The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who needs 12 Mp ?

T

tripper

This was shot with the G1 and the Leica 45mm f2.8 macro f5.6 1/200s iso200.

Extra optical zoom small (sez = 3Mp) = 178mm @35mm.

'More Peanuts please'.

tripper

Last edited:

photoSmart42

Wow, nice! I have to admit I have yet to use the digital zoom feature on my GH1 (not even sure how to activate it actually). May be worth trying. 20x using the 14-140...

G

gme109

Wow, nice! I have to admit I have yet to use the digital zoom feature on my GH1 (not even sure how to activate it actually). May be worth trying. 20x using the 14-140...
He wasn't using the digital zoom, its called extra optical zoom or EZ. But it will not work when shooting raw, only small or medium jpeg mode. Its on page 48 in the G1 manual.

C

ChrisJ

Or you could just crop in post processing and still use Raw.

Chris

T

tripper

ChrisJ said

" Or you could just crop in post processing and still use Raw."

That is not a 'one size fits all solution' Chris. I doubt you could crop a 12Mp image by 50% and get this quality ?

I normally only shoot RAW and previously dismissed the 'Ex Op Zoom' facility without trying it but I now believe it is a viable option when you need to get in closer.

tripper

pellicle

ChrisJ said

" Or you could just crop in post processing and still use Raw."

That is not a 'one size fits all solution' Chris. I doubt you could crop a 12Mp image by 50% and get this quality ?
at the size I see on the screen, size why not?

how much do you think this was cropped?

V

Vivek

I would like 24 Mp.

If I crop that to 3 Mp, it will let me zoom even closer with more details.

T

tripper

pellicle asked " how much do you think this was cropped? "

Well, the only answer I have is 'too much', it has lost definition.

tripper

pellicle

pellicle asked " how much do you think this was cropped? "

Well, the only answer I have is 'too much', it has lost definition.

tripper
but how do you know? lost definition where? the down of duckling feathers will hardly register on any image. I also applied little sharpening to that yet the eye detail can be made out.

perhaps it wasn't cropped at all

my point was not a guessing game, but that with the resolution of the lenses and the nature of the subject that cropping to 50% of the image can go unnoticed on these cameras

Pelao

Hmmm

The final output medium could be relevant. If you like to print, as I do, resolution can become an issue. Images viewed on an average computer screen are much less demanding.

Good composition is still the starting point. Get this right and cropping is minimal. This also means that with more resolution and good composition you can make large, finely detailed prints.

T

tripper

Pelao said

" Images viewed on an average computer screen are much less demanding."

Yes of course Pelao, my post title was 'tongue-in-cheek' and deliberately a little provocative. I am not under the misapprehension that 3Mp suits all situations. :)

tripper

Pelao

Pelao said

" Images viewed on an average computer screen are much less demanding."

Yes of course Pelao, my post title was 'tongue-in-cheek' and deliberately a little provocative. I am not under the misapprehension that 3Mp suits all situations. :)

tripper
I was unable to spot either the tongue or the cheek, which is a reflection on my overtired state rather than your messaging.

Interesting topic though. I was re-watching a Luminous Landscape video journal in which Michael Reichmann was reviewing an early digital EOS with 4 MP, and showing off very impressive large scale prints. It's nice to have all that extra room to play, and of course higher sensor quality, but it emphasizes the importance of how over tool.

Your image is a case in point. Who wouldn't be happy to have made that photograph, regardless of technical details?

Bill Gordon

This was shot with the G1 and the Leica 45mm f2.8 macro f5.6 1/200s iso200.

Extra optical zoom small (sez = 3Mp) = 178mm @35mm.

'More Peanuts please'.

tripper
Just to get back to the basics, this is a gorgeous photo and I wish it were mine!!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You only need 2MP if you want to view an image full-frame on a 30" display -- and it will look great. And yes, you can shoot raw and crop to the same effect as digital zoom --- but the secret is in having to capture sharpen and process sharpen specifically for that crop, which I suspect Leica is performing by some algorithm when digital zoom is active in the camera.

Regardless, it is an excellent image no matter how you made it, and yes, nobody needs 12MP for web viewing :thumbs:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me 18MP in FT would be what I really need!

But 12MP are great as starting point. Hope in some further generations 18MP sensors will be available.

T

tripper

I Just want to say thank you for taking the time to comment on my picture, the comments and encouragement are much appreciated. :thumbs:

Bill Gordon said; " Just to get back to the basics, this is a gorgeous photo and I wish it were mine!!

That is a very kind thing to say Bill, :angel: an extra big Thank you to Bill.

tripper

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I Just want to say thank you for taking the time to comment on my picture, the comments and encouragement are much appreciated. :thumbs:

Bill Gordon said; " Just to get back to the basics, this is a gorgeous photo and I wish it were mine!!

That is a very kind thing to say Bill, :angel: an extra big Thank you to Bill.

tripper
To add don't let the gear stand between you and a great image. End of the day the image is what counts the gear is meaningless. I know when i go through my portfolio I always have the issue of dealing with a image that may have been extremely difficult to do technically or took extraordinary measures to get. End of the day the person hiring me for the next gig could care less what it took to do it or gear, it is the image itself that sells me. Very hard to edit your book without those emotions. Let the image speak for you , in the end that is all that counts.