The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the GF1 at Mardi Gras

I spent five days in New Orleans leading up to Mardi Gras on Fat Tuesday. I shot over 1200 photos during that time, many experimental.

If you'd like to see a few of the results of the GF1 using the 45-200 and the 14-45 visit my website at: www.boxedlight.com and click on the GF1 section. There is a black and white section and a color section from New Orleans.

Both the lenses performed very well and the battery life was exceptional. Seems like I shot all day on just one battery and only at the end of the day did it move off full charge.

My only regret is that my M-Mount adapter did not arrive until the day after I left for New Orleans. I picked up a 90mm Elmar for next to nothing and really wanted to try it out... Anyway, thought I would share some of these with you.

A few samples here.... with many more on the website...

Tullio

Very nice, Jim. What film mode and settings (contrast, sharpness and saturation) did you use? I noticed that SMOOTH gives me a bit better DR but the images are not as sharp (even if I bump up sharpness to +2).

Very nice, Jim. What film mode and settings (contrast, sharpness and saturation) did you use? I noticed that SMOOTH gives me a bit better DR but the images are not as sharp (even if I bump up sharpness to +2).
I use all settings set to 0.. in other words.. standard factory settings. I do not use film modes with the exception of dynamic black and white and rarely use that. All color was shot in standard mode. Many of the BW shots were converted in Photoshop CS3.

I have never understood why people want to try to do in-camera what should be done in post. You have much greater control in post than trying to do it in the camera itself. I guess some just don't want to be bother with any post work. To me, that's half the fun.

Tullio

Thanks, Jim. I guess you may say I'm one of those who do not like to spend hours and hours PP'ing images in PS. So, the closer to my liking a camera can produce images, the better. I still do a fair amount of PP but nothing to do with unsharp mask or curves.

Tullio...

Thanks, Jim. I guess you may say I'm one of those who do not like to spend hours and hours PP'ing images in PS. So, the closer to my liking a camera can produce images, the better. I still do a fair amount of PP but nothing to do with unsharp mask or curves.
Tullio,

I do not spend hours in front of the computer doing post. At the most I might spend 2 to 3 minutes on a single image, usually less. I do minor tweaks and that's about it.

All I am saying is that 99% of the time you will get better results from post than in-camera processing.

I happen to be one of those who enjoys post on a number of levels.

Rawfa

Re: Tullio...

Tullio,

I do not spend hours in front of the computer doing post. At the most I might spend 2 to 3 minutes on a single image, usually less. I do minor tweaks and that's about it.

All I am saying is that 99% of the time you will get better results from post than in-camera processing.

I happen to be one of those who enjoys post on a number of levels.
I absolutely agree. I just love to get home after a day shooting and exploring all the different possibilities I have in post. For me it's like double the pleasure. Like, first you get excited about having got the shot just the way you want it, and then you get excited again for giving it even more life.
Personally, most of the time I shoot plain to get the most detail and dynamic range possible so that I can then give the photo the look I've visualized while shooting...or a surprising different look.