The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

s.agar

dpreview.com has published a preview. They have compared the G2 with G1, where G2 shines.

But the real comparison should have been made with the GH1.

Apart from touch sensitive LCD, and the new Venus Engine HD II processor, there seems to be not much differences to justify an upgrade from GH1.

What do you think?

Seyhun

pellicle

I notice that the G10 is 100g or so lighter than the G1 and nearly as light as the GF-1

this is interesting as unlike the GF the G10 will give you some sort of EVF, both have video but neither have swivel screens.

pellicle

as to comparing to the GH1 I'm not sure ... I think that still has its unique sensor, and I notice unlike the G1 its not discontinued.

I like some of the aspects of the touch screen, and being a palm pilot user for over a decade I can say that I'm pleased to see touch screen things on some of the functionality. That will be very nice when camera is on tripod and using screen from behind - side - front ... something I do a quite a bit (side, not front)

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I had been hoping that the G2 might get the GH1's sensor but, reading carefully through the specs and comparison with the G1 at DPreview, there was nothing that would tempt me to upgrade from the G1. I guess I'll wait until the GH2 is released later in the year. Or until Olympus, Samsung, or Sony ships a mirrorless camera that appeals to me.

Terry

The G2 is not intended to be an upgrade for the GH1. The GH2 will be that camera. From all I've read about this release, Panasonic is making the G series the photo centric cameras and the GH series the more advanced video hybrids. Expect the GH2 at Photokina at the end of September.

For me the G2 will be interesting over the G1 if it gets an extra ISO stop (GH1 already does). The other point of interest is the adjustment of the buttons and where things are. For instance the movement of the quick menu to the back is important. the lever switch for the focus method is useful, etc.

If the touch screen works well and a couple of the DPReview niggles are sorted out, using the control panel with touch or MF with touch magnification could be very interesting.

dpreview.com has published a preview. They have compared the G2 with G1, where G2 shines.

Apart from touch sensitive LCD, and the new Venus Engine HD II processor, there seems to be not much differences to justify an upgrade from GH1.

What do you think?

Seyhun

CPWarner

The touch screen could be very useful for macro work. Other than that, I do not see a huge advantage. That said, my 12 year old son thought it was the coolest thing he has seen yet. My guess, is that I may be a bit too old school! :)

photoSmart42

There's no reason to compare the G2 with the GH1. Panasonic has stated they're on different product development paths, with the GHx series being their premium models which will get all the latest innovations. Think of the GHx series as the premium models, the Gx series as the mid-level models, the G1x series as the entry-level (low price) models, and the GFx series as the pocket models.

Is there a reason to be excited about the G2? Perhaps not if you're a G1 owner, but from the point of view of the format progressing and advancing, absolutely! The G2 being launched, along with all the other version by Olympus and soon by other companies, means the m4/3 format is here to stay for a while, which in turn means better technologies and lower prices in the future. Very, very exciting!

V

Vivek

Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

Looks like there is none. :(

T

tripper

" and the new Venus Engine HD II processor "

I think a lot depends on whether Panasonic have 'squeezed' a little more IQ out of this processor.

tripper

greypilgrim

Perhaps the most disappointing thing to me is they didn't fix the autobracketing. Why they cannot increase the EVE steps for autobracketing is beyond me. That should be a trivial firmware upgrade for existing cameras.

Other than that, I see a refinement to the G1 which IMO is a very capable camera. Need a second body? Then it's a better option than the G1 was. But I don't see anything massively compelling if you already have a G1 unless you want to shoot video.

For me, there is some interest as I'd like a second body so I can consider converting my G1 to IR.

Doug

Terry

I think the G10 might be a great candidate for people wanting a dedicated IR camera. I think it is going to come in less expensive and what we found on the Salton Sea workshop with the GF1 IR's is the EVF becomes invaluable. This happens because the colors on the LCD are so muted and low contrast it is harder to frame in bright conditions.

It will be interesting to see what the US price point come in at.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

Not much. But if you want video on the side than 720p is nice to have.

I really hope for the GH-2 that they raise the bar for video a lot.

vincechu

Hi guys here's a promo video for the G2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01q7gr2_TQQ

I agree there isnt too much to be excited about but I'm very interested in the new Venus Engine HD II, if it gives us better ISO performance and IQ then I might be tempted to upgrade. The touch screen interface seems like a good idea and should make the G2 more user friendly and I can see the touch to focus idea being a big hit :)

vincechu

Agreed, especially because the G2 kind of closes the gap between the G and GH series. I hope they introduce the rumoured back-lit sensor for the GH2 too ;)

Terry

The very last thing they show on the YouTube clip "pulling focus" with the touch screen in movie mode is pretty slick.

Diane B

I think there are some really nice videos being done. I thought I might be somewhat interested and have done a bit with the GF1, but found it doesn't interest me very much now. So--as I thought, I will wait until Fall and see what the GH2 brings as I'm mostly interested in DR, etc.--and expect that's the body that will see any more improvement there--and I hope it will be available as body only.

Terry's idea of the G10 for IR does interest me a bit as I've sold my IR camera--and might like to have one for some summer travel.

I just watched the video and agree--the touch for pulling focus is cool.

Diane

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Probably exciting enough for those who planned to buy a G1 but waited till now. As for me, I bought a GH1, body only, plus an F-mount adapter, yesterday. Looks kind of weird with the 105mm f/1.8 mounted, but I'll take the combo for a spin tomorrow :)

Y.B.Hudson III

was hoping to get G3 connectivity... for web browsing... and at least an mp3 player, and I want it in pink...

I do hope t' Light well is improved, and that the sensor is in the center of the optical plane...*

* it's not on many of the G1's... as can be noted by the darker right edge of many MFL pics posted on the web :)

Last edited:

RichA

Should have replaced fragile skin covering

What do you think?

Seyhun
I don't care much about video and 720P is sufficient for any non-professional. The sensor upgrade is the best thing, IMO, if it has the GH1 sensor, one stop better hig ISO. I don't like touch screens, they just look disgusting from fingerprints. It remains to be seen how the novelties in it will be put to use by people.