The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noktor 50mm f0.95 micro 4/3

V

Vivek

I'm likely going to wish I'd stayed quiet but ...

I suspect they are all too often bought by people with no special purpose in mind

Sorry, if this puts you in a spot. Could you point to some examples?

pellicle

Sorry, if this puts you in a spot. Could you point to some examples?
nothing that in any relates to you and nothing I care to dig about for. Just an impression based on years of reading posts from people wanting a 0,95 or a 1,1 for cameras (not even restricted to 4/3)

V

Vivek

Well, different strokes for different people.

After seeing my Canon 50/0.95 samples (pics taken with the lens), a friend enquired about the lens and asked me to help him get one. I found one (~200 Euros) at a local shop. He got it converted (which was botched), I helped him get it fixed and checked it side by side with my own sample (it was fine).

Although he is an experienced photog, working with a super fast was not easy. It takes time and work figure out the nuances and use it for its strengths. The difficulty (the numbers lie) increases when when goes from f/1.4 to f/1.2 to f/1.1 to f/1 enormously, each step.

Most people give up without trying enough or before understanding what they are capable of.

One reason why some of the famed super fast lenses have been the most traded lenses in photography.

In my case, whether something works or not, everything goes into a place of non return. Me being an accumulator. :D

RichA

Rich, After the launch of the G1, 5 samples of the TV lenses (no mount) sold on eBay (UK) from one seller for ~ 55UKP/lens (buy it now).

In Hacker's thread I posted this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doo3/2956538939/in/set-72157608196915345/

The specs are the remarkably similar to the "Noktor".:)
But it does look good on the Leica, doesn't it? :)

But as a warning to people, c-mount stuff is going to skyrocket in price once one of the big two bring out compatible bodies. I bought a Navitar from a surplus dealer a while back for $10 and sold it for $250.00. The thing is, it's the German stuff that is commanding the really huge prices and frankly, the Japanese product is as good or better in most respects.

kevinparis

but it is no noctilux... you get what you pay for

get real... its a CCTV lens... not even a cinema lens

K
e-p1 with a real noctilux

K

Jonas

I think we see a Senko fever... I don't understand this really. There is a speed difference between the Voigtländer 50/1.1 and the Senko 50/0.95, sure (less than half a stop, and counting theoretical values only).

What I have seen from the Senko hasn't been that impressive and for IQ I would pick the Voigtländer. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the Voigtländer sells for less money.

V

Vivek

Neither of them is an Angenieux 25/0.95 (type M2) or a SOM Berthiot 25/0.95. ;)

Jonas

Neither of them is an Angenieux 25/0.95 (type M2) or a SOM Berthiot 25/0.95. ;)
Of course not. You would need to crop the image down to about 3MP to get the same FOV with those lenses... ;)

Really, what 50mm lens around f/1.0 would you consider better than the Voigtländer? Personally I'm fine with f/1.2 or f/1.4 but let's keep stick to around Senko speed.

V

Vivek

The 36mm f/1.1 (c-mount) I have is really f/1.1. No vignetting. Very soft wide open ("dreamy lens"). Missed out on two 35/0.95 lenses (Angenieux and Astro Berlin), so no idea about them.

The 50/0.95 (Canon) I have is fine for me. Low contrast lens as is the Noct/1.

I will take my $40/- Fujinon-TV 50/1.4 (52mm filter thread) over any of them.

I would also take my Olympus pen F 42/1.2. :)

hot

Thanx god, it's NO noctilux. $ 11.680 for laughing Leica-people ...

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Thanx god, it's NO noctilux. Where should I take money ... stealing? $ 11.680 for laughing Leica-people ...

You don't need to. You can continue using your TX7 until it dies. ;)

[That - lenses, faster lenses, wider lenses, longer lenses....- is a major problem with interchangeable lens cams.]

hot

Some people spend their money for [non existent] hypes :)

For +10.000% of price you get +5% "better" pictures, hehe ... if you firmly believe ;-)

Jonas

For +10.000% of price you get +5% "better" pictures, hehe ... if you firmly believe ;-)
Hot,

Don't you find some f/0.95 rolling around about the Senko lens?

The Noktor guys have updated their home site. The initial price seem to be USD 750. Still, too expensive compared to the Nokton. Maybe it's just me but I don't find anything nice at all in the Senko/Noktor samples.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Hot,

Don't you find some f/0.95 rolling around about the Senko lens?

The Noktor guys have updated their home site. The initial price seem to be USD 750. Still, too expensive compared to the Nokton. Maybe it's just me but I don't find anything nice at all in the Senko/Noktor samples.
It's not just you, Jonas, the samples are distinctly underwhelming. If I was in the market for an ultra-fast 50, I'd rather pay the extra USD 249 for the Voigtlander 50/1.1 Nokton. But I'm not, because I hate the 50mm focal length -- no matter what the format.

V

Vivek

In a hypothetical situation where you have 5 or 6 f/0.95 lenses to play with, you would know that just because a lens is superfast does not mean it has to provide images that look like objects inside a dirty pond.

Having a coke bottle superfast lens will be immensely frustrating, especially when you find out that it does not have to be that way at all.

If you want a cheap superfast doorstop, consider one of the Heligons and such. You can even buy an f/0.75 lens for very little cash. You can even use them as weapons in case of emergency. Almost all are very heavy (>1 Kg).