The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly E-P2 Test

RichA

yup..... E-P2 is nowhere nearly as ugly and plastic feeling as the G1 :)

K
I tried the E-P2 again tonight. The focusing is slow and annoying compared to the Panasonics, with the kit lens anyway. Hunt, hunt, back and forth to finally land in-focus. Terribly slow. I point my G1 into a darkened room, bang! It's in-focus without the use of the focus assist light. Since the last software upgrade, it's as quick or faster than my D300. Olympus and Panasonic have obviously taken different roads, as the technology between the two is not (apparently) shared. There is a difference in the 4/3rds consortium.

pellicle

Hi

I tried the E-P2 again tonight. The focusing is slow and annoying compared to the Panasonics, with the kit lens anyway.
Olympus and Panasonic have obviously taken different roads, as the technology between the two is not (apparently) shared. There is a difference in the 4/3rds consortium.
yes, I wonder if its related to the mass of the lens systems which need to be moved and the fact that Panasonic stop the lens to review contrast (aka focus) at a faster rate than Oly?

However I use myself as a bench mark, if the lens / camera system can focus faster than me then its good enough. I know we've come to rely on really hot AF systems (like the Canon EOS + ring motor USM lens) for stuff which we perhaps couldn't previously have done, but given the lack of precision we see in all AF systems (back focusing is the current flavour, but it goes back decades on rec.photo) perhaps we are trying to push the frontiers further simply with expectations?

I was watching the downhill skiing on the olympics and noting that (watching on TV and timing myself based on experience) even with 5 frames / sec I could really only get two shots off in a spot and have the skier at the feature I want ... and that is assuming my AF was tracking perfectly.

Doing an Indy back in 2003 on the Gold Coast I got my best stuff by prefocus on a part of the track and snapping one shot.

Last edited: