The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

Terry

Battery life is not a strong suit of the G1 so I do wonder how using the touchscreen is going to impact on battery life ? maybe they have improved power usage but I guess they would be shouting it loud if they had ?

tripper
I think it depends on what you are comparing it to. Compared to my D700 or A900, I agree. Compared to Oly, it is like double. I'm actually very happy with battery life on both G1 and GF1

Diane B

Well, in truth, Godfrey about hits it on the head for what I want. Even though I asked about the 14-42 it was more about clarifying the OIS/IBIS question--which I believe will remain OIS and that's okay with me. Its how I've shot for many years.

Diane

Yes, of course there is.

They left a darn good camera design intact and did a couple of careful updates to control ergonomics, added the now-well-worked out HD video capture, added the latest image data handling and processing system.

This insane need for every new model to be something "New, Groundbreaking, Different,..." blah blah blah is ridiculous to me. I don't need to be titillated and dizzy with excitement when an updated model for my present camera is released. I need and want a solid, well worked out, incremental improvement on something I already know works brilliantly.

I think Panasonic's done just the right thing with their model line. Produced a cheaper model in the line for those who can't afford the more expensive ones, produce a better version of an existing excellent model, and keep on going.

The only thing I don't know or care about is the new version of the kit lens. Panasonic: "Please make the G2 available as a body-only kit. I have all the lenses I need, and I didn't need the 14-45/3.5-5.6 zoom. I don't need another 14-42 zoom either."

Diane B

I do like my GF1 and the EVF accessory--wouldn't have bought it without. I added the leather full case so now I carry the camera in my handbag without care, the EVF in its little case to be added (it snaps onto the strap)--for more casual shooting.

Its also a nice second body for me--def. not my first as the G1 suits my needs better all round, but I like having 2 bodies whenever I shoot---and the GF1 tucks into a bag really easily--hardly know its there. The G10 may replace the GF1 for some as a 'second' body--or more inexpensive way to enter m4/3rds--esp. for P & S upgraders.

Diane

yes, exactly as you say, optional plug in ... but you need to spend another US$199 on top of the (IMHO already inflated) price of the GF-1 ... as it is an accessory (haven't seen it bundled by panasonic yet) I wasn't including that in the list of camera features.

Thus out of the box my above simplification stands:
The G10 will give you some sort of EVF, while the GF-1 will not. Both have video but neither have swivel screens.

but as you point out the option exists for adding to the GF what the G10 comes with standard. I'll be real interested to see the price of the G10.

Also, as the LVF-1 will weigh something it will alter the weight spec of the GF-1 which people like to tout as being a factor. And if you have it fitted it'll make it less pocketable than it is without it (another point people love to cite about the GF-1, its more pocketable)

this is not to say I don't like the GF-1, as I do. I would like to buy one but as it comes with less features I don't feel like paying more for what I see as less.

pellicle

Di

I do like my GF1 and the EVF accessory--wouldn't have bought it without.
out of interest, did you pay more for your GF1 + EVF than you did for your G1?

just wondering, though perhaps I'd pick up the EP-2 as my second tuck away body :)

Diane B

Yes LOL. I bought my G1 for $539 from Canada back in Dec. 2008 from Ebay. A number of us got great prices then. I paid full price for my GF1 and got my EVF from Monza at a bit of better price for getdpi folks--so yes, paid more.

So--people would ask--why would I do that??? I guess even at that price, still not a bad price when you consider I paid $500 for the Canon G9 (just out--and it never served my purpose and is now my husband's carry around) and it has the PITS for an OVF (I added a Voigtlander 35mm finder--so that brought THAT one up--and didn't improve the usability nor the IQ for me LOL). I do use the GF1 quite a bit--and its nice to have the 20 or some other smaller lens on it and a longer or MF lens on the G1.

I like the, as you say, 'tuck away body'---it fits into a lens slot in my Domke F6, even with the EVF on--so hardly notice it, but nice to have along.

pellicle

Hi Di

over here in Finland the GF-1 + a EVF will set me back 928 euro (with the 14-45 and 978 euro with the 20mm) while an E-P2 with the Oly pancake (which comes with an EVF) will cost about 100 euro less (which is about US$140)

I consider the IBIS to be a benefit for things (like movies as well as the obvious) and thus think that E-P2 is a better buy

If the G10 comes in for less than the GF I'll swear

Diane B

That sounds a reasonable plan. I don't have any particular loyalty--just that I bought the G1 first--and then bought the GF1 because it had an EVF then--and then EP2 came out. The G10 sounds like it might be a good second also--price will count.

Hi Di

over here in Finland the GF-1 + a EVF will set me back 928 euro (with the 14-45 and 978 euro with the 20mm) while an E-P2 with the Oly pancake (which comes with an EVF) will cost about 100 euro less (which is about US$140)

I consider the IBIS to be a benefit for things (like movies as well as the obvious) and thus think that E-P2 is a better buy

If the G10 comes in for less than the GF I'll swear

s.agar

Godfrey,

Nice to know your opinion, which I asked for in the first place. Thanks for your reply.
I had given my own opinion just a few messages before yours, so you may have read it too. Byt that's not important. It's just a matter of opinion.

