The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G2 and G10 announced

photoSmart42

The announcement does mention OIS but it does not specifically states that's now IBIS. We assume it is since the new 14-42mm no longer has the switch.
It's not IBIS, it's still in-lens OIS. All they're doing is moving the switch from the lens to the camera menu. No reason to assume it's IBIS, and it's not. The lens still says OIS. I'd guess all but the pancake lenses will come with OIS.

Tullio

It's not IBIS, it's still in-lens OIS. ...The lens still says OIS. ...
Yes, I noticed that the lens says OIS after I had written my post. That means if one uses the lens with the Oly EPn/EPL1, only the IBIS will be active, which is a good thing.

I do believe I am switching to Oly...I was hoping (foolishly, I know) for in-body stabilization. I like legacy lenses (actually, Oly's for the most part) too much...

Michiel Schierbeek

I do believe I am switching to Oly...I was hoping (foolishly, I know) for in-body stabilization. I like legacy lenses (actually, Oly's for the most part) too much...
Me too but I am afraid the Olympus M4/3 bodys are to fragile to carry a lot of legacy lenses without a tripod mount. And IS is most useful with the longer lenses.
So there we have a problem.

Would like a stronger M4/3 body, preferable something like the L1, with an EVF hump on it.
But if that will come true, I doubt it, it is against the smaller and lighter direction M4/3 is going.
For that I probably have to move back to Olympus 4/3, but do I really want that?

Michiel

As a committed Canon EOS user, who is thinking about adding a Panny 4/3 for travelling, I am surprised at how few people are mentioning the G10.

I am going to Focus tomorrow and had thought I might come back with a G1. Now I find the G10 offers me:-

A new HD2 engine.
6400 ISO instead of 3200
Burst shooting and a viewfinder supporting it.

I'm finding it odd that there is so much chat about the touch screen (IMHO a recipe for trouble) and movie mode (what serious photographer is going to try to make movies with a still camera?) and yet hardly anyone is making pointers to the way the 1 has moved forward with the 10.

Tony

pellicle

Tony

As a committed Canon EOS user, who is thinking about adding a Panny 4/3 for travelling,
I was a commited EOS user, and for a long time too. After waiting years for digital EOS to allow me make sense of my TS-E lenses (24 and 90, so no full frame = no sense) and trying to like the 10D and 20D. When the G1 came out I gave up on the digital EOS and bought that.

Now I'm a Panasonic FD and OM user ;-)

I am surprised at how few people are mentioning the G10.
I agree with you ... I think that the G10 is very interesting. Sufferers of CFO are perhaps blinded to the fact that the G10 will come in with more or less exactly the specification of the GF-1 + its LVF1 finder plus a few extra advances in onboard JPG engine. I'm willing to bet that the price of the G10 will be cheaper than that pair (GF + LVF).

Since forums like this seem to be a small circle of friends (which is good to have btw) I put my thoughts about such a G10 -> GF-1 feature / price comparison on my blog.

So, what'll happen with the pricing of the G10?

If it comes in at less than the GF-1 (my suspicion) it will then make the GF-1 look more over priced and under featured than it does now. If it comes in over that price then it will be far too close to the G2 in price (which can't be too high with the GH1 already setting the upper limits and of course great cameras like the new Canon 550D nipping at the market).

Adding Godfreys observation that the G10 will allow the use of more of the Oly 4/3 lenses I'm even more interested.

Terry

The G10 will surely come in cheaper than the GF1. I actually expect by a decent margin.

Even though the size in mm isn't much different between the G1/G2 and the GF1 in practical use, they feel very different. Packing them in a bag with or without lens, they are very different (just traveled with both). So, it isn't all about specs, form factor makes a difference.
Just as we've said all along that the G1 was the good value, I believe the G10 will carry that title going forward.

pellicle

Hi there

The G10 will surely come in cheaper than the GF1. I actually expect by a decent margin.

Even though the size in mm isn't much different between the G1/G2 and the GF1 in practical use, they feel very different. Packing them in a bag with or without lens, they are very different (just traveled with both). So, it isn't all about specs, form factor makes a difference.
well I sort of find the principle of charging so much more for just that (easier to make) form factor a little bit of a bitter pill

:deadhorse:
:cool:

Diane B

I understand, but even though I've said many times that if I could choose only one m4/3rds it would be the G1, I still have to say that the G1 and GF1 seem very different. Just now switching the 20 f/1.7 to the G1 and the FD 28 f/2.0 with metal hood to the GF1 (far from the pancake 20)--they still seem very different in handling and usage--along with the fact that the metal (mostly??) body of the GF1 seems quite different to my hands from the coated body of the G1. For some--that makes a difference--even to me at times LOL. And--I really do like handling it better with a 1/2 cover and mostly handling by the lens as opposed to a more 3 point handling/shooting of the G1. (Even when I have the EVf on the GF1 most of the time) I tned to angle it and look down rather than through from eye level--though at times the 3 point is helpful for shooting technique. There are pros and cons--with, I think, the pros going to the G1 for me.

