The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly E-P2 Test

dhsimmonds

The British Journal of Photography (BJP) has published a test report by Edmond Terakopian, award winning photojournalist of the Olympus E-P2 with several lenses. The report is in the current issue of BJP.

The lenses tested on assignment with the E-P2 body are: Leica 35mm Summicron, Olympus 17mm pancake, Olympus 14-42mm, Leica designed Panasonic 45mm F2.8 Macro at ISO500. The pictures look stunning at the sizes printed.

The E-P2 earned his high praise and his only real gripe was that RAW processing in some 3rd party converters struggle with both these and RAW files from the Panasonic G series due to the embedded lens correction data in the exif data.

He used Exif software "facefullof bees" to strip out this data so that he could use his favourite unspecifed converter. He did mention though that the JPEG's from this camera are also superb.

He particularly liked the EVF viewfinder attachment, anti-dust system and in camera stabilisation so that any lens fitted is also stabilised.

kevinparis

Dave

just as an aside - I am the "facefullofbees". I was put in touch with Edmond via our very own Jonoslack.... so apparently this whole social networking thing works :)

Indeed it was Edmond who encouraged me to make my simple Applescript based convertor available to the world at large.

Oh and I think you will find that Edmond is an Aperture user, and indeed seems to have been a beta tester

cheers

Kevin

pellicle

its nice to read, but I suspect that either Oly is better represented in the UK than Panasonic is or many jurno's are just plain dumb. Quite a few things mentioned in that article were already in place on the G1 (which sells for quite a bit less than the E-P2)

oh well ... :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
its nice to read, but I suspect that either Oly is better represented in the UK than Panasonic is or many jurno's are just plain dumb. Quite a few things mentioned in that article were already in place on the G1 (which sells for quite a bit less than the E-P2)

oh well ... :)
Well, but the G1 does not come even close to the EP2 in so many areas :D

photoSmart42

Difficult to compare two cameras that are aimed at completely different audiences. Both do their job very well. Apples and oranges.

Brian Mosley

In my best scouse accent...

Eh Eh... Carm down, carm down! :ROTFL:

What's one award winning photojournalist's opinion anyway?

Cheers

Brian

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Come on kids! No fighting!
My apologies, I wish I hadn't written that response. My hope was that responding to the first infantile and pointless post with an equally infantile and pointless post would nip that tangent in the bud. Color me equal shades of naive and optimistic.

Terry

I read this before and saw the "pointless and infantile" quotes and decided to leave it go and see if got out of hand....recognizing "pointless and infantile" is the first step towards recovery :D

kevinparis

hmmm... whatever happened to gentle joshing

infantile and pointless are pretty extreme descriptions of mild and good humored banter

lighten up everybody....we are all supposed to be friends here

K

kevinparis

more than likely..

I actually like pointless and infantile sometimes.... its usually what makes me smile.... up to the point that somebody calls it pointless and infantile... then I get angry that someone is spoiling my fun

peace out...

K

dhsimmonds

I didn't expect this thread to start this sort of controversy.:ROTFL:
I really didn't realise that I was entering the Pana G1 forum either.:rolleyes: Ah well, now I know. A bit like mentioning Sony on the Nikon forum I suppose.:D

T

terryc

Just to change the subject back to things E-P2, etc.

If you are an Aperture 3.0 user with a PEN digital you can convert the .ORF files to .DNG and work with them in Aperture 3.0. There are a few significant assumptions;

1. You have the very latest ACR plug-in on your Mac and the most recent version of Adobe Digital Negative Converter. In my case I have PhotoShop CS4 up to date on my Mac. Although PhotoShop is never invoked here - the Converter needs access to the lastest and greatest ACR plug-in.

2. Open Adobe DNG Convert app and go to Menu item 4 and click Change Preferences, top item is Compatibility and this MUST be set Custom which ensures linear (demosaiced) is turned-off. This step is critical.

The Adobe app will merrily convert all the .orf files to .DNG which can be imported directly into Aperture. I always ensure that I embed the original raw file for the future when Apple raw support the camera images I am converting to DNG. Of course this assumes you are willing to work with .DNG files. You can also automate or script this process for convenience purposes.

Cheers, Terry.