But taking your reply to a point to include the sentence "insane need for every new model to be something "New, Groundbreaking, Different,..." blah blah blah is ridiculous to me" which does not relate to me, was unnecessary. So I have to send it back to you.

Coming back to the technical discussion, with the present level of technology, I wouldn't be surprised to have a backlit sensor (like Sony is working on, and Ricoh is already using, etc.) or other improvements that can make it still better for high ISO photos. I also think that the highlight end needs some improvements (my personal opinion, others may not agree).

Summary: G2 is fine, but so are G1, GH1 and GF-1. I know that the improvements will be coming in a relatively short time, because the competition is tough.

Yes, of course there is.

They left a darn good camera design intact and did a couple of careful updates to control ergonomics, added the now-well-worked out HD video capture, added the latest image data handling and processing system.

This insane need for every new model to be something "New, Groundbreaking, Different,..." blah blah blah is ridiculous to me. I don't need to be titillated and dizzy with excitement when an updated model for my present camera is released. I need and want a solid, well worked out, incremental improvement on something I already know works brilliantly.

I think Panasonic's done just the right thing with their model line. Produced a cheaper model in the line for those who can't afford the more expensive ones, produce a better version of an existing excellent model, and keep on going.

The only thing I don't know or care about is the new version of the kit lens. Panasonic: "Please make the G2 available as a body-only kit. I have all the lenses I need, and I didn't need the 14-45/3.5-5.6 zoom. I don't need another 14-42 zoom either."

Godfrey

But taking your reply to a point to include the sentence "insane need for every new model to be something "New, Groundbreaking, Different,..." blah blah blah is ridiculous to me" which does not relate to me, was unnecessary. So I have to send it back to you. ...
No offense was intended. I was speaking out of exasperation reading several threads of similar nature where 'wails of discontent' seemed to be the norm that Panasonic had not created some god-like magical device imbued with mystical powers to excite and bedazzle with the G2 introduction.

It's an update to a camera, looks to be a sensible one. The added value seems to be worth it. More things will come in the future: life is good. For that I need to be excited? I'll buy one when it makes sense to, which depends on my work and on how quickly it is supported by Lightroom.

apicius9

FWIW, I fully agree with Godfrey. I am undecided about the touch screen but welcome the ergonomic changes. I just don't think the G2 is enough of an 'upgrade' from my GH1 to justify a purchase, but for everyone who has not yet bought into the MFT system, this should be a dream camera and a worthy successor of the G1. I imagine a lot of people who had waited to switch will make the move now. And my hope is that the more people do get into the system, the higher the likelihood that it will still be around in a few years, even if the competitors come up with alternatives. If the GH1 successor follows the same strategy AND improves IQ/low ISO performance I will definitely be interested.

Stefan

Godfrey

FWIW, I fully agree with Godfrey. I am undecided about the touch screen but welcome the ergonomic changes. I just don't think the G2 is enough of an 'upgrade' from my GH1 to justify a purchase ...
As others have said, I'm not sure that the G2 is supposed to be an upgrade for GH1 owners ... it's target is to upgrade the G1 model. The fact that it's added HD video notwithstanding.

I noticed in a post on another forum that the G2 and G10 are enabled to support non-CDAF FourThirds lenses, see the chart on DPNow.com and look at the Others section:

If this is true (and contrary to DPReview's preview information), then that's a big plus to make the G2 an more exciting proposition for a lot of folks. Also, in that chart, note the "feeding live view during burst shooting" and "still photo shooting during movie recording". Those two together by themselves could be enough reason to step up for some folks.

Brian Mosley

Feeding live view during burst mode shooting would certainly be something to get excited about... I can't remember and don't have my G1 to hand... what does it do now? doesn't it update with each shot as it's taken (as per the Pen)?

So this new mode suggests smooth EVF view while burst mode shooting?

Sounds very interesting.

Thanks for posting this Godfrey

Cheers

Brian

Y.B.Hudson III

Yehh... the viewfinder goes black after you press the shutter button...on the G1.

Not good when creatures are galloping in your direction.*

whoopy...in raw it's a three shot burst. I haven't read if thats inproved.

Then have a beer while it writes the files...

regards Hudson

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Well, that feature would certainly be welcome for the Pen - a 10+ shot raw buffer and fast write times are good, but you still see action as a series of freeze frames.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

... better sensor won't help pooly designed lenses...
Better sensor is what I look forward to.

"pooly designed lenses" are a hot item and they are in great demand.;)

BTW, I don't see any difference between GH-1 and G2, though I see all the specs and the claims of two separate lines, etc. Both are capable of shooting video and also come in many different colors.

Terry

BTW, I don't see any difference between GH-1 and G2, though I see all the specs and the claims of two separate lines, etc. Both are capable of shooting video and also come in many different colors.
Different sensors -GH1's is oversize and the different aspect ratios are not crops from 4,000 by 3,000.

V

Vivek

I would like to believe that the G2 and the G10 sport a newly developed sensor and Pana are not leaking any info on that until they clear the old stocks of G1, etc.

This may explain the lack of any sample pics or the ever changing specs in the leaks.

Terry

Does not make any difference to the resultant still images, does, it?
No, but there was an interview with a Panny engineer who said the G1/GF1 and GH1 had different sensors with different tech (I cant spout off the technicals other than one had digital vs analog readout).