The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony joins in

monza

Concepts. That's even earlier than prototypes. :)

We have several people at PMA, I'll have them stop by and get some pics/info.

madmaxmedia

It will resemble the shipping product just as the original Olympus Pen prototype resembles the E-P1 (which is to say not much...)

Off the top of my head, the only real cameras that looks that minimalistic (I like it myself) are Ricoh ones.

lattiboy

Pretty psyched about the A700 replacement. To this day that's my favorite camera of all time.

The NEX models look..... eh. The backlit sensor could be interesting, but the cameras look very uncomfortable to use. Also, "concepts", so we won't see anything for many, many months or possibly a year.

Still, pretty awesome everybody is jumping on the EVIL bandwagon.

Terry

When I posted the original link, the models hadn't been shown. They certainly came across as being further along than they are.

It still really surprises me that Panasonic is completely silent at PMA. Perhaps they were waiting for Sony to make their announcements? I know that sounds far fetched but so is the silence.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>It still really surprises me that Panasonic is completely silent at PMA.

PMA is not anymore a key event to announce. Panasonic is in a god position because the models by other makers hardly beat their current models.

I hope the GH2 will have serious video improvements.

douglasf13

Since these are mockups of only the low end mirror-less cameras, the most interesting thing to me is the size of the mount. It looks like it is the same diameter as Alpha, which could mean fullframe someday.

R

raymondluo

I'd like to think that Olympus as it stands is Panasonic's own real competition. Sony, Canon and Nikon has their own DSLR line to push to the professional market and will likely continue to do so, having been so well developed into the industry, it's highly unlikely they will become serious mirror-less systems competitors anytime soon- Generally speaking.

Sony has it's mirror-less system as more of a novelty project (by my own opinion) for now.

Canon seems to have a plan with their DSLR full frame cameras however, with Zeiss Compact Primes (for Cinema) coming in canon mount. How this addresses mirror-less systems is in that the technology in itself breeds a viable and professional method of videography. (As we see in GH1, and the speculative GH2). Canon seems to intend to react to this by breeding more professional DSLR's and even more professional lens.

Nikon, I don't know. Doing nothing?

Panasonic on the other hand, has vested entirely into the system so a professional camera is more likely to come out from them first, as well as from Olympus since they were the ones that started 4/3. They will be the ones who will compel the other three companies to take the system more seriously. Especially with all the new technology their system can bring into the field.

dhsimmonds

The "FOCUS on Imaging" exhibition opens in two weeks at Birmingham NEC, UK so we shall see what Sony are announcing there.

Anyone else planning on going? I shall be there on Sunday the 7th March if anyone here wants to meet up and put a Face to the Avatar, so to speak!

The fighter/bomber will NOT be parked in the expensive car parks by the way!:ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Good news and bad news same time :)

While competition is always good, especially when we see Sony (and maybe later Canon) jumping on the mirrorless camera train, I fear that Sony does not take this one too serious (similar as Canon and Nikon will do).

Bad news is that Sony should do their homework in the Alpha FF DSLR line first I guess and bring the next generation of sensors with higher MP count, no AA filter and better DR. As should the others with their top end models. I have a bit the feeling that all these vendors are getting nervous about the latest success of Pana and Oly with the M43 system and the mirrorless concept of DSLR.

Nikon - well this company became so strange in their product to market behavior lately for me that I do not understand their real strategy - other than optimizing their business, which is of course a more than valid decision for them. But WRT innovations this company sucks in my opinion.

On the other side I do have high hopes in Sony, as they might bring some great Carl Zeiss glass for their new system, so that would mean a really interesting competition to Pana and Oly, which already have a lens lineup with great quality.

End of the day - some other new camera systems to choose from, which makes life not really easier, except one starts slowly ignoring all these hypes. Which I am kind of close to ;)

PS1: I miss any really great news during PMA 2010 so far and I fear that not much more will come :cool:

PS2: I am actually very happy with my Oly M43 system so far - but never say never again ......

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I don't think any of these (Sony, etc) take the mirrorless cams seriously.

Nike have already said they don't care about EVF (even if customers want it).:confused:

Good for Panasonic! :thumbs:

jonoslack

I don't think any of these (Sony, etc) take the mirrorless cams seriously.

Nike have already said they don't care about EVF (even if customers want it).:confused:

Good for Panasonic! :thumbs:
Hi Vivek
I hope you're flourishing

Do you remember when Olympus brought out the E300 (the first SLR with Live View). Dpreview called it:

A Solution looking for a Problem

I'm not sure whether we should care that much if NIKE aren't interested in EVF, but I'm absolutely certain that if it had been Nikon saying that they will have to eat their words . . . . soon!

(and that's however grumpy I've been about them).

all the best

kevinparis

well if you watch this you can see how really much of a mock up these things are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRK-DxE4CHA

watch at 1:06 when he removes the lens... he dosn't press the obvious lens release button, nor does he twist the lens

and the close up at 1:43 shows no camera/lens connectors and no sort of bayonet mechanism to lock the lens on

Maybe Sony are doing something clever... or these are really just mockups to get some news coverage

K