The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is Noise a problem in the Real World

Over at DPReview there is a 4/3 thread about chip size and it has attracted the usual DPR ranting (!!) so it's hard to get a calm answer.

The thread started with the comment:-

" the difference in high ISO noise performance below 3200 is only an issue in views at 100% and barely noticeable in REAL WORLD applications (web images or images printed at normal sizes of 16"x20" or below)"

Is that rubbish - or not. I know I will get a cool considered answer around here.

Tony
London UK

V

Vivek

Depends on what you really shoot.

I have not seen anything that impresses me from many fora that heaps praise on D3 (now they are singing praise for the D3s and gave up the old D3) while showing ISO2.5million shots of kitchen sinks under candle light.

What you need, you will buy and use.

Would like the image quality to improve on the m4/3rds cams that I use? The answer is, yes.

Would I carry a truck sized cam for what I do? Never.

Jonas

" the difference in high ISO noise performance below 3200 is only an issue in views at 100% and barely noticeable in REAL WORLD applications (web images or images printed at normal sizes of 16"x20" or below)"

That's rubbish and exactly the sort of reply making a discussion go havoc and turn into something totally meaningless a fanboy only can enjoy. (OK, I don't know the thread over at DPR you mention, maybe it ended up into something usable.)

It's rubbish because it is true for some users while it is not for other.

Do you often find yourself processing your images (for example by lifting the shadows) in the search for a high dynamic range images showing life like details all over the histogram? And print big, and doing this at ISO 200 or 400? Well, then you may very well need a FF camera. That's an example. The boy you quoted is clearly having lower IQ demands than I have.

I'm for the most part satisfied with the image quality toy see fro the 4/3 and µ4/3 cameras. There is something with blotchy Panasonic noise I don't like really, and I try to keep to ISO 100 and 200.

So, you got two considered replies, but no answer. I think you should download raw images from Imaging Resource and have a look for yourself. Is it good enough for you?

regards,

/Jonas

Diane B

That's rubbish and exactly the sort of reply making a discussion go havoc and turn into something totally meaningless a fanboy only can enjoy. (OK, I don't know the thread over at DPR you mention, maybe it ended up into something usable.)

It's rubbish because it is true for some users while it is not for other.

Do you often find yourself processing your images (for example by lifting the shadows) in the search for a high dynamic range images showing life like details all over the histogram? And print big, and doing this at ISO 200 or 400? Well, then you may very well need a FF camera. That's an example. The boy you quoted is clearly having lower IQ demands than I have.

I'm for the most part satisfied with the image quality toy see fro the 4/3 and µ4/3 cameras. There is something with blotchy Panasonic noise I don't like really, and I try to keep to ISO 100 and 200.

So, you got two considered replies, but no answer. I think you should download raw images from Imaging Resource and have a look for yourself. Is it good enough for you?

regards,

/Jonas
Without getting into this too much, I tend to agree with Jonas, though I often can find higher ISO images useful from my m4/3rds (to ISO800). I'm not a pixel peeper nor am I as interested in the technical issues, but I am interested in my final image--usually a print. I have shot with a FF camera (5D for 4 years)--continue to at times, but I'm willing to make the compromises, though not so burdensome as some feel, to enjoy photography again out in the world with my smaller kit. I've carried heavy gear for years--but just am not willing to do it any longer.

I do sort of have to laugh though--my first DSLRs were the Canon D30 and D60 (I take that back--my first was a fixed lens DSLR, the Oly E10)--and we didn't shoot above ISO400 then--and I still shot a good deal of low available light and am still happy with those photos. These are APS-C cameras with the sensor not being much larger than a 4/3rds also--so I do try to remember this and keep things in perspective. Things have improved considerably in the noise area--and RAW converters have improved considerably as well, so you just have to decide what works for you.

Diane