.

DHart

I think the GH1 and G1 are about the same for still images, aren't they? Isn't it just the video addition that makes a GH1 different than a G1?

This is why I was wondering why some people are talking about a G2 to follow the G1 and a GH2 to follow the GH1. It would seem to me that moving forward having these two models, differentiated only by ability to record video, wouldn't make much sense. Unless the G2 was MUCH less expensive than the GH2, most people would buy the GH2 instead of the G2. Or am I missing something?

pellicle

DHart

sensor is actually a different device. Not just the number of pixels but something different in the electronics too. Of course there is similar underlying technology, but stuff like analog signal processing, refresh rates and other nifty bits are apparently different. DXO bench marks them differently.

I have something in my mind that suggests that the GF is another bit of technology too... I recall that Pana makes their own sensors and the one in the GH1 ain't for sale to other camera companies

DHart

I'm so itching to add a GH1 to my GF1, for the articulating screen, better video, and viewfinder... trying to hold off for the GH2, but it appears as though that probably won't appear until the end of the year. I see a GH1 joining my GF1 before too long...