The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Testing the Olympus E-P1 for water proofing

jonoslack

Hmm could this be the last shot taken with my Pen:

I was jumping over the ditch that the stream was running into. . . . . and the camera popped out of my pocket and straight into the depths. I did fish it out, but in that muddy water it took about 5 minutes with my arm in the water to find it. Fortunately it had the kit lens on rather than the panaleica, it doesn't seem to have water sloshing around, and the compartments only had a few drops.

I'll report back in a few days when it's dry enough to put a battery in!

I fear the omens are not good :cry::cry:

kdphotography

*ouch*

At least it wasn't salt-water.....which is instant death.

*ouch* nonetheless. But on the upside, maybe a good opportunity for that EP-2 you've been looking at....

;)

jonoslack

*ouch*

At least it wasn't salt-water.....which is instant death.

*ouch* nonetheless. But on the upside, maybe a good opportunity for that EP-2 you've been looking at....

;)
Well - yes, but I was rather hoping to sell the EP-1 to fund it!

anyone want to buy a 'water tested' EP-1?:ROTFL:

jonoslack

ouch.... we feel your pain... still if it does work then it will be story worth selling to olympus :)

kev and cam
Thank you - I guess it won't be coming to Paris - still, you never know. Emma once dropped a Canon G7(?) into a pond, and it filled up completely - still worked after a careful drying out.

Actually, it isn't so much pain as foolishness . . . I was thinking 'can I jump across there without getting my feet wet', never occurred to me that my pocket was open!

nugat

Thank you - I guess it won't be coming to Paris - still, you never know. Emma once dropped a Canon G7(?) into a pond, and it filled up completely - still worked after a careful drying out.

Actually, it isn't so much pain as foolishness . . . I was thinking 'can I jump across there without getting my feet wet', never occurred to me that my pocket was open!
So it's really a pocketable camera!

jonoslack

Thank goodness it wasn't the M9.:eek:
Hi Cindy
Well, the M9 has passport warranty for two years, so they would have fixed it . . . but yes, you are right . . . and I probably would have had the tri-elmar on it too!:eek:

Nugat
with the kit lens it easily fits in a jacket pocket . . . and easily jumps out!

Bob - Franco - Terry; thank you for the sympathy, but, as Cindy says, at least it wasn't the M9 - and I think it may recover - it looks dry this morning, and there really didn't seem to be any sloshy water in it.

Ian - I can probably claim on the insurance, but experience tells me that it has a horrible effect on your next and subsequent premiums . . . and is almost certainly not worthwhile. We were going to claim for an ipod (they were quite happy about this), but we did actually ask what it would do to the premium, and, bold as brass, they told it that it would put the premium up by 60% of the value of the ipod - and stay there! We tend to keep it for the big claim.

all the best - I'll definitely keep everyone informed, currently I'm quite hopeful, but of course I haven't turned it on yet (foolish, but not that foolish!).

Incidentally, the picture above was from a Sandisk SD card which had also been submerged for a few minutes (FWIW).

all the best

jonoslack

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

it works

:thumbs::wtf::thumbs:

I'll have to check all the IS etc, I think I'll also have to clean the sensor, but switching it on the AF works, the LCD works, the lens works.

I'm amazed - it was under the flowing muddy water for at least 3 minutes.

nugat

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

it works

:thumbs::wtf::thumbs:

I'll have to check all the IS etc, I think I'll also have to clean the sensor, but switching it on the AF works, the LCD works, the lens works.

I'm amazed - it was under the flowing muddy water for at least 3 minutes.
Now who's gonna drop his D3 into water for comparison?
:thumbs: