The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's official. Noktor's for real.

gero

micro4/3 and 35mm is a different immage circle size so the comparison to the noctilux is not fair.

It does look nice for m4/3 cameras though.

Who cares if it is cheap, if the IQ stinks. The sad truth is that most of these legacy lenses wouldn't be worth more than $40 if they were marketed and sold by Panny and Oly, as the lens reviews would be murderous. They just weren't designed for the sensor.

Sure there are exceptions but my opinion is that most legacy lenses are best suited for video (and I did like the Noktor's video sample very much). I've got a $35 Zenit lens that is a fantastic performer and unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, or plan on shooting professional video at night, I just don't see the value.

K

Kewk

I'm sure the MTF charts etc would be pretty lousy for this lens. Same for the c-mounts.

Personally I like the look I get out of something like my 25mm f1.5 Wollensak wide open. It's a not "good" lens, with vignetting, blue corners etc, but because I like the images it captures.

There's more to life than shooting brick walls. If your style demands only the sharpest optics that's fine, but this lens offers a the unique look only a really fast lens can provide.

Let me ask this: What 50mm 0.95 lens is better for the money?

V

Vivek

I'm sure the MTF charts etc would be pretty lousy for this lens. Same for the c-mounts.
What do you mean by that and why do you say that?

If that is based on a Wollensak, it is perfectly understandable.

K

Kewk

Vivek,
Since the c-mount lenses are all designed for 16mm film, they will hideous performance on an MTF based on a 4/3rds sensor (18mm versus 10mm width). I don't think anyone has actually bothered to do this.

Are you dumping on my Wollensak? It's a lovely lens. Be nice.

V

Vivek

I bet the Wollensak has a nice diaphram. They all do.:)

Not all c-mount lenses fit your idea. Too much projection based on hypothetical
presumptions.

Some c-mount lenses do have mtf data. Search for Schneider lenses, for example.

K

Kewk

I bet the Wollensak has a nice diaphram. They all do.:)

Not all c-mount lenses fit your idea. Too much projection based on hypothetical
presumptions.

Some c-mount lenses do have mtf data. Search for Schneider lenses, for example.
k, 2 c-mount lenses in the with MTF charts that go out to 11mm. Star sticker for Vivek.

Based on my real experience,not hypothetical presumptions, having own 9 different c-mount lenses, I can say that don't do well in the corners since they weren't designed for it. The longer the focal length the better they look.