Some people will never like the DSLR form of the G1(et al) and prefer the sleek, no frills box like form of the GF1. The fact that you can stick the EVF in a pocket (in its case) and carry it separate does make it easy to carry the GF1in a large pocket or small handbag. I do it often--even adding the 45 f/2.8. The G1 just seems to take up a lot more room LOL in actual usage. I also read in various places that if the poster wanted a DSLR style camera they would just stick with their 'large' DSLR--not really getting the really big difference (for me) between, say, a 5D/D300--even E3 from the light G1--and the really REALLY big difference once one adds the lenses required for the DSLRs as opposed to what most of us shoot with on the G1--including adapted MF lenses.

Still--I feel sure going on that as I upgrade bodies in the future, they are more likely to be in the G1 genre than the GF1. If THAT says much LOL.

I'm not an apologist for the GF1--but I sort of understand the attraction to it over the G1---and some people are still willing to pay the difference. And--for some, its not that much to make them choose the G1.

Diane

Last edited:

pellicle

Di

I'm not sure if you're replying to me ... but assuming you are

I understand
I still have to say that the G1 and GF1 seem very different.
they still seem very different in handling and usage
yes, I do grasp all that, but my point is not that one size fits all, but that different sizes of essentially the thing should not cost as differently as they do.

Once upon a time people would argue that this or that camera would be worth more or less because it had a better sensor, or more expensive technology.

The EVF must add something to the cost, yet the GF does not have it standard the G1 and the G10 do so why is the GF dearer?

that is my point

Diane B

Yes, I do understand--its not rational OR reasonable, but that's the way it is. And--for some it doesn't make much difference so they (Panny) will continue to price it like that until it doesn't sell at that price. Competition will (and probably has) help in adjusting that price somewhat. I do have to say also that there is something 'different' about the GF1 as opposed to the G1--looks, form, feel. whatever--but it does play into that 'cachet' that some like in a camera.

In all honesty I haven't priced the EP2 plus EVF to compare---so if one wants that form plus an EVF, maybe that's the better route if its less. If one just wants to get into the m4/3rds with an EVF--the G10 should do that we assume at a better price point. I think (haven't paid too much attention) that you still have to buy an accessory EVF for the EPL-1--so don't know if that gets at a better price point or not.

Diane

Di

I'm not sure if you're replying to me ... but assuming you are

yes, I do grasp all that, but my point is not that one size fits all, but that different sizes of essentially the thing should not cost as differently as they do.

Once upon a time people would argue that this or that camera would be worth more or less because it had a better sensor, or more expensive technology.

The EVF must add something to the cost, yet the GF does not have it standard the G1 and the G10 do so why is the GF dearer?

that is my point

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I understand, but even though I've said many times that if I could choose only one m4/3rds it would be the G1, I still have to say that the G1 and GF1 seem very different. Just now switching the 20 f/1.7 to the G1 and the FD 28 f/2.0 with metal hood to the GF1 (far from the pancake 20)--they still seem very different in handling and usage--along with the fact that the metal (mostly??) body of the GF1 seems quite different to my hands from the coated body of the G1. For some--that makes a difference--even to me at times LOL. And--I really do like handling it better with a 1/2 cover and mostly handling by the lens as opposed to a more 3 point handling/shooting of the G1. (Even when I have the EVf on the GF1 most of the time) I tned to angle it and look down rather than through from eye level--though at times the 3 point is helpful for shooting technique. There are pros and cons--with, I think, the pros going to the G1 for me.

Some people will never like the DSLR form of the G1(et al) and prefer the sleek, no frills box like form of the GF1. The fact that you can stick the EVF in a pocket (in its case) and carry it separate does make it easy to carry the GF1in a large pocket or small handbag. I do it often--even adding the 45 f/2.8. The G1 just seems to take up a lot more room LOL in actual usage. I also read in various places that if the poster wanted a DSLR style camera they would just stick with their 'large' DSLR--not really getting the really big difference (for me) between, say, a 5D/D300--even E3 from the light G1--and the really REALLY big difference once one adds the lenses required for the DSLRs as opposed to what most of us shoot with on the G1--including adapted MF lenses.

Still--I feel sure going on that as I upgrade bodies in the future, they are more likely to be in the G1 genre than the GF1. If THAT says much LOL.

I'm not an apologist for the GF1--but I sort of understand the attraction to it over the G1---and some people are still willing to pay the difference. And--for some, its not that much to make them choose the G1.

Diane
I only care for built in EVF and smallest possible body. I would not care about the style of the camera, but must admit I would prefer a slightly larger EP2 or GF1 like body with built in high resolution EVF.

Jonas

(...)
Because they can sell it for that much. Why is the G20/1.7 priced as it is? I think it is the same reason.

/Jonas

photoSmart42

I just wish the market would wise up a little and refuse to support that sort of thing ... but I'm just :banghead:
Actually, you don't want to wish that the market refuse to support 'that sort of thing'. Higher initial prices, if they're supported by the market (as they clearly are), means higher profitability and good returns on investment, which in turn leads to more and better future products. It also invites competition, which in the long term also results in better products and cheaper prices.

The market is wise enough to self-regulate pricing, and just because some people can't afford the initial high prices for a product (myself included), it doesn't mean there aren't others out there willing to be early adopters and make that investment.

This is what the result of price controls on the market would produce: link (I have one from growing up in the old country)

pellicle

Hi

Surely the 550D is not really a substitute?
550D
Dimensions 129 x 98 x 62 mm
Weight (inc batt/card) 530 g

G2
Dimensions 124 x 90 x 74 mm
Weight (inc. batteries) 428 g

550D looks a little blobby-er but its ball park ... 100g would be hard to feel once its got a lens on it and on your shoulder. Nowhere near the brick that a 5D is
Dimensions 152 x 113 x 75 mm
Weight (inc. batteries) 895 g

of course I don't like the lack of EVF or articulating screen, but I know one GH1 / GF-1 / EP-2 owner who takes stock photography who's seriously considering dumping all his 4/3 gear to go with this ...

Depending what you like to photograph the USM ring motor lenses on the Canon (like a EF300f4 IS) for which there is no parallel in the panasonic lineup. I know the G2 looks like it may be able to use CDAF compatible Oly lenses ...

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi
550D
Dimensions 129 x 98 x 62 mm
Weight (inc batt/card) 530 g

G2
Dimensions 124 x 90 x 74 mm
Weight (inc. batteries) 428 g

550D looks a little blobby-er but its ball park ... 100g would be hard to feel once its got a lens on it and on your shoulder. Nowhere near the brick that a 5D is
Dimensions 152 x 113 x 75 mm
Weight (inc. batteries) 895 g

of course I don't like the lack of EVF or articulating screen, but I know one GH1 / GF-1 / EP-2 owner who takes stock photography who's seriously considering dumping all his 4/3 gear to go with this ...

Depending what you like to photograph the USM ring motor lenses on the Canon (like a EF300f4 IS) for which there is no parallel in the panasonic lineup. I know the G2 looks like it may be able to use CDAF compatible Oly lenses ...
The 550 looks like a very competent alternative, but the lack of EVF and articulated screen made me buy a GH1 a couple of days ago. Still, there are some very good reasons to consider the 550 as well, since it can use most of the same legacy lenses as the Panasonic plus a couple of unique EF lenses like the 70-200 f/4. Even being a Nikon user, I see it as a much more compelling alternative than the D90. Nikon is the one with the head on the block in this class now, and they need to come up with a really competent camera, and fast.

T

tripper

Well I had a 'play' with a G2 today at the 'Focus on Imaging' show in the UK.

I thought Panasonic did well with their stand probably the largest floorspace of any exhibitor.

I liked what I saw on the G2 it retains all the great features of the G1 and adds more goodies to the mix. The USP is of course the touchscreen and while some may view this as a 'gimmick' please remember the touchscreen replaces nothing you can still 'drive' the camera the traditional way ( i.e the G1) I guess the touchscreen will feel pretty familiar to the mobile phone generation who have similar functionality on their iPhones etc. I found the touchscreen intuitive and a worthy addition and thought it worked really well and there may well be more fine tuning to be done before the june release.
I also welcome the ergonomic changes to the dial positions especially the front push dial moving to the back directly under your thumb. This is subjective but the build quality does seems better which has been one of the few complaints on the G1.
The Panasonic rep said the New Venus Engine HD11 processor in the G2 would bring the Image Quality up to the level of the GH1, I hope so because the GH1 is accepted to have superior noise performance.
Finally of course is the 720p video recording :) lets just hope it is all presented in an affordable package. :thumbs: I want one already.

tripper