The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony joins in

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek
I hope you're flourishing

Do you remember when Olympus brought out the E300 (the first SLR with Live View). Dpreview called it:

A Solution looking for a Problem

I'm not sure whether we should care that much if NIKE aren't interested in EVF, but I'm absolutely certain that if it had been Nikon saying that they will have to eat their words . . . . soon!

(and that's however grumpy I've been about them).

all the best
Hi Jono,

I get confused by Nike and Nikon logos. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

As for the review outfit, you know how high an esteem I hold them at. :)

V

Vivek

Jono, It is Nikon, it seems.:ROTFL:

Mr. Tetsuro Goto: Currently, electronic viewfinders are not terrible. La résolution, la reproduction des couleurs, les dimensions les rendent assez inconfortables. The resolution, color reproduction, dimensions make them very uncomfortable. Les viseurs optiques sont largement supérieurs. The optical viewfinders are much higher. Mais bien sûr, nous étudions très attentivement ce domaine : les viseurs électroniques sont déjà meilleurs que les viseurs optiques dans certains domaines, comme le cadrage en basse lumière. But of course we are studying very carefully the field: electronic viewfinders are already better than optical viewfinders in some areas, like the framing in low light. Dans un futur proche, il est possible que nous intégrions des viseurs électroniques également, mais pour l'instant la qualité n'est pas encore là. In the near future, it is possible that we will also electronic viewfinders, but for now the quality is not there yet.
From here, googlified version of the French magazine interview:

http://translate.google.com/transla...s-numerique.com/news_id-1725.html&sl=fr&tl=en

jonoslack

Jono, It is Nikon, it seems.:ROTFL:
Ah - Vivek, thank you for the clarification :rolleyes:
The idea of an EVF in a pair of trainers was a little confusing (and anyway, it's been years since I was supple enough to get my eyes to that level).

ustein

Contributing Editor
Hi Vivek
I hope you're flourishing

Do you remember when Olympus brought out the E300 (the first SLR with Live View). Dpreview called it:

A Solution looking for a Problem
Thanks, I looked for this quote. No video without Live View. The Panasonic sensors are called LMOS (Live MOS as I understand) and this was a smart move.

Photomorgana

Oh my...
When I've read Sony's announcement and looked at their "prototype" only one thing comes to my mind - SONY is in desperation mode.

And quiet honestly they should be... They haven't done anything outstanding for a very long time. (R1 back in 2005 was the last Sony camera I looked at)

I think the days when Sony could strive just by playing it safe and spending their R&D budget on Marketing are gone.

Canon and Nikon are next... Its time to invest some money to R&D guys. Stop recycling those old AF lenses and digitalizing those old film bodies. Lets see somehting new, lets see innovation.

New EVF are right there with OVF already, AF will get improved and when curtain shutter will get replaced with electronic one lets say on E-P5 model, thats when Canikon will start to get worried (but it might be too late... :)

V

Vivek

The Panasonic sensors are called LMOS (Live MOS as I understand) and this was a smart move.

They are NMOS sensors (a variant of CMOS sensors). Olympus started to call them "Live MOS". The switch occurred after Kodak ditched Olympus.

V

Vivek

New EVF are right there with OVF already, AF will get improved and when curtain shutter will get replaced with electronic one lets say on E-P5 model, thats when Canikon will start to get worried (but it might be too late... :)

It is already late..

The question I have is, given their residency on the Alpha system, will we see Zeiss lenses on the new mirrorless Sony platform? Modern Contax G anyone?

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
The question I have is, given their residency on the Alpha system, will we see Zeiss lenses on the new mirrorless Sony platform? Modern Contax G anyone?
I hope so, Chad. For both our sakes, anyway, being the Zeiss fanatics that we are. :)
From DPreview:
In a wide-ranging interview, Mr Imamura also told us that the company’s relationship with Carl Zeiss will extend to lenses designed for the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, unveiled at this year’s PMA.

Schmiddi

Also I would hope for an adapter to add Leica M - lenses to the body. Full manual for sure, but with live view and a hopefully very good view finder (with 100%-mode) focussing should not be a problem. But of course Zeiss glass is very welcome :)

Andreas

Amin

It still really surprises me that Panasonic is completely silent at PMA. Perhaps they were waiting for Sony to make their announcements? I know that sounds far fetched but so is the silence.
Panasonic has at least one teaser that they will be announcing new cameras at Focus on Imaging in early March. Perhaps they are taking a cue from Apple, who always manage to get a lot of attention while avoiding CES to make their own announcements separate from the fray.