The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old Collapsible lenses (M39)- can you collapse them on M 4/3 body?

madmaxmedia

Does anyone know if old M39 collapsible lenses can be collapsed in a M 4/3 body? (without destroying the sensor of course.)

I was thinking about getting an old Industar 22 to play around with, something like that. The flange distance is of course the same with an adapter on M 4/3, but there's all the other stuff in a M 4/3 body.

Thanks!

wjlapier

Almost. Turn the lens to closest focus and you'll be able to put it in with about 1/4 in of the barrel still outside the lens mount. I have an old nickel elmar I've used on the GF1.

Now, if you wanted to try something, maybe grind down the locking ridges ( whatever the are called ) and it might go all the way in to the sensor :p

madmaxmedia

LOL. Too bad, I thought it would be cool on a E-P1/GF1 if the lens could be collapsed.

I already have a Industar 26 (I got on a Fed 2), so won't bother looking for a 22...

kai.e.g.

The I-22 is nice on the E-P1, even if it doesn't fully collapse. It would be nice if it had a double collapsing tube.... like those collapsible drinking cups for camping ;-)

madmaxmedia

I have my eye on a beater collapsible Summicron (LTM) right now. That this one collapses is irrelevant to me, but maybe this one can actually collapse on-body. It only collapses about 1/2", and the extra LTM flange distance itself makes up for most of that (8mm).